ASRock H61M/U3S3 CPU Fan control problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock H61M/U3S3 CPU Fan control problem

I recently built a cheap general purpose PC using the ASRock H61M/U3S3 board and I also built another PC using the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 board.

They both have a facility to automatically control the speed of the CPU fan, via options in the BIOS.

In both PC's BIOS I've set the CPU fan to 50 degrees and Fan level 3 (the initial speed of the fan is 3, and this increases if the temp goes over 50).

This works fine on the Z68 board, but for some reason on the H61 board, the fan level keeps jumping back to level 6 (I can see the level in windows using the ASRock AXTU app). The temp is well below 50.

The BIOS shows the level as 3, but ATXU (in windows) shows it as 6, I can change it back to 3 in ATXU (and I can hear the fan slow down) but I'd prefer not to have to run ATXU every time I boot the box.

Note: I don't have AXTU set to start with windows.

I'm thinking there might be a bug in the BIOS (I upgraded to the latest 1.20 version).
    Does anyone else have this problem? Or know of some BIOS setting that I may have missed?

(The H61 board is only controlling the CPU fan, but on the Z68 the board is controlling the CPU and three case fans as well).
    Last edited by AdrianW; 08-22-2011, 07:15 AM.

Re: ASRock H61M/U3S3 CPU Fan control problem

Dear AdrianW,

We use Intel box fan and AMA CPU coolar to do the test, but we cannot see the symptom.
    BIOS: P1.20
    AXTU version: 0.1.56

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Check whether your AXTU version is 0.1.56 or not.
    If not, please kindly download the AXTU from below link and then try again.
    Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > H61M/U3S3 > Download
    2. Check the pin of CPU fan is connected to CPU_FAN1 connecter.
    3. If possible, please kindly change another CPU fan to check whether the symptom still occur.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Yes, I'm using 0.1.56 version of AXTU and the CPU fan is connected to CPU_FAN1 connector.

AXTU does control the fan successfully, I can change the speed between level 1 & 9. But, I've set level 3 in UEFI, but it always return to level 6 at reboot.

I just noticed that even putting the PC to sleep and the waking it, will cause the fan to return to level 6.

I'm using a i5 2500 CPU, with a CoolerMaster cooler, Win 7 64bit, BIOS 1.20.

Also, the the CPU fan is the only fan I have connected to the motherboard, my case fans are connected directly to the PSU.

I have noticed something else strange when booting:
      The UEFI boot screen appears, then I see some white text including "Using PCIE Gen 2" and "Can't find any device", and then the UEFI boot screen appears again. That doesn't seem normal.
      Last edited by AdrianW; 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I decided to reset the BIOS to defaults (F9) and start from scratch again.

About the only things I set were changing SATA to AHCI mode, setting CPU fan control to auto, and level 3. And disabling all the Super IO ports.

After rebooting - the weird "Using PCIE Gen 2" and "Can't find any device" messages have gone, the UEFI screen only appears once and the fan speed stays at level 3.

Maybe I'd accidentally set something previously. Or maybe I just needed to reset the BIOS using F9 after flashing to 1.20.

Anyway, everything's fine now - thanks.
        Last edited by AdrianW; 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Dear AdrianW,

Thanks for your reply.

About the message of "Can't find any device", it is related to your SATA3 port.
          If you don't install the HDD to SATA3 port(White port), the message will appear.
          It's normal behavior.

Thanks for your support.

Have a nice day
          ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Working...
          X