Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

intel i7-3770 hd graphics 4000 freeze (Asrock h77 pro4/MVP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intel i7-3770 hd graphics 4000 freeze (Asrock h77 pro4/MVP)

My name is Sergey. Sorry for my English...

configuration:

Power supply 650W Seasonic (SSR-650RM)
    CPU Socket 1155 Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
    DDR III 4096 Mb x 4pcs 1600 Mhz PC-12800 G.Skill (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL) (there is a list of compatibility with MB)
    Optical drive DVD-RW NEC AD-7280S-0B Bulk Black
    Zalman CNPS10X Performa
    (video card - using integrated)

The problem:
    Gathered me a PC. Nothing new in it only HDD. I decided to sit out until the HD4000. When running NFS Undercover, DIRT3 - hangs with looping sound (like a rattle).

To solve the problem did:
    BIOS update from 1.30 to 1.50.
    Tests: memtest86 + = OK, Linx - OK (81 Gflops), Aida ee - OK no overheating (in test Linx 60 degrees), it is impossible to determine what goes wrong. Although the 3D mark 2006 - At 1920 to 1080 consistently hangs with sound crackling (sometimes at a lower resolution).
    Also noticed that memory - works with 11-11-11-28 timings, it should run on 9-9-9-24. He went into the bios changed it to the right - the OS normally start, but challenges remain.
    To be honest fantasy come ...

What do I do not know. Nothing helps, and it saddens me ...
    There are many users

many people have this problem:

But for my motherboard is no new BIOS

Thanks Sergey.
    Last edited by s2000; 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM.

Re: intel i7-3770 hd graphics 4000 freeze (Asrock h77 pro4/MVP)

Sergey, you are expecting to much from the Intel HD 4000 graphics. It is not a powerful gaming chip. You are using a resolution that is straining the HD 4000 to much. You saw that yourself with the 3D Mark test at 1920 x 1080, or lower.

LinX, Aida, and Memtest do not test the graphics chip/core, so while you have shown your CPU and memory is working fine, your testing of the HD 4000 at 1920 x 1080 clearly shows that is the weakest part of your PC.

This is a chart comparing the performance of common graphics cards and chips, the HD 4000 is in the list, near the bottom:

PassMark Videocard Benchmarks - Common Videocards

Your CPU and memory is not the problem, during gaming, they are not being used very much compared to the video chip or video card.

You don't have a 'K' version of the i7-3770 CPU, so you don't have any way to over clock the video processor, correct?

Your system report you posted in the Intel forum shows you have the latest driver released by Intel, so nothing to do about drivers.

All you can do is reduce the resolution when gaming, or get a separate graphics card with better performance.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I understand that. HD 4000 can produce a small amount of FPS, but the PС should not hang, it's not normal.. I am now experimenting with the parameters of the BIOS. If I succeed, then talk about everything. I'm sure the HD4000 can work without hangs. Such problems are not all motherboards, so I'm sure asrok should study the problem and try to solve it.

Best regards Sergey
      Last edited by s2000; 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

18-02-2013 put the settings on here are:
        PiXS.ru / / /
        manually in North brodge -> iGPU share memory = auto replaced by 1024 (max).

The third day I test in OCCT - as seen hanging in his tests, while tests 3dmark 2006 to go. Today is Day 3 of "night tests" are the results (I do not know whether all the graphs normally confuse Vin 4, but by itself taking tests without errors and freezes)

3VCC
        PiXS.ru / / /
        AVCC
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Cpu Usage
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Cpu Vcore
        PiXS.ru / / /
        CpuTin
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Fps
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Memory used
        PiXS.ru / / /
        VIN1
        PiXS.ru / / /
        VIN4
        PiXS.ru / / /
        VIN5
        PiXS.ru / / /
        VIN6
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Core # 0,1,2,3
        PiXS.ru / / /
        PiXS.ru / / /
        PiXS.ru / / /
        PiXS.ru / / /
        Last edited by s2000; 02-20-2013, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Passed one month. PC worked fine, but yesterday when playing Dirt 3 - again freeze (monitor off) I'm raised the core speed up to 1250 and see what happens next. It is a pity that you can not give a concrete answer, what could be the problem ...

Comment

Originally posted by s2000 View Post
            Passed one month. PC worked fine, but yesterday when playing Dirt 3 - again freeze (monitor off) I'm raised the core speed up to 1250 and see what happens next. It is a pity that you can not give a concrete answer, what could be the problem ...
            what intel hd 4000 driver you running at?

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphime View Post
              what intel hd 4000 driver you running at?
              Version:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers

Comment

Originally posted by s2000 View Post
                The pity is that you refuse to accept that as a gaming platform, the HD4000 is no better than a low-end graphics card, sorry to say.

Try asking your question on a gamer-oriented forum, if you think you could handle the replies.

Comment

Exact same problem, same CPU, different board but same socket.

Mother: Asrock H61M-DGS

BIOS: 1.60, mother was purchased with 1.50

RAM: 4GB 1066 MHz

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 (no K) (Intel HD4000)

SO: Windows 7 64 bits SP1 updated to date

I usually play at desktop resolution, my LED monitor is actually 1366x768. If games show performance problems, the first thing I try is lower the resolution, trying to maintain aspect ratio of my monitor when possible. In extreme cases I set 800x600 in some games configuration, most LCD/LED monitors will stretch the image rather than place letterbox at the sides (that would be my preferred behaviour) but this is a way of make some games run at playable speed. As I do not use dedicated graphic card I rarely turn on things like antialiazing or high def textures. Most games I own are very playable with this hardware combination, some require to touch their video configuration to boost frame rate to satisfactory levels.

I like to think that I'm a bit more realist about gaming capabilities of my specific hardware setup. I tried Battlefield 2, Minecraft, and some other games about the time of Battlefield 2. And yes, I admit I tried some newer games to test my luck.

These freezes are very weird. No Bluescreen, no memory dumps, no event registered at Windows event viewer involving any Intel driver file as one may expect. No clue about the cause. You cannot CTRL+ALT+SUPR to close the game, you cannot move the mouse pointer, only the power button returns the control of the system.

I refuse to accept that my games stress the HD4000 so much that the entire system freeze. If you google for "i7 3770 system freeze" you will see alot of people having the same problem even with very low requirements games, even games that worked in an outdated onboard GMA X4500, even games known to run with an Intel HD 3000. A lot of people solved this updating their BIOS (ASUS and GIGABYTE owners, according to that thread from Intel forums). But latest (stable) BIOS from Asrock for this motherboard really does not change the situation.

I'm already aware that put this burden upon a poor (and not so poor in my opinion, look for the list of tested games) HD4000 is an example of human greed. But I'm user of Intel GPUs from the times of the old GMA 950 and I always had more than satisfactory results, always aware that Integrated GPUs != Dedicated graphic cards, and that Intel relation with the games industry is not exactly the same as NVidia and AMD. I don't think my spectations are irrational.

I don't want to buy a bigger cooler because I cannot confirm that temps are the culprit. My CPU is at 40 C doing nothing, but If I meassure temps using Speedfan during a game session I don't see them raising to scary levels.

Can I count with a future update that magically make this problem dissapear? Any workaround to get rid of the freezes?

I still suspect the cooler (intuition). Any guide to underclock this specific CPU+Motherboard? I will be happy to sacrifice speed for no more system freezes. I don't want to buy a bigger cooler yet, without some kind of confirmation first. And I prefer underclock other than try an i3 or i5.
                  Last edited by Level7; 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM. Reason: Correcting a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Level7 View Post
                    Exact same problem, same CPU, different board but same socket.

Mother: Asrock H61M-DGS

BIOS: 1.60, mother was purchased with 1.50

RAM: 4GB 1066 MHz

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 (no K) (Intel HD4000)

SO: Windows 7 64 bits SP1 updated to date

I usually play at desktop resolution, my LED monitor is actually 1366x768. If games show performance problems, the first thing I try is lower the resolution, trying to maintain aspect ratio of my monitor when possible. In extreme cases I set 800x600 in some games configuration, most LCD/LED monitors will stretch the image rather than place letterbox at the sides (that would be my preferred behaviour) but this is a way of make some games run at playable speed. As I do not use dedicated graphic card I rarely turn on things like antialiazing or high def textures. Most games I own are very playable with this hardware combination, some require to touch their video configuration to boost frame rate to satisfactory levels.

I like to think that I'm a bit more realist about gaming capabilities of my specific hardware setup. I tried Battlefield 2, Minecraft, and some other games about the time of Battlefield 2. And yes, I admit I tried some newer games to test my luck.

These freezes are very weird. No Bluescreen, no memory dumps, no event registered at Windows event viewer involving any Intel driver file as one may expect. No clue about the cause. You cannot CTRL+ALT+SUPR to close the game, you cannot move the mouse pointer, only the power button returns the control of the system.

I refuse to accept that my games stress the HD4000 so much that the entire system freeze. If you google for "i7 3770 system freeze" you will see alot of people having the same problem even with very low requirements games, even games that worked in an outdated onboard GMA X4500, even games known to run with an Intel HD 3000. A lot of people solved this updating their BIOS (ASUS and GIGABYTE owners, according to that thread from Intel forums). But latest (stable) BIOS from Asrock for this motherboard really does not change the situation.

I'm already aware that put this burden upon a poor (and not so poor in my opinion, look for the list of tested games) HD4000 is an example of human greed. But I'm user of Intel GPUs from the times of the old GMA 950 and I always had more than satisfactory results, always aware that Integrated GPUs != Dedicated graphic cards, and that Intel relation with the games industry is not exactly the same as NVidia and AMD. I don't think my spectations are irrational.

I don't want to buy a bigger cooler because I cannot confirm that temps are the culprit. My CPU is at 40 C doing nothing, but If I meassure temps using Speedfan during a game session I don't see them raising to scary levels.

Can I count with a future update that magically make this problem dissapear? Any workaround to get rid of the freezes?

I still suspect the cooler (intuition). Any guide to underclock this specific CPU+Motherboard? I will be happy to sacrifice speed for no more system freezes. I don't want to buy a bigger cooler yet, without some kind of confirmation first. And I prefer underclock other than try an i3 or i5.
                    Your expectations (I assume) of the HD4000 graphics may not be irrational, but that alone is not the issue IMO.

Freezes and blue screens can be caused by anything, and as long as the OS cannot regain control, the system is frozen. Games are complex programs using many resources, they can crash for many reasons that are independent of the video hardware.

I agree there are a fair amount of reports of problems gaming with the new Intel graphics. Just as with the video card manufactures, the issues are often driver related.

What Intel video driver version are you using? If it is the latest on your board's download page, that is an old driver now.

The two latest directly from Intel are here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...00&FamilyId=39

If you wait for the mobo manufactures to update all the drivers, you'll wait forever in some cases. I have no problems using the graphics drivers directly from Intel, they should install fine. The new driver installation program may update the DirectX, etc software during the installation. You did not mention drivers at all, so I'm including that link.

Have you ever checked your memory usage while gaming? Your 4GB may not be enough at times. If your BIOS has a setting for the amount of memory allocated to the HD4000 graphics, what is that set to currently? Integrated graphics don't have their own memory like graphics cards, so use system RAM only. Windows 7 uses about one GB idling at the desktop. Depending on the game, you might be low or running out of memory as Windows sees it, and is using the pagefile for the game, which might cause problems.

Comment

Sorry for the typo in expectations.

I hadn't considered the RAM at all as 4 GB is more than recommended requirements of most games. From Minecraft I expect unpredictably RAM usage, in special when you abuse the number of entities that can be placed in a map. But the other games should be more stable about RAM usage. I will try to log my RAM usage during a game session until the system freezes. Maybe I will try to borrow another 4 GB module from a friend and try again with 8 GB.

Due to this problem, when gaming I close everything except for the OS background processes and services, and off-course the anti-virus. I have some third-party services running like the one installed by printer software and Google-update, Adobe-update, etc. Skype does not start with Windows, skype.exe not in processes while gaming. Few things on top of a clean Windows installation.

About drivers:

I tried many, trying to get rid of the freezes. I tried with latest driver I found on Intel web site (10.XX). Then I uninstalled and tried with latest offered via Windows Update. Then uninstalled and tried the one in the CD of this motherboard. Then the latest found on Asrock website for this board. Then an older one (8.XX) found on Asrock site too. I wanted this version 8 specifically because in the Intel forums thread one user stated that He could not reproduce the freezes with any 8.XX version of the driver, while 9.XX and 10.XX = system freeze. Lamentably 8.XX didn't work for me.

Version 9.XX (latest from Asrock) has the best performance for Minecraft. Other games performs the same (to me) with any driver. But with this one Battlefield 2 does not show those weird artifacts on the ground of all maps (like shadows but where should not be shadows).

About shared video memory:

I manually set it to 512 MB in BIOS. The parameter is called Shared Memory Size and It is found in Advanced Settings->North Bridge configuration. I think I have more stability with 512 than with Auto (the default value) but It may be a matter of luck, as freezes frequency are a bit random anyway.
                      Last edited by Level7; 01-17-2014, 11:54 PM. Reason: Add important info

Comment

No problem, I thought you meant expectations.

Is 512MB the maximum setting for you Shared Memory? On my ASR Z77 and Z87 boards, the max is 1024MB. That might be because I have at least 8GB in those boards.

A spec from Intel states the most system memory that will be used is 1.70GB, so you might be Ok with 4GB. Would faster memory (1600) help you, not sure.

Try disabling Virtualization in the Advanced CPU options.

Do you use the VGA or DVI-D output?

A CPU temperature of 40C at idle is not bad, but not great. Your CPU should be fine up to 80C+. If you can get more air movement through the PC case, that will help with CPU temps.

Comment

I tried disable various things on BIOS, like Power save. No CPU Throttle because I feel unsafe without it. Virtualization is needed by Virtual Box to run Virtual Machines, I use that feature, but I will disable it to see if the freezes goes away. I will post again after some testing with virtualization turned off.

I use VGA connector as my monitor, even if LED, does not have DVI. Can the connector in use make a difference? I have a DVI to VGA adapter from an old NVidia GT 6600 (AGPx8) (Correction: should be from a newer one, the 6600 didn't come with an adapter, some card I burned or gifted). I can use it and try but I don't see how it may help. Some issue of the HD 4000 with VGA?

During my attempts to fix this. I tried with shared memory to 1024 too. I decided to leave it at 512 as it seems to be the value that contributes more to the duration of game sessions. 1024 is my max, probably due to my current amount of RAM as Asrock states in its site that this board should support a max value of 1760 MB for Ivy Bridge processors. But BIOS does not allow me to set that number.

Actually I have everything to default values except for video memory manually set at 512. For example BIOS automatically set my memory bus speed to 1066 MHz, I know my module support 1333 MHz, If I set it to 1333 manually nothing improves or get worse, system boots ok, and freezes while running games are the same, but for now I will leave It with its default value, except off-course you think 1333 may help.
                          Last edited by Level7; 01-18-2014, 01:41 AM. Reason: some extra info

Comment

What seems to did the trick was Shared Memory set manually to 1024 MB. Virtualization doesn't seem to have any effect. Power save doesn't have any effect. I was playing with memory set to 512 because I thought the game sessions last longer with that configuration but after try everything else with no success I'd set video memory to 1024 and no more freezes. But I remember to have tried this same value before with no success, maybe the combination of driver version 8.XXX and shared memory to 1024 is what solved the freezes.

I'm still using memory at 1066 MHz, maybe I should try with 1333 and see if the system still resists.

I'm thinking in increase the memory to 8 GB, but based on what is happening until now memory size doesn't seem to be what causing the problem. Also for the record, I tried with other 4 GB module for some time and freezes still occur, I'm now with my original module.

Considered the time since my previous answer to this thread I think is pretty safe to assume that driver 8 + shared memory to 1024 is what doing the trick. I will try the newest Intel drivers again and if the freezes return I will go back to driver 8.

Comment

Working...
                            X