asrock 990fx extreme4 & amd fx 9590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock 990fx extreme4 & amd fx 9590

I'm planning to buy this cpu. Is 100% compatible with this mobo?

Thanks

Re: asrock 990fx extreme4 & amd fx 9590

No. The 990FX Extreme4 only supports CPU's to 140w. The FX-9590 is a 220w processor.

Currently the only board ASRock has that TRULY supports the FX-9590 is the 990FX Extreme9
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      No. The 990FX Extreme4 only supports CPU's to 140w. The FX-9590 is a 220w processor.

Currently the only board ASRock has that TRULY supports the FX-9590 is the 990FX Extreme9
      OK thanks.
      Even Fatal1ty 990FX Professional supports only 140w processors, but the fx 9590 is in the cpu support list. I'm a bit confused

Comment

I would assume ASRock has tested the 9590 on the Fatality.

That still doesn't impress me knowing that. 140 watts vs 220 watts is a vast difference. And one I'd rather not have to worry about how hot the VRM's get in making up that extra 80 watts that the board/VRM's/VRM cooling sinks weren't designed to accommodate.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

wardog, I agree, the term "compatible" is being stretched to the limit here. That also sounds like this scenario:

Not being an AMD person, is that 220W TDP, or CPU power requirements? Not that it matters much, since finding a cooler that can handle a TDP of 220W is not easy, not to mention the case needed to fit it. Does a '9590 even come with a CPU cooler?

Also, is the 220W rating for a '9590 with it in a stock clock configuration? As in no OC at all?

If at stock clocks, obviously that is at 100% usage on all cores/threads?

Intel's most power hungry CPU's, are the socket 2011 Ivy Bridge E Extreme six core processors, rated at 130W TDP, at stock clocks. They certainly use over 200W of power when OC'd. Some high end socket 2011 boards have two, eight pin CPU power connectors.

As I recall, the original power limit for the eight pin CPU power connector was 20A per circuit (four +12V, four ground), which is a mere 80A. (This is why using a four pin CPU power cable is a compromise.) That spec was changed to increase the power per circuit, but at 30A per circuit, that is only 120W, or 160W at 40A per circuit. Sure, some 12V CPU power is supplied through the main 24 pin connector, but there are only two +12V circuits. The 20 pin cable/connector only has one +12V circuit!

Where oh where is all this power to come from?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Not being an AMD person, is that 220W TDP, or CPU power requirements?
            TDP.

AMD specified strict guidelines for boards to "Officially' support these monsters. And currently I can think of no other cooling that can dissipate 220w's other than decent water cooling.

To the OP, take your chances. My guess is you'll be disappointed sooner rather than later pairing the 990FX Extreme4 up with the 9590. When the sinks over the VRM's begin changing from nice silver color to tinged with blue, you'll know.

Comment

Working...
            X