Patriot ram issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriot ram issue

my motherboard is AS Rock h55m-le.i both patriot ram chips that should work on 1866 MHZ but from some reason they don't.My ram is still working on 1333 Mhz.How i can fix this one?I can change in bios under "load memory oc ez setting" and i have to chose 1600,1866,200,2400+ but if i chose 1866 is that gonna kill my hardware ?

Bios version is p1.00-15a
    Windows 7 x64

Re: Patriot ram issue

The first thing you should probably do is update your BIOS.

You are currently on the Production Release BIOS, P1.00. I'm not a fan of updating ones BIOS unless there's a specific reason to, but I'm even less a fan of running with a Production Release BIOS when there are updates available.

ASRock > H55M-LE
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

All high speed memory will run at a lower default speed, the user must change the speed in the BIOS to the higher speed. The usual default memory speeds are 1066, 1333, and 1600. That is done by design by the manufacture, for several reasons.

The memory manufacture does not know if the user is smart enough, or even aware in some cases of the speed of the memory they have. I know, who would buy it and not know the speed, but you'd be surprised. Regardless, the default speed is set low so the first time it is put in a PC, and nothing is set in the BIOS, the memory will work. That is a better result than putting it in, and it does not work at all. The manufacture has no idea what mother board or CPU someone will try to use the memory with, so they must choose the safest compromise, set the default speed to a slower, 99% guaranteed to work speed.

If you check the rated memory speed of even the newest CPUs, that have the memory controller in the CPU itself, the highest rated speed is 1600. For example, an i7-2600K and i5-2500K CPU is rated to work with 1066/1333 memory. The latest Ivy Bridge CPUs are rated at 1600. That is the speed Intel guarantees can be used. Most CPUs will do much better than that, but apparently not all will. Given that spec, no memory manufacture would set the default speed higher than 1333 or 1600. They've also learned long ago that setting the default speed above the current CPU specs will just create a mountain of RMA's and unhappy customers.

So set the memory speed manually, or use the XMP profile, if your board has that feature. Your i5-760 CPU (my guess) may not be able to run that memory at 1866, so try 1600 first. Why would that fry your other hardware? Yes, the CPU that you have may share a clock frequency with the memory, so increasing the memory speed is also a CPU OC. If you're afraid it will fry something, why did you buy it? You'll just need to see how it works with the memory set to 1600 or 1866. That may also lead you to learn how to OC your CPU.

Comment

Thank you so much for you replies,i didn't know that my CPU is not support more then 1333 so i was expected that will work on 1866 without OCing. Now im stuck with fast ram that i can't use unless i oc my cpu and to be honest i never did ocing so i'm kinda afraid that i will kill my hardware.Wel thank you so much for the help i will see what i will do in a future,safest way for me is to buy some cpu that will run on 1866 or 2000 MHz,but they are expensive and for the moment it is not in my budget.

Comment

As I said, although the CPUs are rated to work with memory only at 1333 or 1600, they can do better than that. Right now, there are NO Intel CPUs that are rated for memory higher than 1600, so getting a new CPU will not help. Intel is not making new CPUs with the same socket as yours anymore (1156) so the new CPU idea won't work.

You should be safe running your memory at 1600 or 1866, that is not that much of a memory OC. People do that all the time, and think of all the memory available that is 2000 or above, very common.

Comment

ok thanks for advice but now i have a new problem,i did my bios update from version 1.0 to 1.8 version but my pc is crashing now,just randomly freeze and i only can do is to reset it.Under bios i used load bios defaults and nothing else.so what now?

Comment

Get and run MemTest86+.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

It was application based error not bios 0o.i play cod4 but cod4 have some collision with realtek sound drivers so now everything is ok. I set my memory to work on 1866 and my system is stable.there is no errors and crashes.Thank you for your time i real appreciated it allot.

Comment

Working...
                X