Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whea_uncorrectable_error

Hello!

It is me again... I hope you guys can help me once more.

I have tried many BIOS configurations (OC, not OC, Defaults Settings, everything on Auto, XMP/Manual, etc) and I still getting this blue screen error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    The only new hardware in this machine is the motherboard, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, since my old one, Asus P8Z68-V Pro does not work anymore. I had no problem with the Asus motherboard.... Still, I might doing something wrong.

Memory: [ RipjawsX ] F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD - G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products
    CPU LGA1155 i7 2600k
    VGA ATI AMD Radeon 5850
    Power Supply XFX Black Edition 750W
    SSD Cosair Force Series 3

I think there is somehow to check the Minidump? How do I do that? Would it help to solve the problem?
    Windows does not collect the error info, keeps (0% complete).

I would appreciate very much if someone helps me fixing it.

Edit: I tried to read the dmp file... http://imageshack.us/a/img19/4470/bugqr.png
    Last edited by cybersrs; 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM.

Re: Whea_uncorrectable_error

With Windows 8, you're on your own with driver compatibility. Microsoft also does not have a hardware compatibility testing program with Windows 8, as they have in the past.

Are you running a dual boot, Win 7 and Win 8 system?

Basically the error you have is this:

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
    Scan your computer for computer viruses.
    Check your hard disk for errors.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      With Windows 8, you're on your own with driver compatibility. Microsoft also does not have a hardware compatibility testing program with Windows 8, as they have in the past.

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
      I'm using those drivers: ASRock > Z77 Extreme4
      I'm going to install windows 8 and check for new bug.... then I will reply to you again, thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

I just installed Windows 8 again and nothing else, no drivers inf, nothing... the only thing I did was Windows Update and run Prime95... Still getting the same error: http://imageshack.us/a/img12/6701/errorzqg.png
        Last edited by cybersrs; 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

A web search using: linux diagnostic live cd
          will provide you with links to download free Linux diagnostic CDs where you boot using the CD and run diagnostic programs.
          You do NOT need to install Linux on your system to run diagnostics or stress tests.
          I recommend that you test with an x64 version such as StressLinux.
          You might need to test with only one 4GB memory module installed.

Check out ASRock > Z77 Extreme4 Beta downloads for windows 8 beta driver downloads.
          I didn't see any windows 8 beta bios offerings.
          If/when you flash your bios, be sure to carefully read their How To Update instructions.
          Some forum members have run into problems when they didn't read the instructions.

In the Gigabyte forum, several members reported frequent Z77 win7 WHEA warning messages that occurred without a BSOD.
          I believe that the fix was with an updated bios.

Prior to win8, BSOD 0x124 was frequently caused by incorrect cpu voltage and/or some bus related voltage settings.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Why would you not install drivers? Fortunately, there are Windows 8 drivers listed for this board now. You MUST at least load the inf files, and the Intel Management Engine software. Since you have a SSD, installed in AHCI mode (right?) you could install the Intel RST driver.

In the UEFI, disable the Intel Rapid Start and Smart Connect, and don't load the Rapid Start driver. With a SSD, you don't need it, and Sleep/wake works fine on this board with SSDs (hopefully you have good firmware in your Corsair SSD.) Don't use a Beta BIOS, not worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              A web search using: linux diagnostic live cd
              will provide you with links to download free Linux diagnostic CDs where you boot using the CD and run diagnostic programs.
              You do NOT need to install Linux on your system to run diagnostics or stress tests.
              I recommend that you test with an x64 version such as StressLinux.
              You might need to test with only one 4GB memory module installed.

Check out ASRock > Z77 Extreme4 Beta downloads for windows 8 beta driver downloads.
              I didn't see any windows 8 beta bios offerings.
              If/when you flash your bios, be sure to carefully read their How To Update instructions.
              Some forum members have run into problems when they didn't read the instructions.

In the Gigabyte forum, several members reported frequent Z77 win7 WHEA warning messages that occurred without a BSOD.
              I believe that the fix was with an updated bios.

Prior to win8, BSOD 0x124 was frequently caused by incorrect cpu voltage and/or some bus related voltage settings.

I did replace my i7 2600k CPU for i5 3570k and the errors stopped.
              I tried to install the i7 in another computer, the WHEA erros start again...
              So, there is no way to fix this CPU, right?
              Probably I did wrong voltages when I installed the new motherboard?
              Thank you very much for the help!

Comment

I've seen problem threads when a Sandy bridge cpu is installed in a z77 motherboard or an Ivy Bridge cpu is installed in an older z68 board.
                This applies to the Gigabyte and ASRock forums.
                What was the motherboard brand/model of the other system?
                There was one forum thread where the OP used an MSI Z77A-GD65 + i5 2500K that turned out OK.
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

I've seen problem threads when a Sandy bridge cpu is installed in a z77 motherboard or an Ivy Bridge cpu is installed in an older z68 board.
                  This applies to the Gigabyte and ASRock forums.
                  What was the motherboard brand/model of the other system?
                  There was one forum thread where the OP used an MSI Z77A-GD65 + i5 2500K that turned out OK.
                  I did test the i7 on Asus P8Z67-M, where normally I use with no problems the i5 2500k.
                  Probably will have no fix for the i7, right?

Comment

Have you tried temporarily installing win7 to see if you have any WHEA errors with your i7-2600K?
                    I don't know if a faulty cpu can cause WHEA errors.
                    parsec can probably help you with any needed bios changes.
                    Another option is to send a private message (PM) to ASRock TSD - Emily where you include a link to this thread and ask for her help.

Comment

Have you tried temporarily installing win7 to see if you have any WHEA errors with your i7-2600K?
                      I don't know if a faulty cpu can cause WHEA errors.
                      parsec can probably help you with any needed bios changes.
                      Another option is to send a private message (PM) to ASRock TSD - Emily where you include a link to this thread and ask for her help.
                      I did not... I tried that stresslinux you said. I was getting this: mcelog -- FAQ
                      "kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type", then I tried to install the i5 2500k and the error stopped... then put back on i7 and the error came back.

Comment

It looks like it's a Linux bug.
                        Which program were you trying to run? Prime95?
                        You might be able to successfully test with a different Linux CD download.
                        See if you can find a more recent Linux Live CD download that includes stress testing programs.
                        I think that your WHEA bsod 0x124 is voltage related with your 2600K cpu, but I'm not familiar with tweaking ASRock motherboards. Hopefully parsec or Emily can give you some suggestions.

Comment

IF a CPU is damaged from high voltages, there is no fix for that. But usually the CPU is either just dead completely, or Ok. If your board allowed disabling thermal throttling (WHY do they do that?!) and you did that, and the CPU obeyed, then who knows.

The issues with the mix of SB and IB CPUs on SB and IB boards, usually goes like this:

SB CPU on a IB board, should be Ok, my i7-2600K works fine on a Z77 board, even using the latest BIOS, which is really tuned for IB CPUs.

IB CPU on a SB board with (very important) the BIOS for a IB CPU, seems to be Ok, I've never done this.

SB CPU on a SB board, BUT with the BIOS for IB CPU compatibility, a bad mix, problems are common. This is an example of the "new, wonderful BIOS" not being so, it was not meant for SB CPUs, but no warnings are provided, I assume since the BIOS transition to support IB CPUs on a SB board signals the end of updates for SB CPU and board pairs. Two "lines" of BIOS updates really should exist, but no one does that.

If you can try your SB CPU and board (6 series chipset) pair, hopefully without the IB compatible BIOS, use it with all default CPU settings. NO manual voltage settings, all on AUTO. Enable SpeedStep for power saving, and easy running of the CPU. Leave it on the stock multiplier, give it a break. See how it goes like that, for days, and I doubt you will see much if any difference in performance. Install the drivers and IME, use it as it is meant to be used. If you have the IB compatible BIOS, just be more careful, and check for driver updates on the download page.

You're in diagnostic mode with that CPU, take it easy and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by cybersrs View Post
                            I did not... I tried that stresslinux you said. I was getting this: mcelog -- FAQ
                            "kernel hardware error no human readable mce decoding support on this cpu type", then I tried to install the i5 2500k and the error stopped... then put back on i7 and the error came back.
                            Stresslinux uses an old 2.6 kernel, that error message is not an issue with current 3.6 kernels.
                            The message was a notification that a unknown hardware error occurred and was corrected by the system. It's probably actually a *good* thing! With newer kernels you will happily go about your day with the OS correcting the hardware errors without letting you even know there were any.

But the important thing to remember here is that there *WERE* hardware errors.
                            Unfortunately the software and kernel are too old to decipher the newer hardware errors.

Barring a compatibility issue with the motherboard and all other things being equal, if the 2500k worked where the 2600k didn't.. maybe the cpu is bad.

Just for kicks and giggles, try removing the xmp profile for that ram in the BIOS, and make sure the timings are very loose. Try firing up windows or the stresslinux and see if the errors go away.

Also, I believe that stresslinux disk has a memtest86+ partition on it, give it a good long whirl and see if memory errors come up there.(at least 2 full "pass" iterations should be a good test) My system takes about 1 hour or so to run through 2 passes

Syn

Comment

+1^^
                              If MemTest86+ completes several full passes with no errors, follow up with running test #5 for at least 10 - 15 loops by typing C 1 3 5 [enter key] 0 (zero)
                              Any errors while running MemTest86+ means that there is a problem and that the error might be caused by one or more incorrect bios settings. Passing these tests does NOT mean that your bios settings are correct, it means that your bios settings are "close enough" not to cause errors and that no memory hardware errors were detected.
                              These tests are excellent preliminary tests, not the final word.

If needed, the most recent 4.20 free version can be downloaded from Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool where you can download a version to make a bootable floppy, usb or optical disk where you will boot directly using the bootable media.

If there are no errors with both of these tests, I would re-run the full test overnight for at least 6 - 10 hours, if possible.

The attached picture shows that over 1000 errors occurred but we don't know how soon the first error appeared.
                              After the test starts, press the SPACE BAR (for Scroll Lock) and this will stop the messages from scrolling after more than 10 errors have occurred.

Comment

Working...
                              X