RAID and BIOS settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID and BIOS settings

Hi, I'm new to the forum, stumbled across this while trying to find answers to this board and some Intel Tech.

I am having trouble getting hardware RAID to work. Whenever I set SATA mode to RAID in BIOS, Windows gives me BSOD. When I set it back to AHCI after creating the array, Windows boots up fine and recognizes the two drives as one. But then Intel Rapid Store says I have a problem. I have one 60GB for the OS, and two 320gb WD Blue for the raid array (raid 0).

How do I correctly setup RAID?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 8bitg33k; 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM.

Re: RAID and BIOS settings

You should have installed Windows 7 with the SATA configuration set to RAID. Use the add driver feature in the beginning of Windows 7 installation to add the IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Tech) driver. Single drives are allowed in RAID mode. Just plug the drive in.

It is possible to change the configuration after installing Windows 7 by changing some registry settings. Microsoft has an auto fix to automatically change the registry settings. You will need the IRST driver.
    Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

Comment

So it is not possible to add a RAID array after installing the OS, even when the OS does not reside on the RAID array but on it's own separate SSD other than by changing the registry settings?

That's pretty much what I did. ie, I installed Windows on the SSD in AHCI mode, then went into the BIOS set it to RAID mode, created the RAID array with the other two (mechanical drives), rebooted and got a BSOD. Then I set SATA back to to AHCI mode and Windows booted fine. Windows Disk Management correctly identified the two drives as one, so everything looks ok just that irst Manager is giving me this warning. Windows Write Cache Buffer Flushing is enabled.
      Last edited by 8bitg33k; 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

When you initially install your o/s using AHCI mode, you must change the windows registry to be able to use a raid setup.
        This can be done by manually editing the registry, applying a download .REG file or using the Microsoft Auto Fix.
        This has been discussed in many threads in the Gigabyte forum.
        A web search using: how to enable raid in windows 7 without reinstalling
        will detail the different procedures.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by 8bitg33k View Post
          So it is not possible to add a RAID array after installing the OS, even when the OS does not reside on the RAID array but on it's own separate SSD other than by changing the registry settings?
          No,is not possible.
          First RAID then OS.

Comment

That's good info, thanks for the answers!

Comment

You're welcome.

I think that Stasio is correct if you want to set up a two drive raid array for your operating system.
              You want to set up an array for your WD data drives, so you should be able to do this using one of the above techniques.
              Let us know how it works out.
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Hold on, it's possible to convert to RAID from AHCI, but it involves some work. You may decide to start over, but you can check this guide:

Guide How to switch to RAID 0 - without reinstalling!

As you saw, you can't change to RAID and create a volume, and then change to AHCI mode and have the RAID volume still work. You must stay in RAID mode for RAID to work.

Comment

@Parsec
                  The OCZ Raid 0 Guide appears to be for converting a single o/s drive to a two drive raid 0 array for the operating system.
                  The OP wants to set up both of his WD hard drives in a raid 0 array and leave the o/s drive as a single drive.

There is no problem with having his o/s drive as a single raid drive.
                  It seems to me that he should do the registry hack to enable raid mode with his current o/s ssd as the only drive attached to his system.
                  I assume that he can leave his optical drive connected during this step.
                  Once he has completed converting his system from AHCI to RAID, he will have all the Intel raid software installed after his system has completed all of the required reboots.

This is where I'm winging it, should he then continue by installing both of his WD hard drives and then create the raid 0 array for both of his hard drives?

Comment

The RAID array does exist already... just that irst is reporting 'a problem' and does not show the array, only the SSD as in the image in the first post.

1. I installed the OS on the SSD with the two Blue's unplugged
                    2. I plugged in the Blues, set SATA Mode to RAID and created the array
                    3. Windows crashed (BSOD)
                    4. I went back into BIOS and set SATA mode to AHCI
                    5. Windows booted fine and recognized the Intel RAID 0 array (even with SATA mode set to AHCI)
                    6. Intel irst does NOT show the RAID array but reports 'a problem'
                    7. When I set SATA mode back to RAID, I start getting BSOD's again

Granted, I haven't been able to actually try any of the suggested steps yet. Just wanted to make sure it's clear what is happening (ie array exists, single SSD with OS, RAID array as data storage. In short, this may be a non-issue as the RAID array works just the fact that irst is showing a undefined problem and not showing the two Blues.

Last edited by 8bitg33k; 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

The guys are right, you have to do the Registry hack to get windows to use the raid driver for what you want to do. because what you are doing is running your OS from the same RAID controller but as a non-member disk.

but before you do the hack, make sure you updated the chipset drivers to the latest as it will include the RAID drivers in the OS repository. if you just rely on the drivers that windows installed during the install, it will just install the generic AHCI driver and you'll still have issues once you apply the hack... been there, done that... 4hrs later voila...

another thing you could do is move the OS disk to a different controller and set it as AHCI. then your OS shouldn't care as it's still AHCI and then should automatically install the appropriate drivers for your blue's.

Vin
                      Main Rig
                      OS = Win10-64Bit
                      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                      MB = Asus ROG C6H
                      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                      Mem = 24GB RAM
                      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                      PSU = Corsair TX750
                      Case = Define R5

Comment

Ok, your situation is simpler than I thought. All you need to do is the one time registry "hack" (hardly a hack, the registry is a database used by the OS and applications, the change just allows the RAID driver to be loaded and some underlying things to occur), load the Intel IRST RAID/AHCI driver (which you have done apparently), reboot, then do the registry change, reboot and immediately change to RAID mode, and you're done.

The BSOD is caused by the correct driver not being loaded, given what the registry is telling Windows to do with the SATA driver. You can't have a RAID volume as long as the SATA mode is set to AHCI.

Comment

Hmmm,found something.........but says that OS must be set to RAID during install...

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                            Hmmm,found something.........but says that OS must be set to RAID during install...

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - ASUS Z77 Motherboards - Official Support Thread

That's just a play on words, he's pointing out that those registry setting must be set for the RAID driver to take effect/install.... I had them set and was switching back and forth between AHCI/RAID and I could only boot while the bios was in AHCI mode. then while in AHCI mode I re-installed the chipset drivers (I thought I had months prior but what-ever) then re-booted, set bios to RAID and boot, no BSOD.

Vin
                            Main Rig
                            OS = Win10-64Bit
                            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                            MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                            OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                            Mem = 24GB RAM
                            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                            PSU = Corsair TX750
                            Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              (hardly a hack, the registry is a database used by the OS and applications, the change just allows the RAID driver to be loaded and some underlying things to occur)
                              not disagreeing with you, but the fact it doesn't do it on it's own (which is pretty silly) or have a soft switch somewhere in the device manager or the control panel, everywhere it's called a hack. just saying.

Vin
                              Main Rig
                              OS = Win10-64Bit
                              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                              Mem = 24GB RAM
                              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                              PSU = Corsair TX750
                              Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                              X