Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5QL-E. Conflict with PCI Slot?

Good day from Greece

I have built a Home Server Computer, based on the Asus P5QL-E Mobo, the Intel Pentium D - 935 Presler, 3.2 GHz CPU, and the WHS (Windows Home Server 1, not the newer Windows Home Server 2011) OS. The system disc is a Western Digital WD5002ABYS - 500GB, Enterprise RE3 Series.

This WHS Computer is housed in a Lian-Li PC-201B case, with two 750W PSUs, an Etasis Gaming and a PCPower & Cooling Silent. The two PSUs were required to drive 19 HDDs in total, necessary to have an ample capacity of data storage.

More hardware on it include an Asus EAH4350 Silent Graphics Card, which remains permanently installed, and two PCI SATA Controllers. The first is a Highpoint RocketRaid 1820A PCI-X, 8-SATA Disc Controller and the other is a Promise Technology SATA300 TX4, PCI 4-SATA Disc Controller. Both are provided with drivers for Windows Server 2003, fully compatible with WHS (WHS core is the same with Windows Server 2003 OS). There are also 2 x 1GB Apacer DDR2, PC2-4300, 533MHz RAM DIMMs, a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive, a Floppy drive and, of course, the bundle of the HDDs.

The first controller (RocketRaid) is installed on the PCI1 slot (the one nearest to the PCI-E slots) and the second controller (Promise) is installed on the PCI3 slot (the outermost slot, near the motherboard end). The RocketRaid controller was firstly installed, when the system was at its building process. It was recognized by the motherboard (it has its own BIOS) and then it was recognized by the OS, after the installation of its drivers. The second controller (Promise) was installed later, after the installation of the OS. It was detected by the OS and the wizard asked for the drivers, which were installed correctly and "seen" by the OS.

So far so good.

What draw my attention, after the installation of the second controller, is that, at start up and before the booting of the OS, I receive an annoying message saying that there is no floppy drive detected. I double checked the cables (both, power and signal) and they are in position and well attached. I wonder if there is a conflict between the PCI3 slot and the floppy drive slot.

How can I check it and - most importantly - how can I resolve the problem?
    Would a changing from PCI1 slot to PCI2 slot do any good?

Thank you in advance.
    -
Working...
X