Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-73PVM-S2H - BIOS freezes after update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-73PVM-S2H - BIOS freezes after update.

Hi!

I'm from Poland so my English can be a little hard to understand.
    Please, do not leave untill You read everything :)
    Thank You.

GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H
    Intel Pentium (S775) & Intel Celeron (S775)
    2GB RAM DDRII 800 GoodRam
    HDD Samsung Barracuda 500GB SataII
    CD-DVD Recorder Samsung SATA.
    PSU Fortron 350WATT.

What is my problem ?
    I have Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard.
    Till yesterday everytime i turned on computer "CMOS Checksum Error" message showed up.
    I decided to update BIOS. Using Q-Flash, ofcourse.

After update computer rebooted properly.
    I set default settings.
    Windows started okay.
    After second reboot, i had to make after video card driver update (HIS Radeon HD5670), BIOS freezes.

BIOS freezes after it shows name of CPU and BIOS version.
    Nothing more happens.

I tried to change RAM, PSU, Processor, Video Card.
    Nothing happens.
    Still freezes.
    Clearing BIOS with IDE jumper doesn't help.
    Removing battery also.

Is there any other option to get this motherboard work fine ?
    I have a lot of MS OEM Software activated with this motherboard so i'd like to have it back..

SCREENS:

Thank You in advance for every idea.
    Last edited by Szalonykronikarz; 04-11-2013, 10:16 PM. Reason: Screens added..

Re: GA-73PVM-S2H - BIOS freezes after update.

My initial guess would had been that the cmos battery was dead before updating the Bios... but now that you are where you are, if you have another power supply or can borrow one I'd try that as... Flaking power supply can cause what you are seeing.

as for the MS software, as long as you have the installation CD/DVD's and the activation codes, the software is yours and you will be able to activate on any new system you get if need be.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Thank You for Your reply.

Before updating BIOS i changed CMOS battery. I'm not that noob. Error message was still showing up.

I have another PSU - Fortron. I use it with my another computer (Foxconn MOBO, AMD Athlon 64x2) and it works fine.
      But with Gigabyte MOBO nothing changes.
      Do You think this PSU is not enough for thi mobo and CPU ?

I read a few threads about dual bios motherboards but not sure if motherboard i have has dual-bios.
      Gigabyte website says it has but when i look at it i don't see anything like second bios.
      Every motherboard with dual-bios has second bios chip near first one.
      Motherboard i have seems to have only one.

As well i know Microsoft OEM products are legal only with hardware used during activation.
      I hope i'm wrong but i think i'm not. Once activated can't be used with other hardware. Specially with other mobo.

EDIT:

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Don't have time to try find solution.
      Time to buy a new computer.

Thank You All For Your Help :)

You can close this thread now.
      Last edited by Szalonykronikarz; 04-13-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I have the same symptom, but no checksum error message, and BIOS F8 used for months.
        If I press Del on boot, BIOS freezes after showing Prepare to enter setup.
        In fact the MB is dead and all is fine after installing a new MB (not a Gigabyte of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Szalonykronikarz View Post
          Thank You for Your reply.

Before updating BIOS i changed CMOS battery. I'm not that noob. Error message was still showing up.

I have another PSU - Fortron. I use it with my another computer (Foxconn MOBO, AMD Athlon 64x2) and it works fine.
          But with Gigabyte MOBO nothing changes.
          Do You think this PSU is not enough for thi mobo and CPU ?

I read a few threads about dual bios motherboards but not sure if motherboard i have has dual-bios.
          Gigabyte website says it has but when i look at it i don't see anything like second bios.
          Every motherboard with dual-bios has second bios chip near first one.
          Motherboard i have seems to have only one.

As well i know Microsoft OEM products are legal only with hardware used during activation.
          I hope i'm wrong but i think i'm not. Once activated can't be used with other hardware. Specially with other mobo.

EDIT:

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Don't have time to try find solution.
          Time to buy a new computer.

Thank You All For Your Help :)

You can close this thread now.
          Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this when you replied, I have to apologize for that. I can't comment on the power supply as you didn't list out the entire parts list including the wattage of the power supply.

as for the windows activation, if you bought an OEM box like a Dell, HP... as per the EULA that license is only for that box.... but if you toss the box and that license is no longer used it would work to activate a new box.

also if you bought the license yourself, then again that install would work fine and activate fine as long as you are not duplicating the installation (using the same license on 2 systems) if you bought the windows disk then that one license is yours to use on 1 system.

here is a little food for thought;

- Windows XP, each license key will activate a total of 5 times online before you have to phone in to MS to manually activate it.
          - Windows Vista/7, each license key will activate a total of 10 times online before you have to phone in to MS to manually activate it.
          - Office XP/2003, each license key will activate a total of 2 times online before you have to phone in to MS to manually activate it.
          - Office 2007/2010, each license key will activate a total of 10 times online before you have to phone in to MS to manually activate it.

I had a Microsoft Action Pack Subscription and this is how it worked.

Something I just ran in to, My Windows XP license that I had, was used for 50 activations (I bench and write software so I ate through them after 7 years) will no longer activate, I have to call in every time now. :(

Originally posted by tlam View Post
          I have the same symptom, but no checksum error message, and BIOS F8 used for months.
          If I press Del on boot, BIOS freezes after showing Prepare to enter setup.
          In fact the MB is dead and all is fine after installing a new MB (not a Gigabyte of course)
          That will fix it...

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
          X