PC Freezing, Hanging After Running Overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Freezing, Hanging After Running Overnight

At a bit of a loss as to why my PC is freezing, was hoping people here (who overclock) could offer some guidance!

Up to this point, I've been running my i7 2600K at 4.6Ghz (1.38v) OC'd for 2 years. Last night I was running Vegas Pro 11 overnight to render a project, but when I came back the PC shut itself off overnight.

Since then, my normally-functioning PC has been locking up and freezing after 1 hour of any CPU-intensive activity. Gaming, rendering, anything. How the freeze goes is: first my most CPU-intensive program dies (usually a game), then audio programs, then YouTube videos running in the background, then the taskbar, then the mouse. Then I'm forced to hard reset to use the PC again.

Something especially curious since this problem began was my PC would freeze whenever I booted CPU-Z. It 100% froze my PC, freezing it immediately (or BSODing me) and forcing a hard restart, no matter what speed I set my CPU (even non-OC'd). This only went away after I updated my BIOS. The error I got each time was "A clock interrupt was not received by a secondary processor within the allocated time interval." with error codes.

I decided to restore Windows to before the crash to test if it was a faultry driver or registry causing the problems. Didn't fix the issue.

Since updating my BIOS, I can run CPU-Z without issue and run benchmark tests in prime95 at 4.6Ghz again for ~30 minutes with no instability. OCCT shut down my PC during its first test, but ran for 1 hour straight on a 2nd run.

I've updated everything I can think of, and I'm starting to freak out I might've ruined my memory or CPU. Any idea what might be wrong with my PC, or steps I can take to troubleshoot?

Things I have done:
    • Updated the BIOS
    • Installed the most up-to-date non-beta graphics drivers
    • Ran prime95 and OCCT tests at lower overclock speeds (4.4, 4.2)
    • Ran tests at default clock speed (3.4)
    • Re-seated my memory sticks
    • Aired out the PC, heatsink, fans, etc.
    • Re-plugged the power supply connections to every motherboard power connection

Thanks for any guidance. :) Happy to provide logs and memory dumps on request, just let me know what's needed. My PC specs are in my profile.

Re: PC Freezing, Hanging After Running Overnight

Any insight to this? Ran Memtest86+ and no issues, always getting a freeze/unresponsive PC (even when idling on the "Enter Password" Windows login screen) after the PC has been turned on ~60 minutes.

Comment

Re: PC Freezing, Hanging After Running Overnight

If you can try a different power supply, that might be a good start. You should also test the system as barebones as possible, and if you have the ability to swap out bits of hardware to try to isolate the problem, go for it.

Also check the Windows event viewer, see if you got any errors there that might help.

BTW: It is at least theoretically possible that your OC damaged the CPU over time, but you haven't mentioned any temperatures .... nor am I aware of anyone where that has actually happened (though me not being aware doesn't prove anything).

Comment

Working...
      X