Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock X79 Extreme6 Getting Blue Screens

Hello everyone,
    I've been helping my friend try to figure out a problem (getting bsod very often) from his recent build. The blue screens have been happening not just while working in Windows but it has even happened a couple times during W7 installation.
    At first it seemed to be just while transferring data to/from the drives but after using each drive individually I'm not so sure the drives are the issue.

Things we have tried:
    1. memtest86- no errors after about 8 passes(over 24 hours)
    2. Booting into safe mode (making sure that it's not a video or other peripheral driver causing the issue.)
    3. Install and use Windows on the 2 different drives(disconnecting the other while in use.)
    4. Was thinking it could be the motherboard so the mobo has been RMA'd and replaced with a new one(exact same model)
    In each of the instances above the blue screens would still happen.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme 130.0 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Currently using a temporary Nvidia gtx (I forget the exact card model but I can find out if need be.)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I'm really stumped as to what it would be, because I don't believe it's a software issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: AsRock X79 Extreme6 Getting Blue Screens

Do you have a separate drive to try a fresh installation of the OS using a different SATA channel and SATA cable? Or perhaps run a live CD of some flavor to see if it's OS, controller or channel related?

Comment

I assume your Samsung 840 Pro is your OS drive? Check that you have it connected to one of the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports, not the ASMedia SATA ports. The two gray SATA ports just above the four black Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports, are the two Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports. The Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports are both faster and more stable than the ASMedia ports.

Did you happen to update the board's BIOS to 2.40 or 2.50? I'm NOT saying you should, those versions are for the new IVB-E processors, and must be done carefully. Even if done correctly there is some uncertainly whether or not SB-E processors can still be used on the boards with the IVB-E compatible BIOS.

Your board's BIOS version from the factory is printed on a sticker on the CMOS/BIOS chip, near where the debug LED display is located.

Any BSOD codes stored in Windows logs?

Comment

Download and run Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer freeware and post the report results for the most recent BSODs. Documentation and related information is at the bottom of the web page.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          I assume your Samsung 840 Pro is your OS drive? Check that you have it connected to one of the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports, not the ASMedia SATA ports. The two gray SATA ports just above the four black Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports, are the two Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports. The Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports are both faster and more stable than the ASMedia ports.

Did you happen to update the board's BIOS to 2.40 or 2.50? I'm NOT saying you should, those versions are for the new IVB-E processors, and must be done carefully. Even if done correctly there is some uncertainly whether or not SB-E processors can still be used on the boards with the IVB-E compatible BIOS.

Your board's BIOS version from the factory is printed on a sticker on the CMOS/BIOS chip, near where the debug LED display is located.

Any BSOD codes stored in Windows logs?
          Yes the Samsung 840 pro is the OS drive, I will double check that it's connected to the 6Gb/s ports.
          I have not updated the board BIOS to 2.50. But I will double check the version number.
          And I'll post the codes BSOD codes here in a few minutes.
          Thank you for the help.

Comment

I tried installing Whocrashed and eventually got a bluescreen but after I restart the computer it would give out an error not allowing me to open up whocrashed, unless I reinstalled the program. I will look into this error later on.

I looked at the version of the bios on the mobo and it says: "x79 EXTREMEE6 P2.40-15B" (I have not updated it that's how it came when I received the new board from the RMA)
            Next, I double checked to make sure that the drives were connected to the 6Gb/s SATA connectors and I also changed out the SATA cables just to make sure that it had nothing to do with the cables. Using Windows 7 x64 as previously installed a bluescreen still came up.

I then tried Ubuntu OS using a usb liveboot but it then I got a (linux) bluescreen

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Both OS's BSODing tends to indicate a hardware issue, as you originally said.

A slight backup from that statement, at what point does the BSOD occur during the Windows installation, if you can recall? Early on? When the files are actually being installed, after the choose the target drive stage?

We haven't asked about system temperatures at all, which is first on the hardware agenda. That board's BIOS/UEFI has a HW Monitoring screen with component temperatures displayed, hopefully including the X79 chipset, which has a fan for cooling and runs warm like most Intel chipsets.

Start the PC and go into the BIOS/UEFI interface, and the HW Monitoring screen. What are the various temps? Sit back and see what they do over time, like ten minutes or more. While you're there, check the fan speed settings and fan speeds. The Define R4's case fans are controlled by the case's own fan controller, if used, so what setting is it on, low, medium, or high? Speaking of which, does the case just have the stock fans, or any others added?

The R4 is a nice case, but is meant to be a quiet case rather than a super-cooling case (I own one.) With a hot running CPU like the one being used, and a (mystery) video card which adds heat, proper ventilation is required.

Comment

Yeah,
                The BSOD tends to happen early on after the target drive is selected and once it starts saying "Expanding Windows Files" etc (Within the first 2 steps of when windows is installing to the drive.) But again it doesn't always BSOD during installation since I have gotten Windows installed multiple times.

I will double check the temps over time when I get a chance to work on it tomorrow. I remember when I first turned it on I checked the temps (I think about 50 deg C), but haven't really looked at it since.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you updated.
                Last edited by DrgKorki; 09-28-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,
                  Thank you for all the help but I've finally diagnosed the problem!!

I switched out the RAM with some extra that I had and the BSOD is gone. I was testing the computer and using it for about 4 hours and all seems well.
                  When I put the original RAM back in it instantly Blue screened.
                  I'm very baffled that there are no errors from running memtest86 3 seperate times.

Also, tested the RAM from the build in my own computer and my computer runs it fine.

This is all very weird because the RAM is compatible with the motherboard so I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the build.
                  Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by DrgKorki View Post
                    Hi guys,
                    Thank you for all the help but I've finally diagnosed the problem!!

I switched out the RAM with some extra that I had and the BSOD is gone. I was testing the computer and using it for about 4 hours and all seems well.
                    When I put the original RAM back in it instantly Blue screened.
                    I'm very baffled that there are no errors from running memtest86 3 seperate times.

Also, tested the RAM from the build in my own computer and my computer runs it fine.

This is all very weird because the RAM is compatible with the motherboard so I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the build.
                    Thanks again!
                    Was just gonna post, and ask what is still in the computer that has not changed. But you beat me to it, make sure the memory is on the board list in the owners manual. Bios updates sometimes add more memory so see if anything is there, also should only use two sticks till you get it figured out cause four sticks requires a voltage adjustment to run properly. And if the board defaults the memory then that might have been yer cause. Glade YOU fixed it!!! Come back and teach us some tricks!
                    MSI X-99SLI
                    Intel 5930K WATER
                    EVGA Nilla 1080
                    POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Originally posted by jaggerwild View Post
                      Was just gonna post, and ask what is still in the computer that has not changed. But you beat me to it, make sure the memory is on the board list in the owners manual. Bios updates sometimes add more memory so see if anything is there, also should only use two sticks till you get it figured out cause four sticks requires a voltage adjustment to run properly. And if the board defaults the memory then that might have been yer cause. Glade YOU fixed it!!! Come back and teach us some tricks!
                      I'll have to double check but I believe I used only 2 sticks at some point earlier (8 gigs) and it still gave me a BSOD. Perhaps I still need to change the voltage? I did not yet try that. I would think the board would automatically recognize it though.
                      Assuming that it still won't work - either my friend will have to buy new RAM since it's past the 30 day return policy or try and sell it perhaps. Not sure about this yet.
                      But still good news that it's only the RAM and nothing more expensive.
                      But again I need to test the bios settings more in depth before I give call it a day.

Comment

Not all board will default the memory Vcore correctly, my Asus for what ever reason will add the default voltage 1.6 but then sets the memory to 1600. The V1.6 is for a speed of 2133, so i have to lower it to 1.5 manually, not sure why but maybe it will help you. But if the memory is not on the motherboard list then, does it have the latest Bios? It might help the board with different memory, check the Bios update they usually put why they added it.
                        MSI X-99SLI
                        Intel 5930K WATER
                        EVGA Nilla 1080
                        POWER!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

I did this> :) Default RMA discussion banned

Comment

Working...
                        X