Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drives & USB loss

Hi,

I am new to this and am a silver surfer!

I have the following motherboard ASRock N68C-S UCC.

I have 2 hard drives in my tower already and wish to know if this board will take a third to make life easier for me?

Also I lost the use of my USB ports, had to pay for privilege of updating the bios......... can some very kind person tell me ...........

1. how to prevent something like this happening again?

2. how often should I check on BIOS updates?

3. how are they installed?

I realise that this is all pretty basic stuff for many - but it scares me to death! Please bear with me asking really stupid questions

Regards to all you intelligent and bright people

Steve

Re: Hard Drives & USB loss

Hello and Welcome Steve.

The N68C-S UCC has four SATA II connectors that you can connect four HDD or CD/DVD/BD drives to in addition to the IDE connector which can accept another two IDE HDD or CD/DVD drives.

That, if I read you correctly, you "lost' the USB ports while/after flashing is not common. Not common at all. An aberration.
    Are you positive you flashed using the correct BIOS file(s) for your N68C-S UCC, and not that of another board mistakenly?

1. see above
    2. as long as everything is working fine IMO there is no reason
    3. ASRock has on the BIOS download page, and the manual I assume, the proper methods to flash in regards to either the Instant Flash, DOS, or Windows BIOS updating procedure.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: Hard Drives & USB loss

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Hello and Welcome Steve.

The N68C-S UCC has four SATA II connectors that you can connect four HDD or CD/DVD/BD drives to in addition to the IDE connector which can accept another two IDE HDD or CD/DVD drives.

That, if I read you correctly, you "lost' the USB ports while/after flashing is not common. Not common at all. An aberration.
      Are you positive you flashed using the correct BIOS file(s) for your N68C-S UCC, and not that of another board mistakenly?

1. see above
      2. as long as everything is working fine IMO there is no reason
      3. ASRock has on the BIOS download page, and the manual I assume, the proper methods to flash in regards to either the Instant Flash, DOS, or Windows BIOS updating procedure.
      --------------------------

Hi

Thank you for your reply,

all of this is sadly beyond me and even my supplier has gone to suggest things.

at present am getting details of bios together for asrock to try and guide me,I just can't manage this.... I paid for this to be sorted and it still isn't so back to my town me thinks!

I have never flashed any computer bios as I have no idea how to...... it is just too complex for me to deal with in my head, it is like electricity or water! SCARY!!

my USB ports work now, but no card reader works to read sd cards, nothing seen anywhere..... brand new hdd, fresh installation of win 7 ultimate on the same Mobo. It surely shouldn't need anything else??

the mobo detaails or anything else were not touched by me, I only wanted dual system installation with xp pro, and win 7. Xp is only to view MRI scans following surgery on my neck and back.

even windows won't activate with the only proper key that I possess!

I am really cheesed off with all of this.

thank you very much for any advice you can give

regards

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X