No announcement yet.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Drivers for Windows 8.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Drivers for Windows 8.1?

So 8.1 went live a couple of days ago, is ASRock planning on updating their driver page for this board with the new drivers for 8.1?

Thanks.

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - Drivers for Windows 8.1?

You must mean, when will the MFG of the hardware, update their hardware and list it as 8.1.

Can you post what hardware was not seen by win 8.1 ???? What is not working, the asmedia controller, usb, lan hardware, VGA ????

As for your chipset, there is no update, and actually running the intel chipset driver is worthless, it's not a driver, and there is ZERO difference then the INF that the OS installs from the intel chipset install setup.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

^+^ What odie said is right on, true, and a fact, Jack!

You could say what about ASRock's utility programs, which aren't drivers... well, the XFast RAM and XFastUSB are pretty much drivers. Plus AXTU, Formula Drive, or A-Tuning are purely ASRock programs. But if they work in Windows 8, they quite likely will in 8.1. So far, AXTU and A-Tuning work fine in 8.1 for me.

OTOH, I can see what SlackerITGuy is saying, the ASR Z87 EX 4 board has a separate listing for 8.1, while the Z77 EX 4 does not. A quick check of ASR's X77 boards shows no drivers listed for Windows 8.1.

A quick comparison of the Z77 EX 4's Win 8 64bit downloads to the Z87 EX 4's show few differences, and those are related to the different chipsets. Personally, I don't depend on the mobo manufacture to provide the latest drivers for me. If I did, I'd still be using the Intel Matrix Storage driver on my Asus X58 board, among others.

The ASMedia SATA driver has never worked for me very well or at all in Windows 8, but I think that is because I am UEFI booting, and I'm guessing the correct option ROM is missing from the UEFI/BIOS.

We can't blame a mobo manufacture for not providing new drivers if they don't exist. We can (and I do) blame them to a degree when new ones exist but is not on a board's download page. New does not always mean better or not broken, and a manufacture can always say they have not tested/verified them yet.

I would like to add to Odie's statement, that new drivers are not always or automatically better. Plus define what better is. For example, the overall fastest IRST driver is version... 11.2, the latest version is 12.8, with many between the two. Let's see, IRST 11.6 had many issues, or was that 11.5? IRST 12.6 was removed by Intel from their official download page, weeks after it was released, since it was buggy with RAID and Windows 8. OTOH, people using 12.6 in AHCI mode on Windows 7 said it was very fast, and I agree.

Some driver installation programs handle multiple versions of an OS, some Intel driver installation programs cover XP to Windows 7.

I just went to 8.1 on my Z77 EX 4 board, and I had to change... nothing. Had to change is the key phrase there, as I did see a couple (or I could swear I did...) driver changes, actually to an earlier version in one case. But the driver that was in place worked fine.

A new Win 8.1 driver that ASRock did not have for download for my Z87 board seemed to break a feature I was using. I figured out that the configuration settings that were "missing" were moved to another place if the default installation settings were used. That's a perfect example of why installing a new driver is not a close your eyes and all will be fine kind of thing.

Comment

parsec,
        Which RST are you using with your board? I only use the achi drivers and not the complete set-up. Latest listed on Asrock is 11.7.0.1013
        Thanks
        GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
        i7-4790K
        Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
        Asus GTX 970 Strix
        Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Ocz Vector 150 240GB Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
        Fractal Design R4
        Noctua NH-U14S
        SeaSonic 660XP2
        Creative Extreme Music
        U2412M
        Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kpo6969 View Post
          parsec,
          Which RST are you using with your board? I only use the achi drivers and not the complete set-up. Latest listed on Asrock is 11.7.0.1013
          Thanks

I'm using IRST 12.8 now, since it is the only one Intel lists as Win 8.1 compatible. A link if you need it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers

I use that on my ASR Z77 board and Z87 board. Only been a week or less since I updated to 8.1 from 8, but I haven't seen any problems.

I had IRST 12.5 installed on my Z77 board's Win 8 installation, and the update to 8.1 worked fine. Win 8.1 itself worked fine for a day with 12.5, until I changed to 12.8.

I should say I currently have no RAID arrays on the Z77 board PC, but I am in RAID mode, and the RAID array creation software seemed to work, but I stopped short of creating a RAID volume.

IMO, 12.5 or 12.8 should be fine on Z77 boards with Win 8.1 in AHCI or RAID mode. ASRock has not added driver listings for Win 8.1 for the Z77 EX 4 board yet, among others. IMO, that is not an issue.

Intel's current official IRST versions they offer for download are: 12.8, 12.5, 12.0, and 11.7. All are compatible with Win 8, but only 12.8 is compatible with 8.1, officially that is.

Comment

Thanks
            GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
            i7-4790K
            Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
            Asus GTX 970 Strix
            Fractal Design R4
            Noctua NH-U14S
            SeaSonic 660XP2
            Creative Extreme Music
            U2412M
            Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kpo6969 View Post
              Thanks
              12.8 with windows 8.1, ROLOL thinking the kernel has changed where every driver needs to be win 8.1 is hilarious, and only using the AHCI. Funnier, you didn't even check to see the new
              AHCI win driver. I bet the OROM needs to be for 8.1 when in raid. ROLOL

I can't stop laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
                12.8 with windows 8.1, ROLOL thinking the kernel has changed where every driver needs to be win 8.1 is hilarious, and only using the AHCI. Funnier, you didn't even check to see the new
                AHCI win driver. I bet the OROM needs to be for 8.1 when in raid. ROLOL

I can't stop laughing.

8.1 drivers are now posted on asrock support page
                chipset
                RST
                ACHI
                IME

a few more also

I suppose 6.2 to 6.3 is somewhat of a difference.
                Last edited by kpo6969; 10-25-2013, 03:59 AM.
                GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
                i7-4790K
                Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
                Asus GTX 970 Strix
                Fractal Design R4
                Noctua NH-U14S
                SeaSonic 660XP2
                Creative Extreme Music
                U2412M
                Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Realtek- 6.0

Lan- 16.2

IME- 9.5

Smart- 4.4

Pre install RST- 12.8

RST- 12.8

Chip- 9.4

VGA- 15.33

Maybe that's why the 8 drivers didn't work, you had the wrong mobo download. There is no 6.2 6.3.

Just in case you forgot the 1 on the lan, the 8 is also 16.2.

Comment

ROLOL thinking the kernel has changed where every driver needs to be win 8.1 is hilarious
                    Windows Kernel
                    Win 8.1 = 6.3
                    Win 8 = 6.2
                    Win 7 = 6.1
                    Win Vista = 6.0
                    GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
                    i7-4790K
                    Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
                    Asus GTX 970 Strix
                    Fractal Design R4
                    Noctua NH-U14S
                    SeaSonic 660XP2
                    Creative Extreme Music
                    U2412M
                    Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X