ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 + FX8150 will not boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 + FX8150 will not boot

Let me preface this by saying had an ASUS 990fx Sabretooth for less than a year before it died. 3 months later and 3 RMAs later I just went out and bought an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 at the recommendation of several people I know and another website.

This motherboard booted no problem with my neighbor's 4 core processor, but now that I got my FX8150 back from RMA (new in box replacement) it will not even reach the point of posting. Motherboard obviously is fine, Power Supply is new as well, and so is the CPU. Any ideas what may be happening?

BIOS version is default 1.50

Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 + FX8150 will not boot

It's probably a problem with the ram, certain cpu's are picky as you may know, but wait for clever answers

Comment

Ram can't be the issue here. I'm not reaching post with an FX8150, but I fully boot into my OS with my neighbor's 4 core.

Comment

By some silly reason you didn't forget to connect the 8-pin ATX12V1 from the PSU to the MB did you?

Also, any chance you can give us a breakdown of the parts used in your build?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          By some silly reason you didn't forget to connect the 8-pin ATX12V1 from the PSU to the MB did you?

Also, any chance you can give us a breakdown of the parts used in your build?
          I am 100% positive all the cables and power cords are connected properly to the board.

Parts:

AMD FX8150
          ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
          2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
          Radeon HD7770 1GB (HiS)
          OEM DVD burner SATA
          Seagate 2TB (forget the exact model name) SATA

Everything worked fine for almost a year when on my birthday in July my system decided it was going to stop posting. RAM was tested in another machine and its fine (also worked on this machine as well). ASUS blamed the CPU, so I RMA'd the CPU. That didn't work so they told me to RMA the board (which I did). That didn;t work and they blamed the power supply, an RMA'd that. All that failed and ASUS then said it was an outdated BIOS and sent me a BIOS chip. That also did not work. At that point I bought the ASRock mobo and it wouldn;t boot. Used a borrowed 4core AMD and it booted up fine. RMA'd the CPU once more and got another new in box one back. And that's where we are at.

I will also point out that we're not even reaching the point in which it is POSTing and failing. That leaves CPU, MOBO and Power Supply in question. But seeing as I replaced all of them and it boots with another CPU (older one) it makes me wonder if the BIOS is incapable of supporting the CPU?

Comment

i suppose it's a good power supply you have, somewhere around 600 watts with good amperage, am i right ?

Comment

Originally posted by themaster1 View Post
              i suppose it's a good power supply you have, somewhere around 600 watts with good amperage, am i right ?
              Yes. I forget the brand but its a 600W Silver Certified power supply.

Comment

Update:

I solved the problem, but it shouldn't be happening. Hopefully their support reads this and updates their FAQ accordingly.

Got an older processor (a 4 core), booted up fine. Flashed the BIOS to the newest version, put mine back in, and it works.

Comment

That's odd. The FX-8150 is supported by ALL bios's on the 990FX Extreme3.

ASRock > 990FX Extreme3 > CPU Support List
                  #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                  ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

That's what they claim, but I can tell you for a fact that my FX8150 would not work until I flashed the BIOS to the newest version. So they should maybe do some more testing internally on 1.5 and earlier BIOS and verify. And when they find its the same issue that I had make a change to their supported CPU list accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X