No announcement yet.

Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme3 compatible with low voltage RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme3 compatible with low voltage RAM?

I was thinking about getting the ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AMD board for a build that I have been trying to put together for a while now and I was not able to see if the motherboard was compatible with the RAM that I have. I have G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series DDR3-1600 RAM at 1.25 volts. I just want to make sure the the motherboard won't dumb it down and decrease performance when I go to use it.
    I also have the AMD FX-8320 8 Core 3.5Ghz processor if it makes any difference.
    Thanks for the help.

Re: Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme3 compatible with low voltage RAM?

I can't speak directly to the Extreme3 but I will say most new "performance' MB's will go down to 1.20v. Any many will go lower yet.

As far as dumbing it down, it's 1600 so it shouldn't. Yet due to possible SPD programming it might. The BIOS might default to something other than what the sticks are designed/spec'd to run at but were you to enter the BIOS and manually set the proper specs(speed, timings, voltage), AND assuming there are no compatibility issues, after changing the parameters in the BIOS you'll be good to go.

If not, G.Skill has an excellent rep for Tech Support on their forums. That, and their forums are very active. You might want to peruse their forum and maybe even ask a Q or two there before taking the plunge.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Have you considered the 1.35v Samsung memory over at NewEgg?

It's certainly not the flashy macho "Hey! Look at me." type but it is low voltage and OC's great with great timings too. Besides the Reviews in the link above, there are pages and pages written on the 'net about this ram and its abilities. The price is hard to beat too.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I sure agree about this Samsung memory, crazy compared to any other memory I've used. So it works fine on AMD systems too, why am I not surprised. The only memory I've used with new boards and CPUs that you can just put it in and it works, no cross checking compatibility.

When they say 1.35V, they mean it. My ASR Z77 EX 4/i7-2600K PC has 16GB of this at 1866, 9 9 9 24 1T, 1.4V. I've ran 8GB at the same speed and timings, at 1.35V! I increased it to 1.4V for 16GB, and never tried to reduce it later, I should. I've had it set as high as 1.5V in the UEFI, which works but is not necessary. Forgot to mention, the DIMMs are not matched at all! A mixed set of two DIMMs in a package, with two single DIMM packages, all serial numbers completely different. Hilarious!

Same board with an i5-3570K and 16GB at 2000, 11 11 11 28, 1T at 1.35V. I could do better, but the 1.35V thing just makes me smile.

wardog, did you notice that CPU-Z shows in the SPD data that the voltage is 1.28V? That does not match other utilities I've used, ever try it below 1.35V?

drawingkid, low voltages used with memory is never an issue, high voltage, or more than the board/CPU can handle is the problem. Any board/CPU should be happy with low voltage memory.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          wardog, did you notice that CPU-Z shows in the SPD data that the voltage is 1.28V? That does not match other utilities I've used, ever try it below 1.35V?
          The first time I opened the shipping box with some of this in it I went "Rut ruh Shaggy" followed by "Houston, we have a problem."

30nm!

I've since built three boxes using this particular memory and agree wholeheartedly with parsec's review above. This stuff just works, plain and simple. Like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going ... and going.

It literally is a tweakers delight. Truly a hidden gem.

parsec, the boxes are now in their respective owners homes so I can't have a look at CPU-z. And that I spent far far more time tinkering with voltages and timings than spent actually assembling the boxes I honestly don't recall if I needed to change the vDIMM from SPD.

I'll be changing my sig if and when Samsung ever puts out an 8GB stick of this !!

Comment

No problem, I get it, thanks anyway. I also get your joke, which some of the younger members might wonder about... (Shaggy??)

I think I'm seeing other memory "manufactures" using the Samsung memory chips in their products, since they mentioned 30nm in their marketing info. I can only imagine what matched chips and DIMMs made with it will be capable of.

Comment

Working...
            X