extreme4 vs extreme6 mobo difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extreme4 vs extreme6 mobo difference?

I went on newegg to try to see the difference between the two, and it seemed as they were both virtually the same. can someone tell me the differences between the two? and whichever one is "better"? thanks.

Re: extreme4 vs extreme6 mobo difference?

bump, anyone?

Comment

Still thinking about this?

Ok, what does the EX 6 have that the EX 4 does not:

Fancier VRM heatsink with heatpipe. Otherwise, same number of VRMs.

Different add on USB 3.0 chip, Etron vs ASMedia. Is the Etron better? Got me.

It has a floppy disk connection. Wow. Why? Do you need that?

It has a IEEE 1394 header. Again, wow. IMO, who cares?

Display port output on I/O panel.

Two more SATA data cables, PCI slot USB 3.0 bracket, front panel USB 3.0 panel, and 10 screws.

Does all that add up to better for you? You tell me.

Comment

In terms of p67 gen 2
        Around the time I was buying mine there was only one review that included both of these boards and boards from other manufacturers.
        They got a slightly better overclock on the ext 6(very slightly..and said this could possibly be down to the better VRM phasing).
        The fdd connector ive actually used,funnily enough in my previous system there was no room for an internal fdd.

The original ext 4,i thought also used etron for 2 usb ports only, Im not sure if it had dual lan either? and stuff like that but hey this is 2 years ago :)

It only takes a few cliks to get p67 motherboard roundup reviews on google..or variations of that
        Like p67 asrock motherboard roundups or 1155 asrock motherboard roundups.

I think Asrock had like 6 types of 67 mbrds out then.h67,transformer,pro 3 ext 4 ext 6 and fatality.

Later boards z 68 77 etc no idea on except for an ext 4 gen 3 motherboard came out, I didnt see any ext6 gen 3,maybe I missed it,even tho the ext 6 does have a gen3 bios now.
        Last edited by kick; 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Sin's Hardware and http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...xtreme6-Review
          Last edited by demise03; 02-03-2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Hey that is interesting, along time since Ive checked xtreme sys..not too much diff to the p67 ext 6.
            Course the overclocks are a bit ludicrous unless using water cooling,points to the real world lack of usefullness for "validation"(translation pose shot..dont try this if you actually want to run a program).
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Hey, very interesting review from sin0822, or should I say, eye-opening, and not all in a good way.

Assuming his analysis of the Z77 Extreme 4's CPU VRM's is correct (I'm not implying it isn't, but details of it might not be), we see some marketing confusion, mistakes, or just plain lying. Not the cheaper VRM chips themselves, which is disappointing, but the apparently analog controlled PWM switching, not digital as is stated in the board's overview. The reviewer calls the design a four phase rather than eight phase, although that might be arguable at the engineers level (both ways.) The difference seen in the Extreme 6, with different components and more of them, tend to support the reviewer's conclusion.

The marketing information equates the two products in this area, which is clearly false. Oddly, it understates the Extreme 6 while overstating the Extreme 4. Regardless, disappointing for an Extreme 4 owner like myself. Now I see why some users had issues with the even cheaper Pro series boards with long term OCing. The VRMs on those boards have 1/2 the components the Extreme 4 has.

The analysis of the switching chip used for the eSATA port IMO is wrong, at least in the end result. Add on, so called SATA III chips like the ASMedia and Marvell, which are connected to one PCIe lane, at 5Gb/s, are inherently under performers. The test result on the eSATA port are very typical for the ASMedia SATA chip, and show at most only a slight reduction in its capability.

The OC results for these boards (and the Ivy Bridge CPU) were stunning, and certainly not lacking in performance. IMO, deeming one board better, due to a difference of 10MHz (actually, 6.1MHz, for a difference of ~0.12%), is a moot point, when both boards were approaching 5.3GHz! The rest of the benchmarks were so close the term "margin of error" is to extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

The OC results for these boards (and the Ivy Bridge CPU) were stunning, and certainly not lacking in performance. IMO, deeming one board better, due to a difference of 10MHz (actually, 6.1MHz, for a difference of ~0.12%), is a moot point, when both boards were approaching 5.3GHz! The rest of the benchmarks were so close the term "margin of error" is to extreme.
                Well interesting in parts..but cpuid validation for overclocks is next to meaningless especially for 1155's..its only amax boot into windows value as theres no real loading involved in validation.
                With 1.55v validation hes allowing peaks of 1.6v+ to the cpu for "lookie here".
                The validation is so fast to do that the ivy 105 degree pre thermal throttling doesnt come into it and both the sandy and ivy cpu's absorb the first second of heat into the die itself.
                Consider also that ivy has a higher tj max than sandy,whatever about the solder v thermal paste debate,so all things being equal it should have a higher instananeous speed before thermal throttling.
                For a direct comparrison between boards like you say above there isnt much in itand without a load,perhaps on a different day the ex 4 would have "beaten" the ex6.

The review I mentioned above was p67ex4 vs p67ex6 and it wasnt on a "validation" basis .
                I mean my own system on a quick check will do 5.2 ok maybe 5.3+ for validation if I wanted to chance over 1.6v thru to boot and initial spin up to 1.53 or upped the base clock more from my usual or whatever.perhaps even with an intel heatsink and fan.
                Like if he had the machines open case in a cold room for an hr before applying the "max cpu clock" and "max base clock" who knows what could have been "validated".

I personally havent used "validation" in a few years but I do have a validation file of this oc and could probably add another digit on to the base clock(I doubt I could go another multiplier ,without going over 1.6v) but its usefullness is near 0 to me.

Did I mention I dont think much of "validation" ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.2 n a bit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	753515
                Last edited by kick; 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM.
                Current Systems:

Comment

I agree, a short term OC is worthless, validated or not. Long term might show how good the CPU VRMs hold up. An OC that high is not important to me anyway.

5.234GHz on an i5-2500K, 1.45V at 33C! Idle I imagine, still mighty fine.

Yes, to many unknowns in the VRM's actually power output capabilities, but as someone that has some semiconductor part knowledge, the components do matter as well as the circuit design. The Z77 Ex 6 does look better in those areas.

Comment

Yep definitely idle..wouldnt want to give the impression that I run 5.2 on 1.45 v average...tho itd be nice..I mean my lil test run is as illusory as .oh I dunno..cpuid validation?
                    Current Systems:

Comment

Suicide runs
                      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

From the ASRock Z77 Extreme11 (Intel Z77) Motherboard Review :: TweakTown USA Edition page 1 introduction:
                        17. That's the number of motherboards that ASRock currently have using the Z77 chipset. It's truly a massive amount of boards for one chipset, but the Z77 is a mainstream one and ASRock are known for making boards for so many categories. The chipset saw Nick Shih's first board in the Z77 OC Formula which did a fantastic job of impressing us.
                        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                        X