No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to use the EFI shell and/or install Windows 7 from EFI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to use the EFI shell and/or install Windows 7 from EFI?

I've spent the last three hours trying to figure out how to get windows 7x64 to install to GPT. As far as I can tell you need to install windows 7 from the EFI shell using the "launch EFI shell from filesystem device" but when I try that I just get a message that says "Not Found". I haven't found anything that really tells you how to get it to find a shell file or even how to get a shell file.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and solved it?

The bottom line is I want to install Windows 7x64 to a 3 TB hard drive (currently set up as GPT file partition) and utilize the full drive. I currently have a core-7 2600k on a ASROCK Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo.
    Last edited by ymisofine; 02-11-2012, 01:24 PM.

Re: Anyone know how to use the EFI shell and/or install Windows 7 from EFI?

I am guessing, but don't you need GPT drivers for win7? Win 7 only supports MBR/NFTS out of the box.

I know windows won't read any of my hackintosh partitions at all and say they have errors and windows would like to format them.

Not sure where you'd find such a driver. Maybe check hackintosh sites such as Insanely Mac or TonyMacx86?

Good luck
    -=Mark=-

ps a quick google and I came up with this from MS forums:
    How to clean install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit to a GPT - Microsoft Answers
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

MarkJohnson,

Try this guide. Has good info on the process, the reasons why etc.

Sean's Windows 7 Install Guide & Optimization for SSDs/HDDs

I haven't used it though, so don't know how well it works.

richard_o
      990FX Extreme 9 BIOS 1.70
      AMD FX 8350 @ stock clock
      Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X @ 1030 MHz (water cooled with Corsair H60 and HG10)
      16 GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10, 1866 MHz, 1.5V.
      Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD
      Seagate 4 TB SSHD (ST4000DX001)
      Pioneer BDR-209M Bluray writer/drive
      Corsair Carbide Air 540 case
      Noctua NHU-14S CPU cooler

Comment

Originally posted by ymisofine View Post
        I've spent the last three hours trying to figure out how to get windows 7x64 to install to GPT. As far as I can tell you need to install windows 7 from the EFI shell using the "launch EFI shell from filesystem device" but when I try that I just get a message that says "Not Found". I haven't found anything that really tells you how to get it to find a shell file or even how to get a shell file.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and solved it?

The bottom line is I want to install Windows 7x64 to a 3 TB hard drive (currently set up as GPT file partition) and utilize the full drive. I currently have a core-7 2600k on a ASROCK Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo.
        Using the EFI shell is not how to do it. You need to boot the Windows install disc in UEFI mode.
        This is from the FAQ on the ASRock website:

Code:
        Both in GPT mode, please refer below steps:
        1. Boot into BIOS→[Boot]→[PCI ROM Priority]→choose [EFI Compatible ROM], then press "F10” to save changes and exit.
        2. Then press "F11” when booting up and choose "UEFI:[your ODD name]” to install OS.

Comment

Working...
        X