Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFast RAM Issue

Hello all

New member here so please be kind. I've just put together my new build, loaded the OS and begun configuring. I installed the included utilities after checking there wasn't newer versions available for download. I looked to configure the XFast RAM but couldn't find it to install. A google search revealed that it was now a part of the AXTU. I hunted through the utility but couldn't find anything related to XFast RAM. Another google search and viewing youtube clips shows that there should be a separate XFast RAM tab within AXTU. Looking on the Asrock site, the latest version of AXTU listed for my mobo is 0.1.252. I then downloaded AXTU 0.1.301 for another Z77 chipset board. It installs fine but the option to select a drive letter and size of the RAM disk is greyed out with the error "XFast RAM Driver may not be ready, please try again later" I've tried installed over the previous version, uninstalling and installing fresh, rebooting to the endth degree but still can't get it to go.

I'm about to contact Asrock support but figured I might try my luck here first to see if anyone has encountered this issue previously and how they got around it or got it working. Before anyone asks, Idid do a search but couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

Details of my build are below. It's basically a clean install with drivers loaded, the incuded utilities loaded and a few misc programs (chrome, email, etc)

Asrock Z77E-ITX
    Intel i5 3570K
    2 x 8GB G-Skill Ares @ 1866MHz
    120GB OCZ Agility 4 SSD
    3TB WD Cavier Red HDD
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC VGA
    XP Pro SP3

Thanks and best regards

Edit: The mobo came shipped with v1.30 BIOS which I updated to v1.80. The issue occurs with both BIOS versions
    Last edited by fmflex; 03-29-2013, 11:12 PM. Reason: Added additional information

Re: XFast RAM Issue

Your board support X-Fast RAM, so it should work. It sounds like you initially used the version of AXTU from the disk supplied with the board. If so, try the version on your board's download page, rather than from another board. It seems each board has its own version of AXTU.

There's no reason I can see why X-Fast RAM should not work on your board, given the correct version. ASRock has a tutorial about it here:

ASRock XFast RAM

Did you get all the necessary drivers loaded, including the Intel Management Engine Software (IME)? If you check Device Manager, are there any yellow '!' symbols anywhere?

Comment

Hi Parsec

Thanks for the reply.

To answer you, the version of AXTU on the Asrock site is the same as the one supplied on the CD. It doesn't matter which version I install from I don't get the Xfast RAM tab.

I've also installed all the available drivers including the IME and currently do not have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

Do you think it could be related to some BIOS setting I have/haven't enabled/disabled?

Thanks and best regards

Comment

I am having exactly the same problem with XP Pro SP3 myself with the driver not working. It does seem to be an atftertought with this motherboard (fatality pro) since it was not bundled with it. Hope it can be solved so I can learn from it as well

Comment

I'm recalling now that someone not to long ago had the same problem, when using XP and 32 bit too. Ironic that it did not work when X-Fast RAM's purpose is to use memory not available under certain circumstances.

There is no BIOS setting associated with X-Fast RAM. Strange that you don't see it as an option in AXTU. I'll try to find that other post, but I don't recall if there was a fix.

EDIT: With AXTU installed, and X-Fast RAM available as an option, I find the following in Programs and Features:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AXTU-XFastRAM.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	753624

Ignore the Restart to UEFI entry, that is another program that is not part of AXTU.

Do you find the AXTU entry, and the XFast RAM program/driver entry, on your PC?
          Last edited by parsec; 03-30-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Parsec

To answer your question, yes I also have the Asrock XFast RAM listed in my Add/Remove programs (I'm running XP).

I got a reply from Asrock TSD today and they sent me a new version of AXTU to try. It is 0.1.345 and still gives me the same issue. I've reported back to them and waiting for their reply.

Thanks and best regards

Comment

Hi All

Just an update on this issue. After weeks of to-ing and fro-ing with Asrock tech support, I had to give up on this. Unfortunately my XP build crashed in a catastrophic way just after I had copied all my data over to it and just prior to taking a ghost backup. Fortunately I'd only lost about 3-4 weeks worth of actual data. The crash was so bad I couldn't even restore it in any way.

In light of this occuring, I made the decision to step up to Win7 and all the issues I had been having with XFastRAM under XP didn't occur.

Cheers

Comment

win7 is the right choice, win7 ultimate version if you can

Comment

Eventually the plan would have been to go to Win7 but if I could get XP working then I'd have stuck with that. I still utilize a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro trackball with is configured with the Mouseworks v6.22 suite which only functioned fully up to XP. I have it currently *******ized to work under Win7 but given the choice would go back to XP due to the fact I'd have all my customized key mappings and macros, etc which don't function correctly if at all in Win7.

I only went Win7 Pro as it's all I required.

Comment

Working...
                  X