Asrock 990fx extreme 4 shuting down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock 990fx extreme 4 shuting down

The computer keeps shutting down even in the bios screen, it will boot to windows 8 but I have been pressing delete to get to setup rather than keep crashing windows.
    I have disconnected everything except video card Evga 650SC and boot ssd transcend 128gb. I have a FX8120 cpu and wixx 600 watt psu.
    When I power on it posts and i can get into the bios screen, everything appears to be Ok and then it will shut down. If I then wait 2mins I can then reboot and get into bios. The same thing happens, the longer I leave it switched off the longer it is before shutting down but no more than 2-3 mins before shutting down.
    Ok, I think the power supply has died does anyone else have an thoughts?
    If it is psu what size wattage and make would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mach1korea; 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM.

Re: Asrock 990fx extreme 4 shuting down

Make sure you check that all cables are connected correctly. Also you can test your PSU on another system to check if it is alive or not.
    If your PSU would be dead,I bet you could't boot.

Comment

Thanks for your input. It was working ok before, except one of the fan in the psu was a litle noisey. I do have an old box i could try it on.
      When it does shut down I have to switch the mains off before I can power on again

Comment

Bad capacitors on/in the psu or mb will exhibit this behavior.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yeah the psu is about 6 years old so it is possible that an electrolytic has dried out. Th MB is only 6 months old. Im going to try it an old system see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by mach1korea View Post
            Yeah the psu is about 6 years old so it is possible that an electrolytic has dried out. Th MB is only 6 months old. Im going to try it an old system see what happens
            6 years? Wow! I bet it's PSU....

Comment

Follow up. I changed the psu its not shutting down now but I m not getting any video and debug code 99 until I hit a key on the keyboard then it goes to A9 then A6 and that is where it is stuck
              Any ideals i have unplugged all drives still the same
              Last edited by mach1korea; 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Any chance a std no frills PS/2 keyboard will still pause at 99? My guess is what you have now is a gaming or other advanced function(s) keyboard.

The A6, IIRC, will go away once you have an OS installed.

Using two matched pair, only two sticks, of memory place them in slots A2 and B2 and retry booting.

If on the off chance nothing happens while using A2 and B2, try placing only one stick in B2 and if fails there try A2.

Post back on your results.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OK, from my last post all sorted . The debug codes were a false lead, the original problem was the power supply which I have now replaced with a Zalman ZM700-gt and all working. The no display, it appears that in the process of curing one problem another was created. The video lead went o/c or something tried another AND AT LAST ALL WORKING.

A big thanks to every one for your input and help.

Comment

That's good to here. Thanks for the follow up post.

Comment

Working...
                    X