Computer Acting up ? Changed soem Hardware, different Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Acting up ? Changed soem Hardware, different Problem

Hello, I have been having a problem with my computer. I was on the web and my screen went black, video card fan went to 100%, I know b/c it sounds like a vacuum cleaner on 100%. I put Nvidia driver 318.20 in before that happened. I had to turn the switch on the PSU off then back on to boot. The computer turned on and gave me 5 beeps. I waited sometime then tried to boot it again. It booted fine. Worked for a wile then went black after a few hours. I turned the PSU off and waited and then booted it again. I rolled the video driver back. Then it happened again after less time, did it all over again and came back on but lasted less time. Till it finely would just give 5 beeps. So I looked around and seen that people ware having the same problem with the Xion 700W AXP-700K14XE PSU. So I got the Cx 750m. Put that in the computer booted fine then 10 mins or so, Black screen and fan up on video card. I then seen Posted to FB, that that 318.20 Driver was messing up cards. So I RMAed it and EVGA sent me another 560 ti fpb card. I put that in and the computer booted fine never went off. Today I took out AVG and was told to restart. I restarted and the screen was just black, no beeps. I turned the PSU off and tuned the power on and black no beeps. I tried the PSU a few more times, same thing. Then I tried it once more and it was black with short beeps that kept going, with pauses in them, faint sounding, not loud. So I took out 3 sticks of ram and tried to boot and just got a black screen no beeps again. I then put the other 3 sticks of ram back in and the computer booted up, with the screen that showed that the system failed to boot a few times and did its thing. Then it booted and has been on since. WTF this computer is driving me crazy! I thought it was fixed! I am thinking my CPU is going bad? I have have it since the end of June of 2012, Brand New. The MB I got new 12/21/2012. I used the Asrock Unlock CPU core only. Also my DVD drive has been opening and closing by it self, if that helps any. Most likely if I put in a SD card in the card reader. TY!!! "All hardware is in profile"
    Last edited by captron421; 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM. Reason: CPU not PSU going Bad

Re: Computer Acting up ? Changed soem Hardware, different Problem

We need detailed information about ALL OF THE HARDWARE in your system.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.

Click on my PC Specs for an example of a detailed hardware list.

We can offer faster and more detailed suggestions when we know the complete details.
    When you list the information in a post, this means that we have to waste time and effort searching for the information.
    Some of us are helping in many threads at the same time, sometimes as many as 20 or more.
    If you don't post your detailed hardware list in the PC Specs section or in your forum signature, it makes it much more difficult for us to post suggestions that relate to your specific hardware setup. The chance of errors is greatly reduced when we can quickly check your hardware list.

The forum is about sharing information and you make it much easier for viewers if they can easily see your hardware list and if the solution might apply to their setup.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I did not save the info, updated and saved, ty.

Comment

Anyone know what is wrong? I restarted the pc today and it will not post again with no beeps, just black screen, lights and fans are all on/running, ty!

Comment

Originally posted by captron421 View Post
          Anyone know what is wrong? I restarted the pc today and it will not post again with no beeps, just black screen, lights and fans are all on/running, ty!
          Well I turn the PC back on, got the post beep, then the failed to boot screen, did its thing and is now running fine. Only happens when I restart the machine. ? Ew! What is the issue? I do not have a debug LCD, should of got a MB with a LCD!

Comment

Can you borrow a different video card to test with?
            Can you test with another power supply?
            Is your cpu, memory or video card overclocked? If yes, what are the O/C settings?
            Have you done any stress testing with Prime95 or other stress testing programs?

If necessary you should be able to buy a bios post card for under $15.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=bios...w=1089&bih=644
            Bios post cards usually use a PCI or PCI-e motherboard slot.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

just got the video card and psu, the other psu was working fine. No I never did any stress testing. The problem is only when I restart the computer. I updated the bios before that. The computer runs fine, just a problem when I restart the computer, but If I shut it down and wait for wile before I turn it on, it boots fine. I was using the UCC program but right now its not turned on. I am thinking of rolling the bios back to 1.6 from flash, usb stick. I never seen them cards before, nice! That is something I would be willing to look into! TY for the reply!
              Last edited by captron421; 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, I can't access your PC Specs so it is hard to try giving any advice. You did fill it out, no? A lot depends on what you have connected and the quality of these.

I suppose you reset at least once the CMOS which cleans the bios of old HW data that was once connected to you mobo. I do it a lot, the reason I use a techbench instead of a case. It is extremely fast and easy to swap stuff and since the standoffs are plastic, I am sure of no "shorts" which can make analysis extremely messy.

If clearing the CMOS does nothing for you, have you tried "breadboarding"--taking the mobo out of the case, placing it on the table and making the system work with the minimum HW possible? Then start adding parts until you bump into the culprit. That is what computer repair shop techs do to get to the problem quickly. For them, time is $$$.

I hope you realize that after all the comments done, I do not know what motherboard you have? Or what proc you have? Or the OS? I suppose it is an Asrock or you wouldn't be here but pls. understand that if not much background of the HW is given and folks have to rip this info bit by bit, getting to the bottom of this will be frustrating and take much more time than necessary.

Comment

Yes its filled out, It shows by my name I have been restarting and the Computer has been booting, drive still likes to open and close on its own tho. Did not do anything, change/add hardware or software. BTW, when I click my Name it does nothing, same w/ yours. The site is broken,lol

asrock 970 Extreme3
                  AMD FX 6200
                  16 GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
                  evga gtx 560 ti FPB 01G-P3-1561-AR
                  WD R4 500 GB 7200 64 mb
                  WD 640 GB
                  Lite On Ihas B
                  Apevia Dreamer W/ LCD
                  Coolermaster Hyper 212 2 Fan
                  Microsoft Ku-1079
                  Microsoft 3000
                  Corsair CX 750m
                  47 LG50-u Threw Denon AVR 791
                  Windows 7 64 Ultimate
                  Last edited by captron421; 08-01-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Ok, looks good, specially the PSU, kudos. Have you tried the rest I suggested? Of course once you get back home where I suppose your rig is. Let us know.

Yeah, the site is acting up. Also can't PM. Anybody seeing this?

P.D. Have a new mobo battery on hand (CR2032). Mine came discharged and gave up after a couple of weeks when new, with all kinds of wonkiness--till I checked it with my voltmeter.
                    Last edited by Papang; 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I shut the computer complexity down, was keeping me awake,lol. Then I go and fire it up, just black screen, Keyboard and controller did not light up. So I turn it off by the PSU a few times, still black. So pulled the CMOS battery for a few and put back in and hooked it back up and booted, but I do not get splash screen or a beep. Could the battery really be weak this young?

Comment

I always have at least one as a spare and yes it happens. They are so cheap it is worth having one on hand to not have to get up Sunday morning just to buy one. They only last a year, year and a half with a decent charge, after that, the bios should advise you that the battery is low, but not always, especially if something more critical is acting up. It is part of having the famous "known good spare part or component" so important for troubleshooting.

If still wonky, really the last resort is "breadboarding" your mobo to cut to the chase. Even a good PSU could be at fault, the reason I saved my last PSU just because it is "a known good component" (a Cooler Master). If you don't have one, maybe a friend can lend one or take your system to him to try his PSU on your system. Always a plus to have someone who has a stock of good stuff to test your system, without having to get to a tech repair shop. I got fed of them after a half dozen "charges for service". I remember being charged like $100 usd for a "memory controller repair". I didn't know back then that they were soldered to the mobo (so nothing to repair). So he most probably reseated ram and was done in 2 minutes. Not bad for a "days work". Returning something still good is soooo lame.

Most problems boil down to 1) mobo and 2) PSU and 3) hard drive, in that order of frequency. Very rarely is it the cpu and ram or even video cards, but if it were, boy that is really bad luck and of course a very long process to get at. Sometimes it is a usb connection but also very rare.

Of course I am supposing it is not malware in your HDD/SSD which will hobble your OS, thus all the weirdness. For those type of problems, I have an old SATA I hdd as a "know good component" pre-loaded with a clone of my OS. Nowadays there are free options for cloning OSs and it is so fast. If I do get a buggy hdd (once) or a bad case of malware (it has been ages), the remedy is close at hand. In no tech but up to now, I have remedied most problems in a weekend and the last system I breadboarded, stayed that way for half a year--it was running so smooth.... That was until my wife made me stuff all back into the case cuz it was taking up half the dining room table. Oh, one of my four ram slots got damaged from an OC so it was my fault.

Comment

Thanx for the info! I run the anti malware program at least once a week. I will look into a battery and getting a LCD for the bios.

Comment

Working...
                          X