Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with CPU overclocking on z77 OC formula

OK, so i'm stuck here.
    I know Linux is not supported, but I believe it's a BIOS issue.
    It seems that the BIOS is reporting that the maximum multiplier is 45x
    From the BIOS "main" screen I see it shows i3700k @ 3500MHz, maximum 4500 MHz.
    No matter what I seem to select in the OC screen, I ALWAYS get at maximum 3500 (max3600) turbo 4500 Mhz in Linux.

Searching around the net I have seen others with boards from dif manufacturers that report the proper Max multiplier of 63x.

This is what I see from i7z:(linux utility to report cpu frequencies)

Socket [0] - [physical cores=4, logical cores=8, max online cores ever=4]
    TURBO ENABLED on 4 Cores, Hyper Threading ON
    Max Frequency without considering Turbo 3600.00 MHz (100.00 x [36])
    Max TURBO Multiplier (if Enabled) with 1/2/3/4 Cores is 45x/45x/45x/45x
    Real Current Frequency 4499.98 MHz [100.00 x 45.00] (Max of below)

Currently with 4500Mhz, I'm only reaching max 60c at full load. I'm pretty sure I can get at least 4700 maybe 4800 out of it safely.
    But obviously I can't get it to go any further.

Is the 1.4 BIOS reporting only 45x max? Is there anyway to up that?

Thanks so much for any insight into this issue. I've been bashing my head on this for days, and by all accounts others are able to do this fine within a Linux OS.

Thanks
    Syn

Re: Help with CPU overclocking on z77 OC formula

So you're saying if you enter a value for the multiplier of 47 or 48, it will change to 45? Do you have one of the predefined OC profiles loaded, or the auto OC feature enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      So you're saying if you enter a value for the multiplier of 47 or 48, it will change to 45? Do you have one of the predefined OC profiles loaded, or the auto OC feature enabled?
      On the "OC" page of the BIOS it says a "target": to whatever I set. The "main" page continues to say "max 4500Mhz".

In Linux it says 45x 100, even though I've set say, 47x in the BIOS.

Linux gets it's info from probing the hardware. Since I know the i3770k CPU reports as 63x as the "max" multiplier (not that i'd ever try that high lol) the only thing left is the BIOS...

So I'm wondering if there is a way to trick either Linux or fix what the BIOS reports? Is there a magic option I missed that gets me past 4500? or is it set to 4500 max as a BIOS failsafe?

Yes, i've used "Nick's" predefined profiles, as well as my own. I've reloaded defaults so many times I couldn't guess. Tried, i'm sure every option in the OC page, as well as the cpu configurations. Nothing I try will stick >4500Mhz.

4.5Ghz was easy lol select Nick's profile for 4500, and set linux to "performance" to be always in "turbo" mode... and tada...
      It's getting past 4.5 that's been driving me nuts.

Last thing to try is maybe load up windows.. (yuck) to see if it's a hardware problem. But I would Prefer to have this working in linux.

Maybe someone from ASRock can tell me how they implement the OC in windows, Like what commands are sent to ACPI, msr, the BIOS or whatnot. Maybe I can come up with a patch/fix for Linux. :)

The 4500 itself is not hard coded at least, just the 45x it seems. if i change the bclk to 101Mhz, the "clock speed" will change to 4545Mhz on the main BIOS page as well as Linux, and 4747 as the OC "target" (when I try for 47x that is)

Anyway off to playing with MSRs.. I'm determined to fix this issue. lol

Syn

Comment

OK, a little bit further... Looks like MSR 0x1ad is set to 0x2d2d2d2d
        Which for my processor is 45x 45x 45x 45x for cores 1-4 even though my bios is currently set to 47x

I am able to re-set it to 0x2f2f2f2f2f (47,47,47,47) and set MSR 0x199 to 0x00002f00 (2f=47)

i7z now reports the max turbo multiplier as 47, and the target (msr 0x199) as 47, however the multiplier is still running at 45x (and confirmed with MSR 0x198 = 0x2d00)
        I haven't figured out yet how to tell the processor to use the new multiplier.

Anyone here know? And this pretty much confirms to me that the asrock oc formula BIOS is reporting 45x to the OS.
        Hopefully some smart ASRock tech can get me over this little hump?

Syn

Comment

Wow, that BIOS OC setup is weird, I suppose they think that's a feature with this board. Every SB or IB CPU board I've used allows direct entry of the multiplier, either by All Cores, or Per Core. If this BIOS is different, who knows, not me...

Comment

Oh dont get me wrong... You CAN setup the multiplier individually per core or all cores or whatever. you can tweak more than I will over need to, or feel comfortable doing, on this board. frankly I don't even know what half the stuff is for lol... I use the OC profiles for ease of use lol... I select profile 8 which goes and configures the all settings that "Nick Shih" would set it too for 4700MHz (not that HE would personally use those). It makes for a good starting point anyway.

My issue isn't telling the BIOS what I want. My issue is the BIOS NOT telling my CPU/OS what the settings should be. I assume there is some magical windows driver that probes the BIOS and sets everything up while windows is booting. But I can say for sure that the initial boot is not running OC.
            It does seem to be setting some values. If I run a 4500Mhz profile the core temps are much cooler than say a 4900Mhz profile at idle. Even though it does not actually run faster. My guess is higher voltage applied to the CPU.

RAM settings take just fine, BCLK works as well. The only thing giving me grief so far is the CPU multiplier. I can't confirm voltages, as I dont know which MSR's they are for Ivy Bridge. And even if I did, it seems to be "interesting" trying to interpret them. (they seem to pack a Floating point number like 1.35 into an integer by applying some math, something like 1/V*2^16)

ASROCK?!? Anything?

So I'm looking for some way to replicate the windows behavior, or have the BIOS set things right in the first place.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I solved my own issue!

Turns out there WAS a problem with the BIOS, however not what I expected.
              I discovered just now tweaking my memory settings that they wouldn't stick like they use to... I was thinking.. WTF?!?!?!
              the z77 oc formula comes with a VERY HANDY clear cmos on the back of the board. I just tried it out.
              Clearing the cmos fixed by memory timing issue AND my multiplier issue!!!

FYI: Apparently Loading default settings is not good enough...

Syn

Comment

Clearing the CMOS is S.O.P. when things get too upgemucked.
                That's one reason why it's good to have a saved working bios profile (or three), so that you can quickly get back to a stable or test version after the cmos is cleared.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

LOL yea. usually when things are mucked up bad. But honestly, beside changing the multiplier everything was working just fine. It wasn't until I started changing other things again that I noticed something just wasn't right... ( I try to keep to changing one thing at a time lol)
                  I did save a profile, however I didn't use it. it took all of 20 seconds for me to manually restore all the settings I had before. I LOVE this mobo lol

Now I'm running my i3770k (3500Mhz) at 4700 Mhz (bclk 100, 47x, 1.35V) and it's super stable.

Did some quick load testing and the CPU reports:
                  32-39C at Idle
                  68-73C at full load (thats about 5C warmer than 4500MHz)
                  My cpu waterblock didn't flinch a single degree (sitting at a comfortable 30c)

I'm a happy man... I wonder if I can get to 4800 stable :D

Syn

Comment

You won't know until your try.
                    BTW, it never ends....hey maybe 4.90GHz is doable.....boy oh boy, I'm real close to 5.0GHz......
                    ooh, ooh, ooh!!! I wonder how high I can o/c using LN2

OH POOP....did my motherboard just melt???
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

HAHA.. noooo.... I hit 5Ghz no problems, but was flaky as hell. ( I did manage to boot to a linux GUI) 4.8 wasn't stable enough for me. To get it more or less stable, I was looking at internal cpu temps of 90+C at full load... way out of my comfort zone.
                      so I'm back to 4.7GHz. I tightened up the timings on my memory for a little extra speed.

I'm already from power on to GUI login at about 10 seconds. (6 if I take out the drive mappings to my windows home server). then another 10 to pull up the full desktop and all the whatnots I have on startup. And a full Linux kernel Build from "mrproper" state takes a mere 80 seconds. :O

next maybe is a raid 0 on these 2 SSD's :D
                      Bu hahahah

Syn

Comment

HAHA.. noooo.... I hit 5Ghz no problems, but was flaky as hell.
                        _Why were you flaky as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                          _Why were you flaky as hell?
                          Well... it was, like 3am I get a little flaky with no sleep lol

haha.. yea sorry, It hit 5Ghz no problems, but was flaky as hell.

hmmm, just reading about my CPU heat. It seems kinda high, even at stock freq and voltage... I guess ivy bridge processors have crappy TIM under the heat spreader?
                          I may just have to remedy that. :D

lol
                          Syn
                          Last edited by synack; 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM. Reason: cant speel

Comment

OHH, you better watch out with the voltages for Ivy Bridge CPUs! They aren't Sandy Bridge where you can keep on increasing the multiplier until it just BSODs. Plus you saw the temp at 5GHz, 90C with a water block (!!) on the CPU is out of everyone's comfort zone. I've seen reviews that say IB at 1.3V is all that is safe. I've gone above that a bit for a while, but just not worth it.

As you now see, IB is not quite the OC beast that SB CPUs are. If the big "5.0" is important to you, you'll just have to bite the bullet and live with "only" 4.7GHz. Even that is considered over the top with IB CPUs by many people. That's a good board too, since it did not BSOD at 5GHz, but was just flaky... LOL!

I'd love to play with all those registers, I've never done Linux since I worked with UNIX at work, I had to have something different at home.

RAID 0 of SSDs? If I told you how many of those I have with OS's on them, you would not believe me. Actually, I need more OS's, sick of buying Windows licenses. A free one would be unreal... The potential drawback of RAID 0 is you can lose your 4K read speed, it does not scale at all like sequential read, and actually goes down, due to the stripe size. Then you reduce the stripe and your sequential goes down, which really doesn't matter much to most users (from 1000 to 750MBs). It's fun to try it if you use stable SSDs, I've never had any problems using Intel, Samsung, Crucial, and now even OCZ Vertex 4's.

If I may ask, what would you suggest as a good place to get started in Linux? As in info, etc?

Oh, and as Prof. Jim says, clearing the BIOS/CMOS is your best friend. If I add any hardware, I clear it. Move SATA port connections, essential to clear. That's one of the main reasons why laptops are such a pain with new hardware, ya can't clear the BIOS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              OHH, you better watch out with the voltages for Ivy Bridge CPUs! They aren't Sandy Bridge where you can keep on increasing the multiplier until it just BSODs. Plus you saw the temp at 5GHz, 90C with a water block (!!) on the CPU is out of everyone's comfort zone. I've seen reviews that say IB at 1.3V is all that is safe. I've gone above that a bit for a while, but just not worth it.

As you now see, IB is not quite the OC beast that SB CPUs are. If the big "5.0" is important to you, you'll just have to bite the bullet and live with "only" 4.7GHz. Even that is considered over the top with IB CPUs by many people. That's a good board too, since it did not BSOD at 5GHz, but was just flaky... LOL!

I'd love to play with all those registers, I've never done Linux since I worked with UNIX at work, I had to have something different at home.

RAID 0 of SSDs? If I told you how many of those I have with OS's on them, you would not believe me. Actually, I need more OS's, sick of buying Windows licenses. A free one would be unreal... The potential drawback of RAID 0 is you can lose your 4K read speed, it does not scale at all like sequential read, and actually goes down, due to the stripe size. Then you reduce the stripe and your sequential goes down, which really doesn't matter much to most users (from 1000 to 750MBs). It's fun to try it if you use stable SSDs, I've never had any problems using Intel, Samsung, Crucial, and now even OCZ Vertex 4's.

If I may ask, what would you suggest as a good place to get started in Linux? As in info, etc?

Oh, and as Prof. Jim says, clearing the BIOS/CMOS is your best friend. If I add any hardware, I clear it. Move SATA port connections, essential to clear. That's one of the main reasons why laptops are such a pain with new hardware, ya can't clear the BIOS!!!
                              Yep, I concur. I found any voltage up past 1.35v gave me flaky results. The thermal limit before throttling is 105c, so I do have a little head room there from 90c. Any temp close to boiling water freaks me out a little. haha.
                              It seems on IB Intel chose to put substandard TIM between the die and heat spreader. Where on SB it's soldered! There are a few tutorials online that show how to fix this little problem. lol. Like daredevil, I'm a man without fear and will attempt it this weekend. They say a 10c drop at idle and 20+c drop at full load.
                              5.0 isn't important at all lol. I just want whatever I can get out of this chip that's going to keep it relatively cool and stable.

I've heard of a bunch of issues using hardware raid 0, but I'm a tweaker, and won't be happy until I give it a go haha. I might even try a software raid 0 on Linux LVM.

Hmm a good place to get started in Linux is to download a "Live CD/DVD" and boot it up. Play around with it and see if you like it. Ubuntu and it's derivatives are easy and windows like. The software package WINE will be your new best friend in getting windows apps working under linux.
                              There are so many distros it would be hard to list them all. This is a link to one persons take on the top 5

Best Linux distro 2012: five we recommend | News | TechRadar

I would like to add two more to that list to make it a top 7 lol
                              PuppyLinux: Small, so small in fact it can live completely in RAM (filesystem and all) so it's ridiculously fast. (they say ~100mb)
                              Gentoo: My fav, but NOT for beginners. Gentoo is a (more or less) completely compiled distribution. it's portage tree (application tree) is second to none in linux and is based of off the BSD portage tree. Gentoo takes some work getting running and stable at first, but once you got it.. oh my... all software compiled directly for your hardware is awesome.

There is a Linux forum here as well. I check from time to time, there isn't much activity. We should probably move the Linux discussions there lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X