X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS rock MB sometimes it starts windows....sometimes not :(

Hi All,

This is for a ASRock fatality X79 Champion motherboard
    So I have windows 8 installed on a Plextor SSD 256GB.
    No other operating systems.
    Had a lot of trouble getting it started in the first place but did some settings in BIOS and got it running.

Problem solved I guess.....if I only was so lucky.
    But no....everytime I start up it is doubtful if it will start right away
    Somehow it has a really hard time loading windows from my SSD.

I disabled my other normal 3TB HD, my dvd rom and USB for boot in the bios.
    But still sometimes I need to re-start multiple times to get it running.

Also when I go back in bios I see that settings have changed again and it wants to start from 3TB HD which has no windows.
    Really getting frustrated with this.

Is somebody who knows what is going on with my config?
    Or what I can do so it always will start flawlessly from my SSD??
    Thanks!

Re: AS rock MB sometimes it starts windows....sometimes not :(

A lot of views but nobody has ever experienced something similar??
    Nobody who has an ASRock MB has a SSD from which Windows runs?

Comment

Which sata port names are each of your drives connected to?
      In the Storage Configuration section which mode did you select before installing windows? IDE? AHCI? Raid?
      What settings are you using in the Boot Option Priorities section?
      Is there an option to save settings and exit before rebooting your system?
      Have you tried physically disconnecting your hard drive and optical drive to see if your system boots normally?
      Do you have any usb drives attached to your system while booting?
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
        Which sata port names are each of your drives connected to?
        In the Storage Configuration section which mode did you select before installing windows? IDE? AHCI? Raid?
        What settings are you using in the Boot Option Priorities section?
        Is there an option to save settings and exit before rebooting your system?
        Have you tried physically disconnecting your hard drive and optical drive to see if your system boots normally?
        Do you have any usb drives attached to your system while booting?
        -The SSD is connected to SATA3 Connector (SATA3_0_1, Red)
        The normal 3 TB HD is connected to SATA3 Connector (SATA3_M0_M1, Red)
        First the DVD rom was on the same but I plugged that one to SATA2 Connector (SATA2_2_3, Black)

-When installing I did not look at that....
        But I read that I should only have the SSD connected so thats what I did.
        And I think default now the setting is AHCI.

-I now only have by Plextor SSD as boot, I disabled everything else in BIOS boot section.

-Yes there is and thats what I did. Save changes and exit.

-Yes when first problems started I also tried once by unplugging the normal HD and the DVD rom from the MB.
        This seemed to work. But day or so later when I booted again problems, after I had again plugged in the normal HD.
        So cannot be that I first have to open up my PC disconnected all but the SSD, boot and then plug everything back....

-Hmmm well actually I have an external usb HD attached to the system.
        Could that be causing the startup problems?

By the way today it started directly ok....yaaayhh :)

Comment

Make sure that your boot ssd is connected to the Intel Sata3_0 top port (#19).
          Page 50 in your motherboard user manual shows the port name labels for each of the sata ports.
          Connect your 3TB hard drive and your optical drive as you had them.

Try this test to see if it helps:
          1. Disconnect your external hard drive before booting.
          2. You can connect the external usb drive after your system has booted into windows.
          Repeat both of these steps for several days every time you boot and report back with the results.
          Booting with an attached external hard drive might slow down the boot process and might be related to your problem.

If there is no improvement, try connecting your 3TB hard drive to the Intel Sata3_1 (bottom) port (#19), disable the Marvell controller and repeat the tests.

If necessary, you can also test with your 3TB hard drive connected to the Sata2_0 port and your optical drive connected to the Sata2_3 port.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

As Prof Jim said, you must use the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports for the best performance and reliability from your SSD. The Marvell ports will not work as well as the Intel ports will. I also suggest changing to a new SATA data cable, and double checking the SATA power connection to the SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
              Make sure that your boot ssd is connected to the Intel Sata3_0 top port (#19).
              Page 50 in your motherboard user manual shows the port name labels for each of the sata ports.
              Connect your 3TB hard drive and your optical drive as you had them.

Try this test to see if it helps:
              1. Disconnect your external hard drive before booting.
              2. You can connect the external usb drive after your system has booted into windows.

Repeat both of these steps for several days every time you boot and report back with the results.
              Booting with an attached external hard drive might slow down the boot process and might be related to your problem.

If there is no improvement, try connecting your 3TB hard drive to the Intel Sata3_1 (bottom) port (#19), disable the Marvell controller and repeat the tests.

If necessary, you can also test with your 3TB hard drive connected to the Sata2_0 port and your optical drive connected to the Sata2_3 port.
              Well ok, for 3 days in a row the PC started just fine and quickly without the external drive being connected.
              So I thought I found my problem.
              However on the 3 day in a row booting up fine I got a windows update restart message...
              As you can already guess.....trouble started all over again.
              Would not boot.
              Had a very hard time even getting into the BIOS via F2.
              Then when I was in looking at the settings which were still ok (not reset or anything) I saved changes and exited.
              But then again it still would not boot.
              I then got it to work again by not pressing F2 but F11 to go directly to the boot options.
              This way has btw never failed me. Everytime when I got into boot sequence with F11 I only had to select my SSD and it booted directly.
              But downside is I have very hard time getting in with F11. And when it does not work straight away you have to reset or restart and try again....

Comment

Is your SSD set as the first boot device in the BIOS?

When you are not able to boot, what does happen?

Comment

Originally posted by therube View Post
                  Is your SSD set as the first boot device in the BIOS?

When you are not able to boot, what does happen?
                  Yep it is. As first one and as only one.
                  Well it not boots it makes a sound if its loading something (fans) but nothing but black screen.
                  I then have to push reset button or hold power button and try all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by rpinxt View Post
                    Yep it is. As first one and as only one.
                    Well it not boots it makes a sound if its loading something (fans) but nothing but black screen.
                    I then have to push reset button or hold power button and try all over again.
                    Well guys...sorry...but this asrock fatality board must be a joke....

2 month further and still the damn thing will not start normally!!

Its a rarity when the asrock board manages to start windows 8 right away.
                    I have to try at least 5 times and then still only am able to get into windows 8 by using the F11 key to tell the damn board that it should boot from the SSD drive.
                    Come on there is only 1 damn drive attached stupif board! How hard can it be to boot from the only damn thing that is attached to you....

Sorry but really fed up with ASRock fatality....damn what a waste of good money that was....

Comment

Working...
                    X