No announcement yet.

Z77 Extreme 4 Very odd shutdown problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Extreme 4 Very odd shutdown problems...

Hey guys,

This is my first build, and for it I chose the Z77 Extreme 4. Ever since I built it, I have had the strangest (and progressively more annoying) problem- the motherboard will not shut down the fans or lights when Widnows shuts down, and I must hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to manually shut it down. Additionally, the motherboard will not shut down when in hibernation or hybrid sleep mode, but it does turn off the keyboard and mouse, making it impossible to wake up the computer without doing a hard restart.

The weirdest part, though, is that when I reset windows the fans and lights DO automatically turn off for about a second before coming back on and restarting.

I am totally stumped. I am a little hesitant to go in myself and try to fix the problem, as I cant find many consistent answers online. As this if my first build, I am not totally comfortable making drastic changes without specific instructions on what to change, which is why I am here. Has anybody else encountered this problem and successfully fixed it? If so, how? Is there an official fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Z77 Extreme 4 Very odd shutdown problems...

Double check that the case to MB connections are plugged in correctly.

Then, if the above wiring is correct, I'd probably swap in a different PSU and see if it replicated the problem.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

BTW, Hello and Welcome to TweakTown.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Checked wiring- it is all correct.

I also did a little more watching this time around, and noticed something else- the motherboard itself is not turning off, either. It displays 05 on the led display near the power buttons. Come to think of it I have noticed this before, but just didn't think about it at the time I posted.

I also used the page you used, and found that I should be generating more than enough power to run the equipment that I am using. I don't think that the PSU is the problem- before I bought the parts for the computer I checked all of my numbers to ensure that I got a PSU which could handle everything. I had several people check to confirm it.

It seems to me that, for some reason, the OS is not communicating the shut down command properly to the motherboard. Like I said, the weird part about all of this is that when I restart the computer everything goes off perfectly fine, but then (of course) restarts.

Comment

I have a very similar system to yours, same board and video card, similar CPU and use SSDs, and do not have your problem. I actually have two Z77 Ex 4 boards, and neither of them have your problem. What BIOS version do you have?

What you describe happening has been reported before in this forum, but IMO it is not a problem with the board.

It sounds like your PC is going into what is called the S1 Sleep state, instead of S5, the normal Windows shutdown, or "soft off" in ACPI terms. Windows Sleep mode, where the PC is seemingly off, but can be woken without booting is the S3 state. Hibernate is s4.

In your BIOS, Advanced menu, ACPI Configuration, check that Suspend to RAM is set to Auto, Check Ready Bit is Enabled, ACPI HPET Table is Enabled, and RTC Alarm Power On set to By OS. Note the mouse and keyboard power on options in this screen, they might help you wake from Sleep and Hibernate.

In Advanced menu, South Bridge Configuration, set Deep Sleep to Disabled.

If you don't use these options, in Advanced, set Rapid Start Technology and Smart Connect Technology to Disabled.

In H/W Monitor, set Dehumidifier function to Disabled (a long shot, but you never know...)

In the Advanced settings of the Windows Power Plan that you use, check the Sleep entries. Try setting Hybrid Sleep to Off.

Normally if the PC is in Sleep or Hibernate mode, when the keyboard and mouse won't wake the PC, just pressing the case's power button normally will wake the PC.

Comment

Did everything you said- no change. Hybrid sleep is off. Hibernate is off. Windows still shuts down, and the MB still displays 05 while fans and lights stay on. The 05 message appears as soon as the operating system is completely off and the monitor looses the signal from the computer. It seems like everything is off except the MB, fans, and lights.

I dont thinks its a board problem, but something is obviously not communicating properly. The fans and lights DID turn off when I shut down from the BIOS after saving changes- clearly the MB CAN turn off the fans and lights. For some reason it isn't getting the order to do so from windows when it needs to.

BIOS Version: P2.90 SMBIOS Version: 2.7 (info taken from system information)

See, with every other computer I have had (none have had the specs of this one, but should be pretty similar in this function) when it goes into sleep mode the fans and lights all go off. Pressing the power button turns everything back on. But what it seems like is happening to me is that the motherboard never goes into sleep or shutdown mode- it is still on. So when I press the power button to force it to wake back up, the command is pointless because it thinks that it is still on. If i hold down the power button and turn of the MB manually, it totally turns everything off and "improperly" turns off windows.

All drivers are up to date- I checked that just now as well, thinking that could be the problem (that was also the first thing I checked, way back when I built it).

Comment

Reason I asked about swapping in another PSU to test with is I've seen PSU's do some weird things. Not that I doubted the capabilities of it powering your system.

You might also do an out of the case build with just the bare necessities attached. Place the MB on the bare box the MB came in. Do not use the ant-static bag between the MB and box as there is the chance the bag is aluminized, as, well, that wouldn't be good.

Comment

A few things to try, experiments so to speak...

With nothing running but the Windows desktop, or clicking on the desktop background, type, "Alt+F4" (no + sign, just the Alt and F4 keys.) You should see the Shutdown Windows dialog box. Note what the default option being displayed is, there are five, and Shutdown should be the default. If it isn't, then a Windows setting is wrong. You can cancel the shutdown, but try it by selecting Shutdown, and see what happens. Did the PC shutdown, or do its usual non-shutdown?

You can also perform a shutdown from an administrative command prompt (CMD.)

Enter: shutdown /p Another version is: shutdown /s /t 0

System shutdowns are logged in the System Log, viewable with Event viewer. Look for the Source being User32.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shutdown event 1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	754018

Comment

@wardog: I thought I said this- I do not have any easy (or, for that matter, difficult) access to another PSU unless I buy another- on a tight college budget this isnt exactly viable.

@ parsec- Did everything you said there, too, no change. All three shutdowns (ALT+F4, and both cmd prompts) shut windows down as usual but left lights and fans running.

I also went into the event viewer and found the shutdown info. Attached a screenshot.Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	754019

Comment

Read THIS thread and decide if you think it might be helpful doing what the post marked "Best solution" instructs.

Comment

@ Wardog- THAT WORKED!!! Thank you so much. I dunno how I didnt find that in the dozens of web searches I made.

It works perfectly fine now.

Comment

What worked for you, flashing the BIOS and/or setting default values, and then doing the PSU procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmag170 View Post
                          @ Wardog- THAT WORKED!!! Thank you so much. I dunno how I didnt find that in the dozens of web searches I made.

It works perfectly fine now.
                          Ahhh .... Redemption in the eyes of the OP. Thank you, you're welcome. Good to hear. Thanks for knowing that.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          What worked for you, flashing the BIOS and/or setting default values, and then doing the PSU procedure?
                          dragonmag, did you follow step by step that post I linked? It would help us both for future reference knowing just what worked as we both hang out here answering/helping others.

Comment

This issue drove me crazy. Would reset no problem but on shut down would hang on debug 05 until you hold power button down.

after memtest86+, new windows install, bios updated to 2.9, I thought it was hardware prob like a slot busted then read this thread and tried a jump of bios and it worked. I'm not sure why updating to 2.9 didn't work and reset all setting but the jump did. Shuts down no problem now.

For anybody trying resolve the hang on debug 05 on shutdown. Try the CMOS jump reset first. Good luck.

i3570k
                            asrock extreme4
                            G.Skill GS-F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL x4
                            win 8.1

Comment

Working...
                            X