Problem with AS Rock Z77 EXTREME4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with AS Rock Z77 EXTREME4

I recently purchased the following motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4 from here. I've installed i7 3770 on the motherboard along with 8 gb corsair vengeance, and connected corsair tx650 power supply. All of the components are purchased new. Here is the problem: I don't get any video signal from the motherboard, I even installed GTX 560, but i get the same result - no video signal. All of the fans start including the heatsink one, but nothing else. Also the debug indicator on the motherboard that is supposed to generate error code, does not light up at all. The last resort i tried was to take everything out of the case and connect just the power supply to the motherboard along with the processor installed: same rezult - heatsink fan starts, but no response from the motherboard, neither the debug display shows any error code (It should've at least generate a code that states there is no ram installed).
    Any ideas?

Re: Problem with AS Rock Z77 EXTREME4

Your symptoms usually indicate a power supply problem, or a short circuit, which should not occur with the board set up outside the case.

Do you have the eight pin CPU power cable connected to the board from the PS? Be sure you are not using a PCIe cable, the six + two pin cable for video cards. Your PS has what is called a four + four pin CPU power cable, which must be used.

Can you test with another PS, or test the new PS on another PC?

Comment

hi,.i also think u didnt plug the 8 pin cable,please report back.

Comment

Yeah, that was the reason. Thanks a lot for the help! The machine is up and running now. I got several issues before i managed to boot though, including A2 and B7 errors from the motherboard. After a little bit of searching and ended up driving to walmart to buy cabled keyboard for $10. Before every start however the debug screen displays different codes, the last of which is always b7 and then it boots and the code disappears, is that normal for this motherboard? Anyway thanks again for the help, that's gonna teach me to check carefully every single cable. (btw this is my first desktop build)

Comment

Great, glad it is working for you. The manual is your friend, don't be afraid to read it, you'll save yourself time and much grief.

Your description of the debug LEDs is normal. All of the codes you see are different stages of the POST sequence, and if it completes normally, that display turns off. If you start the UEFI/BIOS, a code will be displayed while it is active, again normal.

The first time you start the board, before the OS and drivers (for keyboard too) are installed, you must use a wired keyboard, as you discovered. Your wireless keyboard should work now, as long as the driver was installed.

Comment

Working...
          X