GA-G41MT-S2PT does not like DVD-ROM drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-G41MT-S2PT does not like DVD-ROM drives

I recently bought a very troublesome GA-G41MT-S2PT. Among other small instabilities that seem to be under control at the moment, This unruly board does not like DVD-ROM drives. If I attach a SATA DVD-ROM drive, it does not boot correctly. It will post but no video. If I attach an IDE CDROM drive, the same happens. I tried setting the drive to SLAVE with a jumper, but it will not boot with a DVD drive in it at all. If it werent for the boot from USB option, it would not have a working OS on the HDD.

Any tips?

Re: GA-G41MT-S2PT does not like DVD-ROM drives

for the sata dvd drives you might be better setting to ahci in the bios and see if it helps installing windows ect
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

In less than 6 month the board went through 4 revisions so may be the wrong BIOS is installed.

Enter BIOS and press F9, what is your BIOS version and date?
      Check your board revision, printed at the corner above the far PCI slot I/O panel side.

Comment

As mentioned above, please use the latest BIOS, and flash to it with Qflash or DOS.

As for the IDE drive, be sure you set the jumper correctly for how you connect the drive to the cable. Master is the end of the cable, Slave is the middle, CS should work for either but does not always work for all devices.

For SATA, be sure you connect your OS drive to the first Intel port SATAII_0, and then put the SATA CD/DVD drive on the Last Intel port SATAII_3

Comment

He can't flash because the board is flashed with the wrong BIOS.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see that posted anywhere? That can be corrected with SPIFlash listed in our tools section!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Sorry, I didn't see that posted anywhere? That can be corrected with SPIFlash listed in our tools section!
              Oops I confused with another thread LOL sorry

Comment

Haha, OK, no worries! I thought maybe that's what happened

Comment

Ok:

- The board is Rev. 1.1.
                  - The BIOS REV. says "FA" Date: 08/03/2011
                  - This board does not have a AHCI option in BIOS. Its some kind of new hybrid EFI board.
                  - I tried using the 3rd SATA slot for the SATA DVD Drive originally, but it just does not boot with it installed.
                  - I jumpered the SATA drive to act as Slave, but that did not work either.
                  - An IDE DVD Drive acts the same.

Any DVD drive connected to this thing, it goes south. (Not to mention that sometimes audio pops and crackles when the mouse moves.)

Comment

Are you sure the CD/DVD drive works, please test in another computer if you have not lately as faulty drives can cause failure to boot. Just in case! You are right, no AHCI on this board due to ICH7 chipset

SATA drives do not use jumpers for Master/Slave, there is no Master/Slave on SATA. The jumpers only limit speeds or enable/disable functions depending on the model of the drive.

<s>See if the latest BIOS helps, please flash with Qflash or DOS. Once flashed enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again set any settings you need before loading windows, then save/apply/reboot again. DO NOT change anything in the Standard CMOS Page

Here's the latest BIOS for your board
                    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-G41MT-S2PT (rev. 1.1)

And here's a guide on how to flash with Qflash or DOS
                    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html</s>

Ahhh! Only one BIOS release for this board!! Hmm, are you at least starting with Optimized Defaults as mentioned above? If so, the only thing I think you can do now is contact Gigabyte directly and ask for a BIOS update, and let them know the exact model of drives you are having issues with. You can contact them here
                    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Comment

I finally got the drives to talk to the board after some trial and error. Apparently, you can't feed them in at the same time. One has to be recognized first. Then the other. Most likely because one was standard IDE, it forcefully took Channel 0 which pushed the SATA drives to the channels below it. Now to solve the popping and clicking from audio.

It seems to be stable for now, but I don't recommend this board to anyone.

Comment

run dpc latency checker for popping/clicking

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe

should look something like this if everythings ok

Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice to hear you got the drive issues sorted out!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                            run dpc latency checker for popping/clicking

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe

should look something like this if everythings ok

The only board I've ever owned that passed a DPC test was an AMD board from ASRock. The last few boards I've had were Gigabyte/Intel and each time I had to disable the CPU EIST function to get decent numbers.

Comment

So how does this board look for DPC with EIST, C1E, and C3/C6 disabled? No problems with DPC here ever with any Gigabyte boards, P35, P45, X58, P67, Z68, X79

Latency issues can be caused by many number of things - drivers, programs, BIOS itself, and hardware including mice/KB, CD/DVD/HDD, LAN cards, USB Cards, graphic cards, ect.

Here's the setup I'm using now X79-UD3, no problems with it, same as all other Gigabyte boards I've tested that on. To be honest, in the past some older BIOSes gave me issues on a few boards, but they always fixed it with BIOS updates.

Comment

Working...
                              X