Asmedia SATA Drivers Win 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asmedia SATA Drivers Win 8.1

I have done a clean install of Win 8.1 on my Z87 Extreme6 MB. I notice there aren't any Asmedia SATA 3 drivers for Win 8.1 64 bit. on the Asrock website. On contacting Asrock Support with the question
    "The Asmedia drivers for Win 8.1 64 bit.are not available on the download site for the Z87 Extreme6 MB. Please advise as to when they will be available."

I received the following answer from them." Windows 8 / 8.1 already contain SATA3 chip driver.There's no need to install additional SATA3 driver.Please free to use Windows 8 / 8.1 inbox driver for the chip."

When I try to install the Win 8 version I get a log file error.Click image for larger version

Name:	AsmediaInstall.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	756233
    Last edited by CaneMan; 10-28-2013, 06:24 AM.

Re: Asmedia SATA Drivers Win 8.1

ASRock is suggesting that you use the native (built in) AHCI driver provided with Windows 8 and 8.1, called storahci.

If the ASMedia SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS, and the ASMedia driver is not installed, Windows 8 will install the storahci driver automatically. It can also be installed manually in Device Manager with a manual driver update.

I've used Windows 8 for a while on the same board, and the ASMedia driver does not work very well IMO. The Windows storahci driver should be fine with the ASMedia chipset.

I hope you are using the Intel SATA ports before using the ASMedia's, since the Intel ports provide better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      ASRock is suggesting that you use the native (built in) AHCI driver provided with Windows 8 and 8.1, called storahci.

If the ASMedia SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS, and the ASMedia driver is not installed, Windows 8 will install the storahci driver automatically. It can also be installed manually in Device Manager with a manual driver update.

I've used Windows 8 for a while on the same board, and the ASMedia driver does not work very well IMO. The Windows storahci driver should be fine with the ASMedia chipset.

I hope you are using the Intel SATA ports before using the ASMedia's, since the Intel ports provide better performance.
      Thanks for the reply. I definitely use the Intel ports for all my drives, except for a external drive which has eSATA or USB 3. I am trying to determine which is faster USB 3 or the eSATA Asmedia port. That's why I was wondering about the driver.

Comment

I see, that's a good question. In theory the eSATA connection should be faster than the USB 3.0 for many reasons, but some users here have reported problems when using their ASRock board's eSATA connection. Have you been able to use your eSATA port at all yet with Windows 8.1?

I have seen very good performance from USB 3.0, relative to its limitations compared to a SATA connection. This benchmark is an older Intel SATA II SSD in a portable USB 3.0 drive case:

Click image for larger version

Name:	as-ssd INTEL X25M G2 80GB USB3.0 MBs 8.15.2012.png
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	753975

This SSD is spec'd at 250MB/s read and 80MB/s write speed (sequential), and is not very far off those specs on a USB 3.0 connection. USB 3.0 does not support NCQ that SATA drives can use, but that does not matter if you are copying one file at a time to the drive in the USB case. Multiple smaller file copies or backing up your OS drive, etc, should be faster with eSATA.

Comment

"Have you been able to use your eSATA port at all yet with Windows 8.1?"
          Unfortunately not. The enclosure and HD do not get recognised in the BIOS or in windows when I try with eSATA.

Comment

Ok, did you ever get a driver installed for the ASMedia ports? They won't work without a driver.

The eSATA port is shared with the ASMedia A4 port, so if a drive is connected to that port, the eSATA port won't work.

Does your external drive enclosure have its own power supply?

Comment

"Ok, did you ever get a driver installed for the ASMedia ports? They won't work without a driver."

No, still get the same message as per my first post

"The eSATA port is shared with the ASMedia A4 port, so if a drive is connected to that port, the eSATA port won't work."

Nothing on any of the Asmedia ports except the eSATA plugged in the MB.

"Does your external drive enclosure have its own power supply? "

Yes. It is a Vantec NexSytar docking station
              Vantec ? NexStar SuperSpeed Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock - NST-D400SU3- 2.5''/3.5" SATA I/II to USB 3.0 & eSATA Dual Bay Hard Drive Dock

Comment

Is the ASMedia SATA controller enabled in the BIOS, in Storage Controllers? Must be set to AHCI for the eSATA to work.

In Windows Device Manager, there should be an entry in "ATA/IDE Controllers" for the ASMedia controller. Find it and open its Properties, what does it say? Click on the Driver tab, and then Driver Details, what does it say?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Is the ASMedia SATA controller enabled in the BIOS, in Storage Controllers? Must be set to AHCI for the eSATA to work.

In Windows Device Manager, there should be an entry in "ATA/IDE Controllers" for the ASMedia controller. Find it and open its Properties, what does it say? Click on the Driver tab, and then Driver Details, what does it say?
                  The ASmedia SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS and is set to AHCI enabled and SATA Boot ROM disabled.

I managed to install the ASmedia driver through the Device manager.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	AsmediaInstall01.JPG
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	753976

The drive is now shown in Explorer but is not shown in the BIOS under SATA_A3/eSATA1. The computer also takes considerably longer to boot from the BIOS to the Windows logo and again into Windows.

Comment

Nice work, it seems like the ASMedia installation program is causing the problem in Windows 8.1.

You can also see that our board has two ASMedia 1061 SATA controller chips, thank goodness. I was concerned when I bought this board that the four ASMedia ports were connected to one chip!

I wouldn't worry about the drive not being seen in the BIOS, as long as Explorer sees it and you can use it in Windows, you're fine. You could check System Browser in the BIOS, but that is not always accurate either.

Yes, the ASMedia controllers take a while to initialize, so slow the startup time. IMO that is normal. Or try disconnecting the eSATA drive and see what happens.

Comment

Disconnecting the eSATA drive and or booting with it connected to the USB3 port gives a normal fast boot up. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X