Card Reader hookup to Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card Reader hookup to Motherboard

My motherboard in a HP computer crashed and I just replaced it with an Asrock ALiveNF6P-VSTA motherboard. That allowed me to use the same CPU and memory and hard drive and Microsoft even validated the new install of Vista with the new motherboard.
    There are 6 USB ports built into the back of the Asrock board, and one USB header on the board for hooking up the front two USB ports.
    This computer case has a built in card reader for SD, Flash, Memory Stick, etc. The cable from the card reader was plugged into a USB header on the old board but I have no extra USB headers on the Asrock board.
    I know you can chain USB devices and was wondering if it is possible to use a "splitter" on the header to hook up both the USB cables and the card reader to the board. Do they make such a thing?
    I know the header is just a double plug for two USB cables, so I could disable one of the front ports and use it to connect the card reader instead, but was hoping I could make it all work.
    Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by dkocian; 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM.

Re: Card Reader hookup to Motherboard

Originally posted by dkocian View Post
    There are 6 USB ports built into the back of the Asrock board, and one USB header on the board for hooking up the front two USB ports.[/SIZE]
    Better look again at that online manual. There are three USB 2.0 headers on the board. Page 10, motherboard diagram, numbers 17, 19 and 20.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The diagram shows #17 is the Clear CMOS Jumper, #19 is the HDMI_SPDIF Header, and #20 is the 2 port USB header I mentioned in my email. I don't see another USB header on the board. Are you looking at the manual on the ALiveNF6P-VSTA board?

Thanks,
      David

Comment

Oops. I was wrong on the layout. #20 is the WIFI/E header and #24 is the dual USB port header.
        However, as far as I can tell, there is only the one USB header on the board.

David

Comment

... I just replaced it with [SIZE=3]an Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard.
          You state in your first post it's an Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA. I bother to look up your manual on the 'net and answer correctly for THAT mobo!

Are you looking at the manual on the ALiveNF6P-VSTA board?
          Now you are stating it's an ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA.

Buy a usb card.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Even in the thread of yours, http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...anel-jack.html, you state it's an ALiveNF6G-VSTA and follow my post of the ALiveNF6G-VSTA online manual to correct for no sound.

[SIZE=3]I just installed an Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard. ........
            Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            Look at pgs 11(footnotes) and 20(entire "Front Panel Audio Header") of the Online Manual for possible help.

ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/ALiveNF6G-VSTA.pdf
            Worked like a charm! Thanks !!!
            That will teach me to read the whole manual. I just stopped reading too soon.

Comment

disclaimer: I won't be held responsible if you fry your system... (and just having to say this is probably good enough reason to not reply at all....)

To answer one of your questions about splitting out the USB... possibly
              A USB header is wired like this
              Code:
              +5v x  x +5v
              D0- x  x D1-
              D0+ x  x D1+
              gnd x  x GND
              Key    x unused
              If one of your cables has the "key" unplugged (not filled in) then you can connect two USB header cables side by side. One being powered by the "D0" side, and the other by the "D1" side. Each will only get half the USB connections, but may do what you are asking.

The recommendation to just buy a usb card is probably the wisest choice.

Comment

An "internal" USB hub may also be a perfect fit here

see here for an example

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  You state in your first post it's an Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA. I bother to look up your manual on the 'net and answer correctly for THAT mobo!

Now you are stating it's an ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA.

Buy a usb card.
                  OMG! The devil is in the details. "Where's the ball, Coach?"

Comment

Wow. Did I screw up. No idea how the "G" got in the intitial email. The board is the "P" version.
                    The PCI USB card is probably the way I will go. Spent some time looking online and found the following, which would also work.

10-Pin USB/AC97/HD-Audio Internal Header Y Splitter Cable (5cm) - modDIY.com

Thanks for all the feedback.

David

Comment

@David
                      You can select Edit Post at the bottom of post #1 to correct the model name in post #1 and save the corrected text.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The PCI USB card is probably the way I will go. Spent some time looking online and found the following, which would also work.

10-Pin USB/AC97/HD-Audio Internal Header Y Splitter Cable (5cm) - modDIY.com

Thanks for all the feedback.

David
                        For the benefit of others who might chance upon this thread. That cable dkocian pointed out would have a caveat, that even though both headers on the split would be electrically connected, you would not be able to use both at the same time. their data signals would conflict and possibly have power issues. this would show as sporadic connectivity issues. You would just have to note that when you are using one of the USB ports the other cant be used at the same time.

Comment

Synack, your comment is intriguing. I know you can DaisyChain USB ports up to 127 connections. Voltage is always a problem because each connection shares the 5.25 volts, which is why most HDD have their own power source. I also understand that the ports will all share the bandwidth (I think that is like 480Mbits/s for USB 2.0?). However, I thought the pinout on the board was identical to the connections on the Type A connector, i.e. that each pin was just connected directly to a pin on the connector. When you plug in a hub, is there something more that just connecting the ports in parallel? I was thinking that the 10 pin splitter on the header was going to work the same as a hub would in one of the external ports. Sounds like I'm wrong. I have been trying to find out just how the hubs are wired, but no luck so far. Would the split at the header give a different result than a hub hooked up at an external port?
                          Thanks,
                          David

Comment

Working...
                          X