Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

Finished my new build about a 10 days ago and I installed the Intel INF (chipset) driver V. 9.3.0.1019 which was the latest one listed on the ASRock website. Everything is working fine with the system.

On the ASRock website for this motherboard there is a new version of the INF driver, V. 9.30.0.1025, which was dated 11/01/12. Does anyone have any information on what this new version is for and what issues it might address? The old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" always come to mind when I'm looking at driver updates.

Looking for recommendations on whether to install this chipset driver update or not and as always TIA.
    Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Re: Z77 Pro4-M - new INF driver update?

Really HCR, not again... Ok you know I'm joking!

Already been there, with '1025, and guess, what, it won't install at all! Or at least with Windows 7. Someone posted a thread about it a few days ago, and said it would not install in Windows 7. I tried it with the same result, it will not install. So at least no harm done trying to install it, but it is a mistake to include it, if it will not install with a fresh Windows 7 installation. That is actually not a good thing...

If you check, now that Windows 8 drivers are listed for our boards, that 9.3.0.1025 is the INF installer for Windows 8. ASR must have just put them in the Windows 7 list too, but didn't try them with '7? All that I can figure.

But HCR, didn't you notice that there is a new version of IME listed as well? I know that's your favorite... Or maybe you're doing what I did, completely ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Really HCR, not again... Ok you know I'm joking!

Already been there, with '1025, and guess, what, it won't install at all! Or at least with Windows 7. Someone posted a thread about it a few days ago, and said it would not install in Windows 7. I tried it with the same result, it will not install. So at least no harm done trying to install it, but it is a mistake to include it, if it will not install with a fresh Windows 7 installation. That is actually not a good thing...

If you check, now that Windows 8 drivers are listed for our boards, that 9.3.0.1025 is the INF installer for Windows 8. ASR must have just put them in the Windows 7 list too, but didn't try them with '7? All that I can figure.

But HCR, didn't you notice that there is a new version of IME listed as well? I know that's your favorite... Or maybe you're doing what I did, completely ignore it.
      Yo, parsec. You're not rid of me yet! Thanks for that info. I have downloaded it, along with the Realtek HD Audio (which I did install) and the VGA update (not installed). I think that I'll just leave things as they are. I did see the IME update and like you, just ignored it. The update has also re-appeared in Windows Update (optional) again and will just sit there until I see any valid reason to install it.
      Silverstone TJ08B-E micro ATX case | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX MB | Intel i5 3570K CPU | Samsung 830 256GB SATA 3 SSD | WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 3 HDD | EVGA GTX 650 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 SDRAM | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Comment

Oh, I'm not worried about you being around at all. What is important is that you are confident enough to use you own discretion about these updates. But always pay attention to the chatter about them, occasionally they are important to have.

The only update of any kind I've ever seen that was really good to have was for the Crucial m4 SSD. That was their 0009 firmware update. It made the m4 into a new drive, truly faster in all aspects. It was the kind of update that enthusiasts hope and dream for, but very, very rarely happen. I'm sure some users can point out other significant updates, but I think they'll agree they are not at all common.

There have been a few major bug fix updates for some products, but I've never seen a BIOS update that changed a board's performance so much for the better. Same thing with most drivers, except for bug fixes, which are important, I've never seen big performance changes.

Actually, the firmware updates for the m4 tell an important story, IMO. The 0009 update was a gift. Then they found a weird bug that was fixed in firmware 0309, which was needed for all m4s. From there, things got worse IMO. The 000F update was buggy for some users, and really only meant for users with very specific hardware (SAS cards.) Owners still applied it hoping for more 0009, but that did not happen. Now they have 010G, an update for Windows 8, and owners are having issues with disappearing SSDs after applying it. Me, I have 0309 on my m4s, and have no urge or need to change.

Therein lies the problem, people think that new is always better, but it isn't. We can see that with the Sandy Bridge CPU mother boards, with the Intel 6 series chipsets, that can be used with Ivy Bridge CPUs, with a BIOS/UEFI update. If you apply that update, and you still use a SB CPU, you have problems, as we have seen posts about in this forum.

My advice, wait a while when new... whatever is released, and see how it goes for others. Hmm, reminds me of something, now what was that...

Comment

Good advice, as usual. Now, as to what you were thinking about....I bet it's initials begin with IME FW Recovery Agent.

On anothr topic, how's the xfastRAM thingie working for you? I'm going to install it tomorrow and set it up pretty much the way you did, 4 GB with 2 GB being used for pagefile. Anything to look out for?

Comment

Actually, I have the XFast RAM drive running on two PCs, both the same way, 4GB in size, for the pagefile and temporary files.

I haven't had the slightest glitch with them, they just work. I shutdown and Sleep the PCs, pull the plug and work on them, remove and add "real" drives, clear the BIOS/UEFI, plug them back in and fire them up, and the RAM drive is there, with the pagefile on it. I must say that I have never backed them up, as I have no need for that with my usage, so I can't say how good that works. Otherwise, they work perfectly for me, set and forget.

If you changed or removed some of your memory, I don't know what the reaction would be, but I would not expect this program to cover every possibility. It might just not create it if it can't for some reason.

I did seem to have a problem with FireFox when I used the RAM Disk for its cache, FireFox would crash. When I took the FF cache off the RAM Disk, no more crashes. When FF crashes, you get a dialog box telling you it crashed, and to restart or close it. No other disasters, except you lose your sessions, if that bothers you. The restart brings them all back, but you might lose what you entered on a screen, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Actually, I have the XFast RAM drive running on two PCs, both the same way, 4GB in size, for the pagefile and temporary files.

I haven't had the slightest glitch with them, they just work. I shutdown and Sleep the PCs, pull the plug and work on them, remove and add "real" drives, clear the BIOS/UEFI, plug them back in and fire them up, and the RAM drive is there, with the pagefile on it. I must say that I have never backed them up, as I have no need for that with my usage, so I can't say how good that works. Otherwise, they work perfectly for me, set and forget.

If you changed or removed some of your memory, I don't know what the reaction would be, but I would not expect this program to cover every possibility. It might just not create it if it can't for some reason.

I did seem to have a problem with FireFox when I used the RAM Disk for its cache, FireFox would crash. When I took the FF cache off the RAM Disk, no more crashes. When FF crashes, you get a dialog box telling you it crashed, and to restart or close it. No other disasters, except you lose your sessions, if that bothers you. The restart brings them all back, but you might lose what you entered on a screen, etc.
              Hope this isn't straying too far off the original posted topic, if so I apologize. I've set up the xFastRAM drive @ 3 GB, added pagefile, system and user temp files, IE and FF cache. Here's what the drive looks like. The utility does automatically use 1/2 the of the drive size for page file. No way (that I can see) of changing that. I had tried to change it using Advanced System Properties>Performance>Virtual Memory but it just defaults back to 1/2 the size. No big deal I guess.

Did notice that the RAM drive use does seem to have some oddities. For instance trying to insert an image here and using the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option produces the following error message. Have to de-select that option for it to work.

Last edited by highcountryrider; 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM. Reason: added graphic

Comment

Using the custom size option, you enter the sizes that you want and then click Set when you're done and and then click OK.
                You will need to reboot for the new pagefile settings to take effect.
                In my excruciatingly detailed tutorial, I said to always uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option for each picture that you want to include.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                  Using the custom size option, you enter the sizes that you want and then click Set when you're done and and then click OK.
                  You will need to reboot for the new pagefile settings to take effect.
                  In my excruciatingly detailed tutorial, I said to always uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option for each picture that you want to include.
                  Actually profJim I did do that. I set in 512 MB as the minimum and 1024 MB as the maximum, clicked on Set, OK and rebooted. The settings had defaulted back to exactly 1/2 of the RAM drive's size. Probably has something to do with how xFastRAM sets up the RAM drive?

Sorry that I didn't read your excruciatingly detailed tutorial. Will make a point to do so. I still think it might possibly have something to do with the xFastRAM utility having moved the temp files to the RAM drive.

Comment

Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?! Why on earth would you ever want to do that? If you have the RAM you don't need to swap... if you don't have the RAM, no RAM to swap to...
                    Unless the RAM drive pre-allocates the memory, even if it's not being used. but in that case, swapping out RAM to RAM would produce page faults and would REDUCE overall system performance.

Syn

Comment

I was being sarcastic with the "excruciatingly detailed tutorial" comment.
                      It sounds like xFastRAM's settings might not be adjustable in order to make it simple to use and idiot proof.
                      There might be a back door approach if there is a file with an INI extension in the same folder as the xFastRAM folder.
                      Parsec can check his windows registry to see if there are any preset xFastRAM entries that deal with the default 50% swapfile size.

Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?!
                      The swapfile is virtual memory that exists on your ssd or hdd.
                      By moving the swapfile to a ram disk, reads and writes to the swapfile are much faster.
                      Do a simple test, set your swapfile's location to the slowest usb 2.0 flash drive that you have and for good measure, change the window's TEMP and TMP environment variables to the flash drive too. Better yet, use a rewritable CD instead of the flash drive.
                      How slow can you go?
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
                        Honestly that makes absolutely no sense to me. Swap RAM to RAM?!?! Why on earth would you ever want to do that? If you have the RAM you don't need to swap... if you don't have the RAM, no RAM to swap to...
                        Unless the RAM drive pre-allocates the memory, even if it's not being used. but in that case, swapping out RAM to RAM would produce page faults and would REDUCE overall system performance.

Syn
                        My apologies Syn but not sure exactly what you mean. I am new to this idea of a RAM drive and as I understand it I will be using the unused RAM on my system (usually at least 3 GB) to store the pagefile, browser cache and temp files for system and user. Are you saying that is not a good thing to do, especially if I'm using a SSD as my primary drive? Appreciate any clarification.

Comment

A web search using ram disk will provide links that explain the advantages of using a ram disk and how it works.
                          An excellent starting point is RAM drive - Wikipedia
                          Keep in mind that you still need a "reasonable" amount of ram for your system to operate optimally.
                          You wouldn't want to use a 6GB ram disk when you have 8GB of physical ram installed.
                          Happy reading.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            I was being sarcastic with the "excruciatingly detailed tutorial" comment.
                            It sounds like xFastRAM's settings might not be adjustable in order to make it simple to use and idiot proof.
                            There might be a back door approach if there is a file with an INI extension in the same folder as the xFastRAM folder.
                            Parsec can check his windows registry to see if there are any preset xFastRAM entries that deal with the default 50% swapfile size.
                            I have checked the AXTU installation folder and there isn't any INI file at all. BTW profJim, I resemble that remark about simple to use and idiot proof.
                            Last edited by highcountryrider; 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I resemble that remark about simple to use and idiot proof.
                              Ignorance is not a sin.....stupidity is!!
                              "A man's got to know his limitations."
                              You've been asking excellent questions in your threads.
                              Clearly you know your limitations and appreciate the wisdom of seeking help before your system gets upgemucked**

**Sorry for using yet another high tech term.

You've proven that you are NOT a member of any of the following clubs:
                              PEBKAC ("Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair")
                              PEBCAK ("Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard")
                              PICNIC ("Problem In Chair Not In Computer")
                              PIBCAK ("Problem Is Between Chair And Keyboard")
                              ID-10T error ("Idiot error")
                              User error - Wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                              X