• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme6 RAID Configuration

OK - here is my ultimate goal:
    1) boot from an SSD on SATA3 - on Intel Z77 chipset
    2) have 4 x 2TB HDD as RAID 5 on SATA2 - on Intel Z77 Chipset
    3) BluRay Writer - on ASMedia SATA3
    4) Backup eSATA - on ASMedia SATA3 (I already have Thermaltake BlacXDuo)

I know the system can support RAID 5 on the Intel chip set, and I have read the RAID can span across SATA3 and SATA2 connector. However, I only want the RAID to be on SATA2 and SATA3 to not be included. Is this possible?

Another way to explain:

SATA3_0 - 256GB SDD
    SATA3_1 - empty
    SATA2_2 - 2TB drives in RAID 5
    SATA2_3 - 2TB drives in RAID 5
    SATA2_4 - 2TB drives in RAID 5
    SATA2_5 - 2TB drives in RAID 5
    SATA3_A1 - BluRay
    SATA3_A2 - eSATA for backup

Re: Z77 Extreme6 RAID Configuration

You should have no problem with that at all, at least on the Intel chipset.

Actually, using a standard HDD on a SATA III port, even if it a so called "SATA 6Gb/s" HDD, is a waste of the SATA III port. Not one HDD can even use the full potential of a SATA II port, so no point in using a SATA III port for a HDD. Doing things as you described may even be isolating the SSD from the RAID 5 volume, since I think the SATA III ports are provided by a separate portion of the Z77 chipset. Regardless, do it as you described.

About the ASMedia chipset, some of the third party chips like the Marvell, do not work with ATAPI devices like a DVD drive. The ASMedia may not be in that category, so just try. I have a feeling that the problem actually is the lack of a driver for the secondary chipsets when an OS installation is being done.

If you are installing an OS on that system, via a disk, I would put the BluRay drive on an Intel SATA II port, and only have the SSD connected, no other drives. After the OS is installed, then move the BluRay to the ASMedia ports, and create your RAID 5 volume.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I will give it a shot.

I actually have the BluRay already connected to the ASMedia SATA3 and it boots just fine from there. I started Win 7 SP1 installation but was never able to finish because g Skill Sniper memory was bad (1 of 2 sticks did not work). Waiting for G Skill to get back with me else I am going to get Corsair memory.

My concern is the configuration on the SATA2, but I hope you are right. I didn't see much in the way of RAID config yet in the BIOS, but I also don't have all the drives connected yet.

Comment

There is no RAID configuration in the BIOS besides setting the SATA mode to RAID.

Once you set the SATA mode to RAID and restart, during POST, before you can get into the BIOS, the Intel RAID Option ROM will be displayed. You must press the Ctrl and i key when it displays to keep it on the screen. Do that quickly as you can miss it. That is where you can configure your RAID volumes.

Also, once Windows is installed, and you install the full Intel IRST driver, you can run the IRST UI. That is used to check, create, and configure RAID volumes. You can use either of the interfaces to configure your RAID 5 volume. Just be very sure you have the SATA mode set to RAID before you install the OS, even though you aren't using a RAID volume for the OS. Changing to RAID mode after the OS installation can be done, but involves a registry change, and there is no reason not to set things up right when you install the OS.

Comment

Hello,

This thread is kinda old but right now I'm stuck with trying to set up RAID1 with the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard.

Could you please elaborate on that? I'm still trying to make it work on my system with Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Best regards,

Med

Comment

Originally posted by medmeks View Post
            Hello,

This thread is kinda old but right now I'm stuck with trying to set up RAID1 with the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard.

Could you please elaborate on that? I'm still trying to make it work on my system with Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Best regards,

Med

Dear medmeks,

Hi, I’m Eddy from ASRock HQ TSD,

Here's Z77 Extreme6 RAID installation Guide for you as reference:
            http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/...e6/English.pdf

Also you can follow below instruction to create the RAID volume:
            (1)Enter to BIOS setting>Advanced page>Storage Configuration>Storage Configuration>SATA Mode Selection>RAID
            (2)Reboot system and press "Ctrl+I" to enter to Intel RAID BIOS then Create RAID volume.
            (3)After the settings, please press F11 to install
            (4When you are installing the OS, please refer the RAID installation guide information to add the RAID driver for system)

If have any question during the installation, please provide some more information or pictures for us to verify.

Thanks for your reply.

ASRock TSD
            Eddy
            Last edited by ASRock TSD-Eddy; 11-03-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for taking your time.

I could sort out the problem meanwhile by restarting the computer in safe mode. That is all it takes. I suspect that your method - that I did not try out since I've already solved the problem - misses a little bit the point. In my case it was about making the hard drives work in a working Windows 10 environment AFTER the OS had already been installed, going from AHCI to RAID.

Anyways, cheers mate!

Comment

Working...
              X