USB 3.0 not working on Z87E-ITX Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.0 not working on Z87E-ITX Motherboard

So I just built my new computer and everything works fine except for USB 3.0. My Patriot Supersonic XT Rage 32GB flash drive (the only usb 3.0 device I own currently) is being recognized through the usb 2.0 ports but not the usb 3.0 ones. My usb 2.0 flash drive can be recognized regardless of which USB port I put it in.

I have updated my BIOS to the latest version (1.80) and I've tried disabling legacy usb support in the BIOS. Neither method has worked for me.
    I installed Windows 8 64-bit through a bootable USB drive if that makes any difference.

Does anybody know how I solve this issue?

Re: USB 3.0 not working on Z87E-ITX Motherboard

Dear Sekito,

I tested Silicon Power USB3.0 8GB/32GB drive with BIOS P1.80, the USB3.0 devices can be recognized by USB3.0 ports.

Please refer to below suggestions to try.
    1. Load BIOS default settings.
    2. Before booting system, please plug USB3.0 device to U3 port and press "F11" to boot menu to check if the devices can be recognized.
    3. Try the USB3.0 device to another system to check if the device is fine.
    4. If possible, please try another USB3.0 drive to double check it.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

I tried resetting the BIOS settings and booting with the USB already in the system. The first time I did this, I was actually able to see the device in Windows, all the ports worked. After a reboot, it no longer worked. I would get "USB ... not recognized." And then none of the USB 3.0 slots would work once again. If I pull it from its current slot and insert it into another, it would be just like before, nothing happens, Windows sees nothing.

By the way, in both cases can see the drive in the boot menu. I wasn't able to do that before I reset the BIOS.

Comment

I was able to get it to show in Windows once again by having the USB device in from boot. I opened up USBDeview to check if it's actually in USB 3.0 mode but it was actually running in USB 2.10. If I pull the USB drive out and plug it back it, nothing appears in Windows once again.

Comment

All the USB 3.0 ports on your board are provided by the Intel Z87 chipset. Since you are using Windows 8, you did not need to install a USB 3.0 driver.

Have you checked Device Manager, in the USB controllers section, for the Intel USB 3.0 entry? Does it say the device is working properly?

You said this is a new build and Windows 8 installation. Did you install the basic INF chipset files and drivers from your board's download page?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            All the USB 3.0 ports on your board are provided by the Intel Z87 chipset. Since you are using Windows 8, you did not need to install a USB 3.0 driver.

Have you checked Device Manager, in the USB controllers section, for the Intel USB 3.0 entry? Does it say the device is working properly?

You said this is a new build and Windows 8 installation. Did you install the basic INF chipset files and drivers from your board's download page?

I did install the INF files. I also tried doing it again but it seems to skip the "install" part and go straight to done (probably because it's already there).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	753750

Comment

OK, not sure what is going on.

Are you using the USB 3.0 ports on the board's I/O panel on the back of the PC? Plugging the flash drive directly into the USB 3.0 port on the I/O panel?

If you connect the USB 3.0 flash drive to a USB 2.0 port, you should be able to find it in Device Manager, when you expand the correct entry.

Do you see anything in Device Manager when you put the flash drive in a USB 3.0 port?

Do you have the XFast USB software installed? Not that you must for USB 3.0 to work, just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                OK, not sure what is going on.

Are you using the USB 3.0 ports on the board's I/O panel on the back of the PC? Plugging the flash drive directly into the USB 3.0 port on the I/O panel?

If you connect the USB 3.0 flash drive to a USB 2.0 port, you should be able to find it in Device Manager, when you expand the correct entry.

Do you see anything in Device Manager when you put the flash drive in a USB 3.0 port?

Do you have the XFast USB software installed? Not that you must for USB 3.0 to work, just asking.
                I have tried front and back panel.
                I can fine it in the Device Manager when plugging it into a USB 2.0 port.
                Nothing appears in Device Manager when plugging it into USB 3.0 ports.
                I uninstalled XFast USB because it was annoying (USB 3.0 also didn't work while I had it).

Comment

Are there like older drivers or anything I could try? Not sure where I can find those. If they do exist that is.

Comment

Could the problem somehow be related to this?
                    Haswell has USB 3.0 issues with 14 out of 22 tested USB drives | Hardware.Info United States

But the article above seems to be talking about a completely different issue so right now I'm thinking there's something wrong with my board.

Comment

I have an ASR Z87 board, and have several USB 3.0 flash drives, and they all work fine, recognized, etc. I'm also using Windows 8 with the standard Window USB 3.0 driver installed automatically.

This is a Patriot Supersonic Pulse 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive:

Click image for larger version

Name:	as-ssd Patriot 64GB USB 3.0 MBs 6.28.2013.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	753751

That test is not with XFast USB installed.

Sorry but I must ask, do you have the Intel Management Engine driver ver:9.0.0.1287 software installed? All the chipset features will not be active without it.

Intel does not list a USB 3.0 driver for their own Z87 boards when used with Windows 8. Actually, the Windows 8 USB 3.0 driver is sourced from Intel AFAIK, for use with Intel chipset boards.

Intel does have a USB 3.0 driver for Z87 boards using Windows 7. I'll add the link to it here, but I DO NOT know if it will work correctly, or even install on your PC. Try it at your own risk:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...T-75K&lang=eng

Comment

I have the Intel Management Engine driver installed. The win7 drivers won't install.
                        USB 3.0 still not working.

Comment

Okay so I went ahead and tried to dual boot Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit. Everything was fine straight from the get go, all ports were working (under USB 2.0), checked USBDeview and my usb 3 drive was showing as 2.10. So I went ahead and installed INF and Intel Management Engine. Everything was still readable I believe. Then I installed the Intel USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 7 and I end up in the same situation I'm in for Windows 8.

Comment

I plugged in an ADATA NH03 external HDD and it is showing up in Windows. USBDeview indicates a USB version of 3.00. Sadly I don't have any more USB 3.0 devices on hand to test.

Perhaps it's just poor compatibility between my flash drive and the mobo? If so, is this something that a BIOS update or usb driver update can fix?

Comment

Working...
                            X