Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 UEFI Built-In EFI Shell Missing

Good Day All,

Let me preface by stating I have contacted ASRock support (email rejected) and have searched through these forums before asking for help with my issue.

I have an ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 Motherboard completely updated. I am trying to configure the system with the UEFI RAID. According to all the documentation I have: both the digital that came on the disk with the board and the manual.

The instruction state to:
    - Set the UEFI Advanced> Storage Configuration>SATA Mode to RAID MODE - done.
    - Set the UEFI Mode for GPT partition to on-board RAID 3TB unlocker - done.

It then stated to press F11 to enter the boot manual and choose UEFI: Built in EFI Shell. It is at this point I am at a loss as the shell is not a boot option, I can see the disks and optical drives, but no shell. I have checked the entire manual , looked online and have consulted with everyone in my department but we are at a loss.

If anyone has an idea if what is missing I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Byron

Re: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 UEFI Built-In EFI Shell Missing

I'm not certain this applies to your board, but my ASRock Intel board has this option in the Exit screen:

Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device
    Copy shellx64.efi to the root directory to launch EFI Shell.

What is meant to happen is this option will cause the board to search for the "shellx64.efi" file in a bootable device connected to the PC.

I've read that can be a USB flash drive with the shellx64.efi file copied to its root directory. You provide your own copy of the shellx64.efi file.

Searching the Internet will provide several free sources. Personally, I've had poor luck running it, it never works right. Also, I've read the file name must be other than "shellx64.efi", you may find that in your search hits too.

I know another AMD user was able to do what you are trying to do, they had a thread that is a few pages back from this one if you care to find it.

Comment

Thanks,

I did see the option but I figured since the shell stated it was built-in, an external file shouldn't be necessary. I tried the Windows shell but it didn't work. I am trying the shell I found on SourceForge but it isn't working correctly. I will continue to look and try and I will update my findings.

Again, thanks for your direction,

Byron

Comment

We have searched the forums and looked online and downloaded and tried more "shells" than should be necessary and none of them work correctly for one reason or another. This is the last AS Rock product we purchase. Back to NewEgg with a bad review to boot.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Hang on, question for you: What BIOS version does your board have?

I looked for the thread I mentioned earlier but could not find it. As I recall, that user did not need to add his own shell file. It can exist in other places.

BIOS 1.10 mentions "Update UEFI RAID driver", which may be what you need.

Comment

The BIOS version is listed as a date in the POST screen as 10/2/2013 I believe - I can't be sure as I removed the board from the case.

I checked the disk and the ASRock website but turned up nothing.

But if you have a lead, I'll wait a bit.

Thanks,

Byron

Comment

I also updated the UEFI via the network update to the latest a few days ago - I believe it pulled it from a European server.

Comment

Then you have the latest version which should have what I was hoping would work for you. The factory BIOS version is on a sticker on the CMOS chip on the board.

Comment

The sticker says:

970 PR
                  03 R2
                  P1.20-15B

Comment

@ kinyodas:

If you are just trying to install windows in UEFI.

I don't see the part where you say you created the RAID array, you can't pick a boot option to a drive that was not created. Unless you just didn't post every step.

Should be just set the Sata controller to RAID, like you said, after restart you make the RAID array, name it, set stripe, ect.

Then restart and run the boot options, in the boot options you should see either the USB or disk drive that has the windows OS and it will say UEFI.

You need to make sure that the windows disk or USB flash has the UEFI boot file, or you will not be able to UEFI install, until you add the boot to it.

The BIOS chip started at version 1.20. You should update to 1.30 as this has a memory support fix, and update to 1.50, if you plan to install windows 8, as this has a secure boot update.

If you want to see exactly what version is on it now, the easy way, just DL CPUZ and check mobo tab.

Normally you don't update the BIOS (UEFI) unless you need it.
                    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-02-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

To gain access to the UEFI Shell, you first need the UEFI Shell binary "Shellx64.efi"

Download Link to one that I know works for me is:
                      <a href="https://svn.code.sf.net/p/edk2/code/trunk/edk2/ShellBinPkg/UefiShell/X64/Shell.efi">Direct Download</a>

<a href="http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=ShellPkg#Binary_Repository">Projec t Page</a>

<a href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell"> How to install, invoke, and other good info.</a>

To install the shell, download the shell.efi file. Rename it Shellx64.efi and place it in either the root directory of your EFI FAT32 partition, or within a directory named "Boot" within a directory named "EFI" within the root directory.

Example:
                      <efi root="">[UEFI Root]/Shellx64.efi
                      FS0:\Shellx64.efi

or

<efi root="">[UEFI Root]/EFI/Boot/Shellx64.efi
                      FS0:\EFI\Boot\Shellx64.efi

Launch the shell via the "Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device" menu option.

Once the shell is loaded. Use the bcfg command to make a persistent boot option for the shell to ease its launch.

bcfg usage:
                      bcfg <boot|driver><arg>(-v)

Example for creating boot entry.
                      Code:
                      bcfg boot add 2 FS0:\EFI\Boot\Shellx64.efi "UEFI Shell"
                      Explanation:
                      <bcfg>(bcfg): The command for editing UEFI boot and driver entries
                      <boot>(boot): Indicates you want to Add/Modify/Delete Boot entries
                      <add>(add): Indicates you want to add an entry
                      (2): Indicates that this entry will be number 2, or the third entry. (starts at 0) Note: This will not overwrite or delete other entries. It will slip in place pushing entries 2 and above back a space. Making 2 become 3 and so on. Entries 0 and 1 will not be altered.
                      <fs0:\...\shellx64.efi>(FS0:\...\Shellx64.efi): This is the UEFI path to the file to be launched at invocation. In this case the shell. FS0:\ is the partition that it resides within. The syntax is very similar to DOS.
                      ("UEFI Shell"): Is the name of of the entry that will show up in the boot menu.

For more info, run this command in the shell.
                      Code:
                      bcfg -v -b

Note: This info is for UEFI v2.0, if you have v1.0 you will need an earlier version of the shell file.

-HNx</fs0:\...\shellx64.efi></add></boot></bcfg></arg></boot|driver></efi></efi>
                      Last edited by Hydranix; 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X