advise on replacing CPU's in ASrock mother board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise on replacing CPU's in ASrock mother board

i need to replace the CPU's in my sisters computer ... ( one pin missing from cpu , board also might be fried ..but i want to try a new cpu first to see if i actually need a new board )

i have asked her to look for the manual for the as rock , motherboard so i can identify it .... but she can not find it

usually , a board has the code on the board to identify it ..... but i can not see it anyway please see picture of board

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA220050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	756107

it had a 6 core phenom 2 ...cpu in it ( into a AM3 socket ) ..... i want to down grade this to AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU

or
    AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core Processor (3.00 GHz, 2MB Cache, Socket AM3, 95W, 45nm

goes going by the board specs on the asrock site ...it does look lightly .....based on the spec of the board in the picture.....but because i don't know the board part number .... i have doubt

3 things really ... can anyone identify the board ?

and also .... as it has a 6 fore in it ( and supports 6 core ) ... if i put a quad core in to it .... will have to mess around with the bois ? it will the board just take the new cpu without any issues ?

also if it does turn out to a fried board , can some recommend a new board ........ 8g ddr3 ram ( 4g dual ) ...of course quad core cpu ... socket am3 .... rest of the stuff does not matter , just has to be cheap ( my sisters car , washing machine , and oven ...have all gone in the same week
    many thanks in advance

Re: advise on replacing CPU's in ASrock mother board

looks like an n68-gs3 to me... But the model number is on the other side of that card that we can't see.

Comment

Not sure what board it is, but if it is like most of the other N68 series boards, I bet you can find the model number if you remove the video card. The video card is hiding the model number, I believe.

Comment

thanks guys......

i had taken the graphics card out about three times ( to reset components ) ..... but missed it 'DOH.'.......................

it was a N68-S3 UCC

what about the bios ? it says it supports the new chip set as per ASrock site .....

can i just plug and play so to speak ?

or do i need to do any tweaking ?

Comment

The new BIOS and CPU likely will be plug and play, although the default BIOS settings may not be optimal. Or are you planning on changing to the new BIOS?

That board supports 95Watt CPUs, according to the specifications. The first CPU you listed is a 125Watt CPU, but the second one is a 95Watt CPU. If your sister just does simple things on that PC, I would not worry about a high performance CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            The new BIOS and CPU likely will be plug and play, although the default BIOS settings may not be optimal. Or are you planning on changing to the new BIOS?

That board supports 95Watt CPUs, according to the specifications. The first CPU you listed is a 125Watt CPU, but the second one is a 95Watt CPU. If your sister just does simple things on that PC, I would not worry about a high performance CPU.

thanks

parsec & synack

i have ordered the 95Watt CPU.... she just uses it for her work , may use some CAD on it at one stage ..... but apart from that it's all shopping , word,excel and power point ...main reason why i didn't bother replacing the 6 core....

many thanks

steven

Comment

Working...
            X