How to Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device

Hi, I have the option to Luanch EFI shell from filesystem device in the "Save & Exit" tab of my BIOS screen. When I try and open it I get "Warning not found". I've read that I can copy a binary file to the root of something or other and then this will launch. Ok, so I'm pretty brand new at command prompts etc - but I want to be able to use this facility. I'm assuming I need to mount the ESP partition in order to copy and paste this item. Can somebody explain the steps I need to take and the entries I need to make to to be able to achieve this? I have an Asus N56VM S4089V notebook if that helps. I've been unable to find any instructions anywhere on the web as to how to copy and paste the necessary info to the ESP, just that this is what needs to be done to get it to work (or alternatively, use a USB stick formatted to FAT32 with 1 EFI GPT, to which the file is copied and pasted and thus this is used to launch the EFI shell).
    Hoping someone here can enlighten and educate me. If anymore info is needed about my computer/set up let me know.
    Many thanks.

Re: How to Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device

Start with a bog standard FAT32 USB flash drive, doesn't need to be GPT just FAT32 formatted, and copy SHELLX64.EFI to it. Disable secure boot in the BIOS if it is enabled. Once you have it working on the flash drive you can use the shell commands to copy the file to the ESP if you want it there instead.

Comment

Originally posted by µcode View Post
      Start with a bog standard FAT32 USB flash drive, doesn't need to be GPT just FAT32 formatted, and copy SHELLX64.EFI to it. Disable secure boot in the BIOS if it is enabled. Once you have it working on the flash drive you can use the shell commands to copy the file to the ESP if you want it there instead.
      Hi, thanks for your reply, however, I am a complete newbie, so I understand how to format a usb stick, but how exactly do I copy SHELLX64.EFI to it? Are you referring to a binary file that I can download from somewhere (any links?) and do I literally just save it to the usb drive like a normal file? Once I've done this, what is the next step to launch the efi shell from it? Do I just plug it in and boot the computer from the usb device via the bios settings or do I go into bios and then select launch efi shell from filesystem device and it will recognise the usb stick and launch it?
      Finally, where do I find out the shell commands I need to input in order to copy the file to the ESP so that I can launch the firmware directly from the bios settings? I've looked everywhere on the internet and haven't found any info to help me.

Comment

Googling "shellx64.efi" + "download" may help. There are different builds and versions, not all of which will work on your system. Try this one for now http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/edk...Shell_Full.efi, rename the file to "SHELLX64.EFI" and just save it as a normal file to the USB. Connect your USB, go into BIOS setup and select launch efi shell, don't forget to have secure boot disabled and usb enabled.

There's a help command, use it with the -b switch so you can read it before scrolling off the screen. i.e. enter "help -b" without quotes. If you want help on one command then type help and the command i.e. for help with the help command "help help -b".

If you want to copy files from one drive to another check help again. If your SHELLX64.EFI was on fs1: and you want to copy it to fs0: then "cp fs1:\SHELLX64.EFI fs0:"

Comment

Hi,

I am using the same procedure, based on UEFI (Shellx64.efi on a usb key) to flash the bios and firmware of my LSI.
          But when I type the command "sas2flsh.efi -....", I get an error:

InitShellApp: application not started from shell.

I am in the shell as far as I understand (I am a total newbie regarding UEFI), as I can type help -b, or ver and see the output displayed on the screen.

Googling on the error message, I can't find anything helping to figure out how to solve this issue...
          Any idea would be really welcome :/

Thx a lot in adv!

V.

Comment

Originally posted by vletroye View Post
            Hi,

I am using the same procedure, based on UEFI (Shellx64.efi on a usb key) to flash the bios and firmware of my LSI.
            But when I type the command "sas2flsh.efi -....", I get an error:

InitShellApp: application not started from shell.

I am in the shell as far as I understand (I am a total newbie regarding UEFI), as I can type help -b, or ver and see the output displayed on the screen.

Googling on the error message, I can't find anything helping to figure out how to solve this issue...
            Any idea would be really welcome :/

Thx a lot in adv!

V.
            You can start here and try different shells to resolve what you are seeing "InitShellApp: application not started from shell.":
            https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/

These are the most commonly used 1.0, 2.0, and 2.1.
            Links to each:
            1.0: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/...FullShell/X64/
            2.0: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/...UefiShell/X64/
            2.1:
            https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/...UefiShell/X64/
            or
            https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/...UefiShell/X64/

You can type "ver" at the UEFI shell to determine which version you have that is causing the error and try one of the other shells.

Comment

Working...
            X