ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

I have 3 systems with ASRock 970 extreme4 and FX-8350 processors.

2 systems have:
    Corsair Builder Series CX430 430W power supply
    Samsung 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MV-3V4G3D/US
    EVGA GEFORCE 550 TI

1 system has:
    coolermaster elite 460 460W power supply
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) 1866
    EVGA GEFORCE 550 TI

Using bios version 2.20
    Windows 8 X64
    with default bios settings
    processors with stock coolers from AMD

within 30 seconds prime95 (v27.9) fails on at least 2 cores. It isn't the same cores each time. All 3 systems suffer from this. (note version info added to post 2012-01-04)

I was able to get the systems stable by changing to manual overclock mode and increasing the core voltage to 1.36, 1.37 and 1.38 volts depending on which system I was running.

Temps all seem within reason.

Is there a known problem with these motherboards and the FX-8350? I noticed that some MSI motherboard users were having VERY similar problems.

I don't want to overclock I only want stable systems at default speeds.

Thanks for any help.

Update 2012-01-14:

Several users have indicated the same problems with the FX-8150 processor so this thread should be useful to owners of those as well.
    Last edited by pmarcus; 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM. Reason: update

Re: ASRock 970 Extreme4 FX-8350 Unstable with Stock Settings

Are these all newly assembled or have they been running fine and then develop this?

Guessing new but had better ask first.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ew........

Drop your core back down to stock(Auto). 1.3v+? Wow, got a furnace there at 1.3+.

If it's different cores failing I'd consider raising the memory voltage 0.05 at a time and retest in between.

The Samsung 1600(awesome mem BTW) the internal memory controller should handle w/o a bump to it's voltage. The 1866, I'd try upping the stick voltage before looking at upping the mem controller voltage.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by pmarcus View Post
        It isn't the same cores each time.
        Which IMO rules out a weak core, as a weak core will repeatedly fail. Never mind you have three procs behaving the same.

No. I'm guessing a bump on the mem voltage will do you up just fine. If bumping the mem volts doesn't get you there, you might, might, consider bumping voltage to the mem controller. But that's last resort and I don't think you'll need it here.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Are these all newly assembled or have they been running fine and then develop this?

Guessing new but had better ask first.

These are brand new systems.

I appreciate everyones suggestions of voltage changes and, as I mentioned I can get the systems stable by changing the voltages.

My main concern is that the systems won't run properly with stock voltages. This seems like a serious defect or incompatibility that shouldn't exist, especially given that these are 3 systems with varying related hardware (power supply and memory)

Also note that I am running the memory at the bios selected speeds (bios defaults to 1600 for the samsung at 1.585V even though it is rated for 1.5V). The bios defaults to 1333 for the G.Skill memory at 1.5V.

Comment

FYI, the Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US is rated at 1.35v. Not 1.5v.

On the system that has these Samsung sticks in it, drop the cpu core down to stock/Auto, manually choose 1600 for the memory speed, force the mem voltage to 1.35, and enter 11-11-11-24 in their respective positions in the bios leaving all other mem timing to Auto. Retest and respond back. That is if you care to follow.

Too much voltage on the Sammys, any sticks for that matter, can cause issues too. At 1.585v you've got enough v's pumped into 'em to go way over 2133. These sticks, the Samsungs, have pages and pages written on the 'net of their capabilities. I've used them here in 2-3 builds and I believe the user here goes by parsec uses these also. Great, heck, superb memory.

Comment

Oh.

Also, if you haven't yet tried, you may want to move the Samsung to mem slots A2 and B2 and retest. Mem will sometimes behave better in those two slots on this board.

Comment

FYI, the Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US is rated at 1.35v. Not 1.5v.

On the system that has these Samsung sticks in it, drop the cpu core down to stock/Auto, manually choose 1600 for the memory speed, force the mem voltage to 1.35, and enter 11-11-11-24 in their respective positions in the bios leaving all other mem timing to Auto. Retest and respond back. That is if you care to follow.

Too much voltage on the Sammys, any sticks for that matter, can cause issues too. At 1.585v you've got enough v's pumped into 'em to go way over 2133. These sticks, the Samsungs, have pages and pages written on the 'net of their capabilities. I've used them here in 2-3 builds and I believe the user here goes by parsec uses these also. Great, heck, superb memory.
                I'll give it a shot. I did try the sammy's at 1.35 as I knew that 1.585 wasn't the right voltage. The voltage change didn't help. I didn't however manually select timings so I will try that too.

I'll give all of your suggestions a shot on Friday.

Comment

Oh.

Also, if you haven't yet tried, you may want to move the Samsung to mem slots A2 and B2 and retest. Mem will sometimes behave better in those two slots on this board.
                  I am running in A2 B2 (I think, not near the systems today) I believe the manual even states to use those slots for higher speed memories.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by pmarcus View Post
                    I believe the manual even states to use those slots for higher speed memories.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
                    No problem. Yea, the manual states so but you might also want to test in A1 and B1 to rule out any "wierdness' happening there.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I too am having the same problem with my new FX 8350 rigs at stock settings. I just got 3 identical setups of the following:

AMD FX-8350 Vishera
                      Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G MicroATX
                      Pareema 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1333
                      Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W

BIOS version F4
                      Windows 7 x64

All of the setups fail Prime95 blend the same way, with any 2 cores dropping out before reaching stability at 50C. I tried changing the RAM slots. I tried upping the voltage slightly for the RAM. BIOS is up to date. Memtest86+ passed fine. I'm out of ideas beyond RMAing the motherboard and trying a different model. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by rainguyry View Post
                        I'm out of ideas beyond RMAing the motherboard and trying a different model. Thoughts?
                        rainguyry,

Not to come off sounding rude but would you kindly start your own thread so as not to complicate reading through this one.

And please, before you do, would you go HERE and scroll down to fill in your "System Specs".

Thanks,
                        wardog

Comment

pmarcus,

On the box with the MV-3V4G3D/US that you'll/we'll be testing today, do you have a graphics card that you can swap in that does not require an aux 6 or 8 pin to power?

If you do, with this card installed, please clear the cmos, reboot, reenter bios choose bios Defaults, reboot, reenter bios to make necessary changes(mem speed and timing, voltages, AHCI, Boot order, Time, etc etc), reboot and now into Windows to test.

Comment

Okay,

Some initial tests based upon suggestions.

This is for the system with the samsung memory and 430W power supply.

CMOS settings initially cleared and reset to default.
                            These are the ONLY setting changed in the bios:

Memory timing manual 1600
                            timings set to 11-11-11-28 per manf spec and consistent with values read from EEPROM by motherboard
                            cpu values set to default
                            memory voltage manually set to 1.35V
                            Core 3 failed after 5 min processor temp at 63C
                            Core 5 failed after 7 min
                            Core 7 failed after 8 min

memory voltage set to 1.40V
                            Core 4 failed after 40 minutes processor temp at 62C

memory set to 1.45V
                            core 1 and 2 failed after 5 minutes

set CPU to 1.3625 memory still at 1.45V
                            stable overnight processor at 68C

I know this didn't cover every suggestion but I tried to blend in several of them in the time I had last night.

Comment

I can try another video card without the 12V power input if I snag one from the office in a few days. I don't feel that this is a power related issue though

I have run video stress tests (furmark) and have not had any glitch or failure. With the processor at 1.365 volts (in this system) I can run prime95 and furmark without issue which should be quite power hungry compared to just prime95 at stock voltage. I'd like to rerun this though as I don't have it in my notes (just to be sure). Again if you (wardog) feel strongly about it I can get one out of a system at the office.

I'm running a prime95 test now with 1.3675 core voltage and samsung memory set to the spec value of 1.35V.

Thanks for the help and attention wardog.

Comment

Working...
                              X