How do u get raid to work? z68 pro3-m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do u get raid to work? z68 pro3-m

Have 2 samsung ssd they r detected at boot. Have set raid in BIOS & reboot no RAID setup option is displayed or no ctrl-i to enter raid is displayed. If I just press ctrl-i on boot up crash.
    I can boot off a usb stick to win7 setup & it sees 2 drives.
    If I just let it boot it will display post screen but then crash no mention of no OS
    Have tried other the other bios options with 1 & 2 drives after post screen just crash no mention of no os
    If I boot with no HDs at all it goes straight to setup.

BIOS 1.4
    Last edited by paul666; 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM. Reason: BIOS 1.4

Re: How do u get raid to work? z68 pro3-m

Ok,

I've fixed it & wld like to know what was the thinking behind the implementing it so the raid setup & there is no OS messages r displayed at a resolution that does not display on a HD TV, real cool that for a board that will pitch up in many htpc! Did not have this prob with my ASUS or abits (478!) board!

Hfreq 31.31 Khz
    Vfreq 69.73 Hz
    Pix ClK 27.9 Mhz
    Res 720*400

Also when u r in the raid setup once u have decided to create a raid volume u cannot move back up the pram list if u wish to make a change after u have moved onto the next item.

Also the raid menu at boot goes past to quickly.

U use the same resolution for the there is no OS screen!

Also ur BIOS update instructions r naff, for the USB stick option u refer to the smart menu in the BIOS, no such menu. U say stick has to b fat32 it says u have a lot more option in the BIOS. Also it would help if u said that u had to b in legacy usb mode to flash from a usb stick.

Finally when my board arrived (BIOS V1) usb was setup so u could not get into the BIOS thus requiring a PS2 kby - nice
    Last edited by paul666; 08-22-2011, 05:33 AM.

Comment

So that was because of the resolution?! daamn.. nice you figured that out.

I was also going to setup RAID but run into same issue and just decided to forget about since got other more important issues to solve.

Many nowadays companies are better in marketing with all the fancy and striking new titles for their new features but the are so bad at actual adquate testing and reliable implementation of the same features.

If a product would under open source license and price tag of few bucks max I wouldn't bother registering to the forums around globe to act as test user for search & researach

..and not to talk about availibility and technical knowldege of the customer services, OMG
      Last edited by Hubis; 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM. Reason: grama

Comment

Hi,

Sorry to hear u got stuffed as well.

I have had no choice but to get raid going as I have 2 64G SSDs & want to have them apear as 1 + also will be using the board as a server later so will need raid1.

Sad no comment from ASROCK yet

Comment

Isn't this a monitor problem? Most BIOS display is vga. I noticed that the option ROMs for the RAID chips output as vga (both Intel and Marvell). Isn't this true of all BIOS and option ROMs?

Does the UEFI spec provide some way to interface with option ROMs later in the BIOS startup providing an emulated VGA window?

Seems like this problem has existed from the beginning of time, or almost.

Comment

I don't think so,

Raid part is displayed @ a res my TV cannot display
            Post is displayed at a res my TV can display
            No OS part displayed @ a res my TV cannot display

Not had this prob with any other MB so it must be a prob with the ASROCK BIOS, just fine with my ASUS & ABIT boards.

I think this is rather naff for a board that will see its way into a lot og HTPC.

Comment

So the only part you don't see is the RAID option ROM identification? The next thing after that is the full screen UEFI higher resolution display, unless you turn that part off and then you see initial post messages, before the UEFI startup. If it wouldn't be such a pain, I would try this with my HDTV on the PC input to see how it copes with vga.

Comment

I rebooted and turned off the full screen logo under the Boot menu. It doesn't appear to run the higher resolution bios at all when I do that. (unless I enter setup). I do still get a GTX460 startup message prior to the AMI BIOS messages. The text version of the BIOS also shows connected USB devices and the hard drives. I hadn't seen that before.

It would be nice if the HDTV could deal with VGA messages.

Comment

Yeah I've turned off the nice graphic so I can see all the post info & all I see is the cpu count, usb etc and then it starts to load windows.

If I use a standard mon I get the raid info displayed, then the post info & then windows starts to load.

Should I have no OS on my HD with the HDTV I get a blank screen on the standard mon I get a not OS or when ever the usual message is.

This is not a prob with my ASUS or ABit boards so it must be a prob with the ASROCK board.

I am using the built in graphics on my 2500k into a VGA (analogue) port on my HDTV.

In all cases INTEL chipset.

Comment

I did one of those empirical testing things. I connected to my Sony HDTV on the HDMI input and I see the same symptoms that you see when I use the onboard Intel video. Blank screen and then the Windows high resolution logo pops up after a bit.

If I use the GTX 460 HDMI instead, I see all the BIOS messages from the option ROMs and the AMI BIOS, the Windows splash screen for initial boot, and then the Windows high resolution screen.

So whatever issue there is with vga output must be the Intel video chipset, and not the BIOS. I will see if I can find anything with google.

Comment

Intresting I will see if I can find a spare display card tomorrow.

Comment

I couldn't find much with a google, but it's not the easiest problem to quantify. I know from prior use of the Intel onboard video that the BIOS messages are written and show up on my Dell monitor when using an HDMI connection. Maybe it's a failure to negotiate HDCP with the Sony HDTV? Grasping.

Comment

Don't know not got time to look today but I am using dsub at the mow so no hdcp involved.

Comment

I tried dsub also and had the same symptoms as hdmi which didn't seem right even though it matches what you see. So I asked the question that I should have asked myself yesterday, why do the BIOS messages come up on the nvidia (primary) but not on the IGD (secondary)?

So in my case at least, making the IGD the primary interface in the BIOS clarifies the problem. The BIOS messages go to the primary interface which makes sense of course.

You don't have another graphics adapter. Is it possible you are using another interface on the IGD but it's not hooked to anything? Guess it wouldn't hurt for you to also check your BIOS to make sure IGD is primary but maybe that doesn't matter unless you do have a secondary adapter.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X