Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

I am looking for the smallest ATX chassis. It should hold at minimum 1-2 disks, a decent gaming graphics card and silent cpu cooler. The thing is, I dont want huge ATX chassis anymore. The trend goes towards smaller chassis.

I looked at the PC-V650 but it is discontinued. It would have been perfect if it had cable management behind the motherboard, it is ok if the chassis is slightly wider to get cable management, that is a good trade off. There are some minor flaws, if you read newegg reviews:
    LIAN LI PC-V650B Black Aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
    "The mounting of the mobo is incorrect and located it the wrong place you can not use air cooling except oem cooling. Any good cooler will hit the psu. The mobo has a cut out for the cpu cooling solution but it is in the wrong place and the mounting will not allow you to get to the mounting holes. Tried to send Lian Li pictures of what is wrong but the e-mail they sent me will not work. There is a lot of wasted space in here, they could have made this a nice little cube if they wanted."

"The mother board is mounted in the wrong position, it needs to be 1/2" higher up in the chassis. The cut out for the cpu is 1" too far back in the chassis. These mistakes makes it not possible to use a good cpu cooler, you have to take the mobo out all the time because the cpu cut out covers the mounting holes on one side of the mounting. For what you pay for this thing you would think they could make it workable and correct. Now newegg needs to take back my new HE01 cooler. Realy dissapointing. Where is the quality control on this product."

Will Lian Li release a upgraded version of PC-V650 soon? Or plans on a small ATX case? I am going to build a small and silent Supermicro Xeon workstation very soon.

Re: Smallest ATX chassi? PC-V650?

Another thing, many people are using a PC stand so the PC hangs under the table. The PC is mounted just under the table like this:
    http://www.dustinhome.se/image/917172

So, I can not buy chassis where the USB connections are on the top, on the roof. Please consider this when you design new chassis?

PS. I dont post on the other forum extremetech, because it cost money to register there.

Comment

PS. the PC-V650 is a really sexy chassis, if you just fixed the minor flaws (cable management, move the mobo to align better), it would be a real killer for those who want the smallest ATX case.

Comment

I must say I am slightly confused by your previous post's. Are you looking for a chassis? or did you already purchase the PC-V650 from Lian Li and are now unhappy with it?

Comment

I am looking for the smallest ATX chassis. I have looked at the PC-V650 but reviews on newegg says the PC-V650 has some flaws. The PC-V650 has also been discontinued, but can still be found at some vendors.

Is Lian Li going to fix those flaws and release an upgraded version of PC-V650? If not, will Lian Li release soon small ATX chassis? Would be great if I knew so I can plan my workstation Xeon Supermicro.

Was this clearer?

Comment

Thank you for the reply, I have no knowledge if Lian li will update their chassis or not but there are other options. Look at the PC-a05fnb or cooler master elite 360 even the PC-a55b.

Comment

Hey Brutalizer,

The PC-V650 is near end of production, so it will unlikely be restocked by Newegg. As for plans to update the V650, there is nothing in the works now.

If you are looking for a smaller ATX case that is currently available on Newegg, I would recommend the PC-A05FNB. The PC-A55 is also a small ATX case, but it is currently out of stock. BTW, a lot of times when Newegg says "discontinued", it just means out of stock. :)

I do agree with you on the trend for smaller and smaller chassis. While full towers are awesome to have and easy to work with, for mainstream use they are not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian Li Tech View Post
                Hey Brutalizer,

The PC-V650 is near end of production, so it will unlikely be restocked by Newegg. As for plans to update the V650, there is nothing in the works now.

If you are looking for a smaller ATX case that is currently available on Newegg, I would recommend the PC-A05FNB. The PC-A55 is also a small ATX case, but it is currently out of stock. BTW, a lot of times when Newegg says "discontinued", it just means out of stock. :)

I do agree with you on the trend for smaller and smaller chassis. While full towers are awesome to have and easy to work with, for mainstream use they are not necessary.
                Do you have plans to release another small ATX case soon? I can still buy a PC-V650, they are still available at some places. The PC-V650 is smaller than the PC-A05FNB, so I might buy the V650 instead. The V650 could be the ultimate small case, if the flaws where corrected. Best in class, it could be.

Comment

There will not be a smallish ATX case coming out soon. It does seem like you have your heart set on the V650, so if that is what you are feeling go for it.

Im curious though. Since you are looking for a small case, why not go for M-ATX or M-ITX?

Comment

There will not be a smallish ATX case coming out soon. It does seem like you have your heart set on the V650, so if that is what you are feeling go for it.

Im curious though. Since you are looking for a small case, why not go for M-ATX or M-ITX?
                    I want a full sized ATX mobo, because smaller form factors lack in functionality (PCIe slots, etc). I am going for a small Supermicro Xeon ECC workstation build. To it I will connect a 16-24 disk DAS with a sff-8088 cable whenever I need storage. Later I might want to expand with more cards, like the Xeon Phi compute node or so. A small mobo might not have all slots that I need.

The V650 could be the perfect case, if it had better cable manegement and the mobo moved up a bit. That is why I am slightly hesitant. The cpu cooler is a concern because it will easily hit the PSU, because the mobo needs to move a bit. I need to find a good cpu cooler and dito PSU combo that will power a Haswell Xeon. Do you happen to know such a combo?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler.Bernath View Post
                      Thank you for the reply, I have no knowledge if Lian li will update their chassis or not but there are other options. Look at the... PC-a55b.
                      Dang! The PC-A55B would be nice, but it has the USB connections on the top. As I wrote earlier:

"Another thing, many people are using a PC stand so the PC hangs under the table. The PC is mounted just under the table like this:"
                      http://www.dustinhome.se/image/917172

So I can not use the PC-A55B. Lian Li, can you please consider this when you design new cases in the future? Put the connections on the front, not on top? I worked at large Fortune 500 companies, and many of the PCs are hanging down under the table, so that rules the PC-A55B out. Sure, Fortune 500 companies will not buy DIY PCs, but still. That can be an issue.

Comment

You can just as easily purchase a bay device that will put USB ports on the front.

Comment

You could go with an 140mm AIO liquid cooling kit, ex. Corsair H90.

Comment

You could go with an 140mm AIO liquid cooling kit, ex. Corsair H90.
                            Hmm... Reviews says it is a good cooler. Would it work with a E3 Xeon Haswell?

Actually, I thought of postponing my buy, and waiting for a small ATX case, just like the PC-V650 where the flaws are fixed. Main problem is the cpu cooler hitting the PSU. But now when I read about the H90, it seems to be a small cooler, and it will not hit the PSU, right? Ok, the question now is if it works with Xeon Haswell? If it does, I might go for a V650. Hmmm...

PS. Thanks for the tips! I have never considered water cooler. Is water cooler difficult to install, does it require much maintenance (fill up new water every week, wipe the mobo dry every week, etc)?

PPS. Do you know of any other small cpu coolers that would fit a LGA1150 and PC-V650? Even water based? So I can choose.
                            Last edited by brutalizer; 08-23-2013, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Check into downdraft air coolers instead of tower type upright coolers.
                              For example: Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"! - NH-C14, NH-C12P SE14 or NH-L12
                              Noctua provides detailed size specs in each models' datasheet.
                              Motherboard compatibility is listed for most or all of the models.

Several other manufactures offer downdraft coolers.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X