Air Cooling Options for i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cooling Options for i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E

I'm trying to find a good cooler that doesn't take up a ton of space on my motherboard which is a Gigabyte X79 UP4. The current cooler covers up several of my DIMMS forcing me to install my RAM in a different order than suggested by my boards manual. I had to install some low profile memory from G-Skill that I have kept just for testing purposes. I'd like to use a 32 BG DDR 3 1866 Kit from Patriot but the heat spreader is a pinch to tall. The other problem is the current cooler the Silverstone HEO1 is wide enough I had to put my video card a HIS IceQ X2 Radeon 7970 in the second PCIE x16 slot. It seems to be working fine but it limits me from going to a Crossfire configuration with the x16 slots.

I was looking at the XIGMATEK Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition even though it seems to be a fairly tall cooler it should fit in my case, a NZXT SWITCH 810 full tower. Any suggestions other than going to water cooling would be welcomed. I need to make this system last for a couple of years and the board does give me some wiggle room to do that.

Re: Air Cooling Options for i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E

The zalman 10x which comes in a couple of varieties,I find very effective,I have mine in an e-w config .
    Due to the method of fan attachment you can vary the fan(s) height if you need extra clearance.
    It also comes(came) with one of the top ramked thermal paste in tests.(Im too lazy to go checking the box for the name on the tube ;) )
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
    X