Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to set the virtual memory in Windows 7.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to set the virtual memory in Windows 7.

My question is...Samsung recommends to put the initial virtual memory at 200MB and max at 2048MB. So won't that be bad for gaming in second life since it constantly writes to the hard drive? Though I'm not sure how much drive space is exactly used in the virtual memory, I know some drive space is allocated, I don't even know if that is actually being used or not. Does anyone know that? I know windows writes data to the virtual drive even if you will never run out of memory, I have 16Gb of ram. I only use a max of 5 gb or ram on average, sometimes it peaks at 6 or 7 gb of ram. I also use a virtual ramdisk 3 GB large so the game's cache is written to it to increase the speed.

I also read somewhere that it's best to put the initial size of your virtual memory to your peak commit size and I have no idea why, that is an awful lot of wasted drive space to put on a hard drive that is not being used, my peak would max at 7 at it's highest, I know that the more data you put on the drive, the slower it is, especially in games where you need faster reaction speed with shooting.
    My friend has 32GB or ram and I noticed by default, Windows 8 used an initial size of 3 GB! I am not sure why but I'd certainly like to know the changes made with controlling the virtual memory.
    I don't want to waste space if it's not nessessary, I saw benchmark test results for some ssd drives that showed it's best to have 25% or less data on it for maximum performance. Anymore and your file transfers would be slower.

You would think by the year 2013 we'd have smaller operating systems since gamers rely so heavily on reaction speed.
    I miss the days when Windows 98 SE only took up 2 GB of hard drive space, My reaction speed in shooter games was incredibly faster than it is now. If anyone finds out how to reduce the C drive to 10GB or less in Windows 7, let me know!

Thanks for your help.

Re: Where to set the virtual memory in Windows 7.

When I set virtual memory settings I use 1.5 times my ram capacity and set that as minimum and maximum.

Comment

To check and set the size of your virtual memory, open Control Panel and click System.

Then click Advanced system settings, and you should see the System Properties display. In the Performance area at the top click Settings, and choose the Advanced tab in Performance Options.

You'll see the Virtual memory heading and the paging file size on your PC. To modify that, click Change.

If you untick the Automatically manage paging file sizes..., you can then create a custom size. You can also put the paging file on another drive.

I once had a RAM drive and put the pagefile on it, and monitored the usage in Resource monitor. I used exactly... zero bytes of it. The space was allocated but never used.

That was a complete waste of RAM, put a pagefile into RAM, while the pagefile is a substitute for RAM, and reduce my total RAM by creating a RAM drive. What a great option...

Windows wants to have enough RAM to use if you enter Sleep mode. So if you use a lot of your RAM, say over 50%, it will probably start using the pagefile.

Do you use Windows Hibernate? If not, you can disable that and get back at least 2/3 of the total size of your RAM, that is allocated by default by Windows on your C drive, to use if you enter Hibernate.

Comment

Turn that crap OFF!!!!
        Jon Coulter Storage Editor TweakTown

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler.Bernath View Post
          When I set virtual memory settings I use 1.5 times my ram capacity and set that as minimum and maximum.
          Tyler, what in gods name are you doing running a page file?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            To check and set the size of your virtual memory, open Control Panel and click System.

Then click Advanced system settings, and you should see the System Properties display. In the Performance area at the top click Settings, and choose the Advanced tab in Performance Options.

You'll see the Virtual memory heading and the paging file size on your PC. To modify that, click Change.

If you untick the Automatically manage paging file sizes..., you can then create a custom size. You can also put the paging file on another drive.

I once had a RAM drive and put the pagefile on it, and monitored the usage in Resource monitor. I used exactly... zero bytes of it. The space was allocated but never used.

That was a complete waste of RAM, put a pagefile into RAM, while the pagefile is a substitute for RAM, and reduce my total RAM by creating a RAM drive. What a great option...

Windows wants to have enough RAM to use if you enter Sleep mode. So if you use a lot of your RAM, say over 50%, it will probably start using the pagefile.

Do you use Windows Hibernate? If not, you can disable that and get back at least 2/3 of the total size of your RAM, that is allocated by default by Windows on your C drive, to use if you enter Hibernate.
            you will need to open a cmd prompt as admin and type powercfg -h off to get rid of the paging file turning it off does not remove it

Comment

Oh shut up Bill!

Well well, what are you doing over here? Of course we are honored that you are stopping by this forum. I've been meaning to visit that other site you tend to frequent, but I (honestly) forget.

I enjoyed that guide on correctly creating a SSD's OP partition, TRIM-ing that space is a detail I overlooked, thanks for that.

Now Bill, you know old habits die hard, as well as old legends, like you must have a page file. I've run for a long time on several PCs completely without a pagefile. I also religiously disable hibernation, as a devout SSD user, which would explain why I never noticed a page file being created after I disable it, as your post implies will happen.

That is until Windows 8, and its new twist on hibernate, but I don't see a pagefile being allocated, my settings remain as I left them. You'll need to enlighten me on that one...

Comment

powercfg -h is used to enable or disable the hibernation file on your system and to optionally decrease the size of the file.
                note: [ and ] have replaced < and > so that all the information is visible

Code:
                  -HIBERNATE, -H
                              Enables-Disables the hibernate feature.  Hibernate timeout is not
                              supported on all systems.

Usage: POWERCFG -H [ON|OFF]
                                     POWERCFG -H -Size [PercentSize]
                              -Size  Specifies the desired hiberfile size in percentage of the
                                     total memory. The default size cannot be smaller than 50.
                                     This switch will also enable the hiberfile automatically.
                The following saved information is available when you type powercfg -?>d:\powercfg_help.txt

Code:
                POWERCFG [command line options]
                Description:
                  This command line tool enables users to control the power settings
                  on a system.

Parameter List:
                  -LIST, -L   Lists all power schemes in the current user's environment.

Usage: POWERCFG -LIST

-QUERY, -Q  Displays the contents of the specified power scheme.

Usage: POWERCFG -QUERY [SCHEME_GUID] [SUB_GUID]

[SCHEME_GUID]  (optional) Specifies the GUID of the power scheme
                                             to display, can be obtained by using powercfg -l.
                              [SUB_GUID]     (optional) Specifies the GUID of the subgroup
                                             to display.  Requires a SCHEME_GUID to be provided.

If neither SCHEME_GUID or SUB_GUID are provided, the settings
                              of the current user's active power scheme are displayed.
                              If SUB_GUID is not specified, all settings in the specified 
                              power scheme are displayed.

-CHANGE, -X Modifies a setting value in the current power scheme.

Usage: POWERCFG -X [SETTING] [VALUE]

[SETTING]   Specifies one of the following options:
                                          -monitor-timeout-ac [minutes]
                                          -monitor-timeout-dc [minutes]
                                          -disk-timeout-ac [minutes]
                                          -disk-timeout-dc [minutes]
                                          -standby-timeout-ac [minutes]
                                          -standby-timeout-dc [minutes]
                                          -hibernate-timeout-ac [minutes]
                                          -hibernate-timeout-dc [minutes]

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -Change -monitor-timeout-ac 5

This would set the monitor idle timeout value to 5 minutes
                              when on AC power.

-CHANGENAME Modifies the name of a power scheme and optionally it's 
                              description.

Usage: POWERCFG -CHANGENAME [GUID] [name] [scheme description] 

If the description is omitted only the name will be changed.

-DUPLICATESCHEME 
                              Duplicates the specified power scheme.  The resulting 
                              GUID which represents the new scheme will be displayed.

Usage: POWERCFG -DUPLICATESCHEME [GUID] [destination GUID]

[GUID]  Specifies a scheme GUID obtained by using the powercfg -l.

If [destination GUID] is omitted, a new GUID will be
                              created for the duplicated scheme.

-DELETE, -D Deletes the power scheme with the specified GUID.

Usage: POWERCFG -DELETE [GUID]

[GUID]  obtained by using the LIST parameter.

-DELETESETTING 
                              Deletes a power setting.

Usage: POWERCFG -DELETESETTING [SUB_GUID] [SETTING_GUID] 

[SUB_GUID]      Specifies the subgroup GUID.
                              [SETTING_GUID]  Specifies the power setting guid.

-SETACTIVE, -S 
                              Makes the specified power scheme active on the system.

Usage: POWERCFG -SETACTIVE [SCHEME_GUID]

[SCHEME_GUID]  Specifies the scheme guid.

-GETACTIVESCHEME 
                              Retrieve the currently active power scheme.

Usage: POWERCFG -GETACTIVESCHEME 

-SETACVALUEINDEX
                              Sets a value associated with a specified power setting
                              while the system is powered by AC power.

Usage: POWERCFG -SETACVALUEINDEX [SCHEME_GUID] [SUB_GUID]
                                                               [SETTING_GUID] [SettingIndex]

[SCHEME_GUID]   Specifies a power scheme GUID and may be
                                              obtained by using PowerCfg /L.
                              [SUB_GUID]      Specifies a subgroup of power setting GUID and may
                                              be obtained by using "PowerCfg /Q."
                              [SETTING_GUID]  Specifies an individual power setting GUID and may
                                              be obtained by using "PowerCfg /Q".
                              [SettingIndex]  Specifies which of the list of of possible values
                                              this power setting will be set to.

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -SetAcValueIndex [GUID] [GUID] [GUID] 5
                                  This would set the power setting's AC value to the 5th entry
                                  in the list of possible values for this power setting.

-SETDCVALUEINDEX 
                              Sets a value associated with a specified power setting
                              while the system is powered by DC power.

Usage: POWERCFG -SETDCVALUEINDEX [SCHEME_GUID] [SUB_GUID]
                                                               [SETTING_GUID] [SettingIndex]
                              [SCHEME_GUID]   Specifies a power scheme GUID and may be
                                              obtained by using PowerCfg /L.
                              [SUB_GUID]      Specifies a subgroup of power setting GUID and may
                                              be obtained by using "PowerCfg /Q."
                              [SETTING_GUID]  Specifies an individual power setting GUID and may
                                              be obtained by using "PowerCfg /Q".
                              [SettingIndex]  Specifies which of the list of possible values
                                              this setting will be set to.

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -SetDcValueIndex [GUID] [GUID] [GUID] 5
                                  This would set the power setting's DC value to the 5th entry
                                  in the list of possible values for this power setting.

-HIBERNATE, -H
                              Enables-Disables the hibernate feature.  Hibernate timeout is not
                              supported on all systems.

Usage: POWERCFG -H [ON|OFF]
                                     POWERCFG -H -Size [PercentSize]
                              -Size  Specifies the desired hiberfile size in percentage of the
                                     total memory. The default size cannot be smaller than 50.
                                     This switch will also enable the hiberfile automatically.

-AVAILABLESLEEPSTATES, -A  
                              Reports the sleep states available on the system
                              Attempts to report reasons why sleep states are unavailable.

-DEVICEQUERY
                              Return a list of devices that meet the specified criteria.

Usage: POWERCFG -DEVICEQUERY [queryflags]

[queryflags]  Secifies one of the following criteria:

wake_from_S1_supported  Return all devices that support waking the
                                                      system from a light sleep state.
                              wake_from_S2_supported  Return all devices that support waking the
                                                      system from a deeper sleep state.
                              wake_from_S3_supported  Return all devices that support waking the 
                                                      system from the deepest sleep state.
                              wake_from_any           Return all devices that support waking the 
                                                      system from any sleep state.
                              S1_supported            List devices supporting light sleep.
                              S2_supported            List devices supporting deeper sleep.
                              S3_supported            List devices supporting deepest sleep.
                              S4_supported            List devices supporting hibernation.
                              wake_programmable       List devices that are user-configurable
                                                      to wake the system from a sleep state.
                              wake_armed              List devices that are currently configured
                                                      to wake the system from any sleep state.
                              all_devices             Return all devices present in the system.
                              all_devices_verbose     Return verbose list of devices.
                              Example:
                                  POWERCFG -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed

-DEVICEENABLEWAKE
                              Enable the device to wake the system from a sleep state.

Usage: POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE [devicename]

[devicename]  Specifies a device retrieved using
                                            "PowerCfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_programmable".

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -DEVICEENABLEWAKE
                                                       "Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer"

-DEVICEDISABLEWAKE [devicename] disable the device from waking the system
                              Disable the device from waking the system from a sleep state

Usage: POWERCFG -DEVICEDISABLEWAKE 

[devicename]  Specifies a device retrieved using
                                            "PowerCfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed".

-IMPORT     Imports all power settings from the specified file.

Usage: POWERCFG -IMPORT [filename] [GUID] 

[filename]  Specify a fully-qualified path to a file generated by
                                          using "PowerCfg -EXPORT parameter".
                              [GUID]      (optional) The settings are loaded into a power scheme
                                          represented by this GUID. If not supplied, powercfg
                                          will generate and use a new GUID

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -IMPORT c:\scheme.pow

-EXPORT     Exports power scheme, represented by the specified GUID, to the 
                              specified file.

Usage: POWERCFG -EXPORT [filename] [GUID] 

[filename]  Specify a fully-qualified path to a destination file.
                              [GUID]      specifies a power scheme GUID and may be obtained by
                                          using "PowerCfg /L"

Example:
                                  POWERCFG -EXPORT c:\scheme.pow
                                                   381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

-LASTWAKE   Reports information about what woke the system from the last
                              sleep transition

-HELP, -?   Displays information on command-line parameters.

-ALIASES    Displays all aliases and their corresponding GUIDs.
                              The user may use these aliases in place of any GUID on
                              the commandline.

-SETSECURITYDESCRIPTOR
                              Sets a security descriptor associated with a specified
                              power setting, power scheme, or action.

Usage: POWERCFG -SETSECURITYDESCRIPTOR [GUID|ACTION] [SDDL]

[GUID]       Specifies a power scheme or a power setting GUID.
                              [ACTION]     Can be one of the following strings:
                                           ActionSetActive, ActionCreate, ActionDefault
                              [SDDL]       Specifies a valid security descriptor string in SDDL
                                           format. Call POWERCFG -GETSECURITYDESCRIPTOR to see
                                           an example SDDL STRING.

-GETSECURITYDESCRIPTOR
                              Gets a security descriptor associated with a specified 
                              power setting, power scheme, or action.

Usage: POWERCFG -GETSECURITYDESCRIPTOR [GUID|ACTION] 
                              [GUID]       Specifies a power scheme or a power setting GUID.
                              [ACTION]     Can be one of the following strings:
                                           ActionSetActive, ActionCreate, ActionDefault

-REQUESTS
                              Enumerate application and driver Power Requests. Power 
                              Requests prevent the computer from automatically powering off 
                              the display or entering a low-power sleep mode. 

-REQUESTSOVERRIDE
                              Sets a Power Request override for a particular Process, Service,
                              or Driver. If no parameters are specified, this command displays
                              the current list of Power Request Overrides. 

Usage: POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE [CALLER_TYPE] [NAME] [REQUEST] 
                              [CALLER_TYPE]    Specifies one of the following caller type:
                                               PROCESS, SERVICE, DRIVER. This is obtained by 
                                               calling the POWERCFG -REQUESTS command. 
                              [NAME]           Specifies the caller name. This is the name 
                                               returned from calling POWERCFG -REQUESTS command.
                              [REQUEST]        Specifies one or more of the following Power
                                               Request Types: Display, System, Awaymode.
                              Example:
                                  POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS wmplayer.exe Display System

-ENERGY
                              Analyze the system for common energy-efficiency and battery life
                              problems. The ENERGY command should be used when the computer is
                              idle and with no open programs or documents. The ENERGY command
                              will generate an HTML report file in the current path. The ENERGY
                              command supports the following optional parameters:

Usage: POWERCFG -ENERGY [-OUTPUT [FILENAME]] [-XML]
                                                      [-DURATION [SECONDS]]
                                     POWERCFG -ENERGY -TRACE [-D [FILEPATH]]
                                                             [-DURATION [SECONDS]]
                              -OUTPUT [FILENAME]   - Specify the path and filename to store the
                                                     energy report HTML file.
                              -XML                 - Format the report file as XML.
                              -TRACE               - Record system behavior and do not perform
                                                     analysis. Trace files will be generated in
                                                     the current path unless the -D parameter
                                                     is specified.
                              -D [FILEPATH]        - Specify the directory to store trace data.
                                                     May only be used with the -TRACE parameter.
                              -DURATION [SECONDS]  - Specify the number of seconds to observe
                                                     system behavior.  Default is 60 seconds.
                  -WAKETIMERS
                              Enumerate the active wake timers. If enabled, the expiration of a
                              wake timer wakes the system from sleep and hibernate states.
                Attached Files
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi Parsec,
                  I actually review for TweakTown now Im doing RAID 0 reviews.

Comment

Working...
                  X