Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory compatable for ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory compatable for ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme4?

This is my first post, so thank you in advance.

I am upgrading my 7 1/2-year-old C2D E6300 machine to a Haswell machine. I was considering the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 along with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM. I based my memory choice off of the information on this website - AnandTech | Memory Scaling on Haswell CPU, IGP and dGPU: DDR3-1333 to DDR3-3000 Tested with G.Skill

After checking the memory compatibility charts, for some reason that memory is listed for the Z87 Extreme6 but not for the Extreme4. These boards seem quite similar, so I'm wondering if there is any specific reason why it is listed for one and not the other. Is there some difference in the way each handles memory? Will this memory work in the Extreme4?

Interestingly, the similar G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZM is listed as compatible with the Extreme4. Also, much of the G.Skill memory listed on Newegg has similar specs but not matching model numbers to what is listed on the ASRock compatibility charts. It's because of this that I'm wondering if it is just semantics and that the memory will work.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by offthelake; 12-21-2013, 02:27 AM.

Re: Memory compatable for ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme4?

You'll find more results using G.Skill's own Memory Configurator when choosing memory.

HERE it is for the ASRock Z87 Extreme4

HERE it is for the ASRock Z87 Extreme6

Motherboard manufacturers only have a finite supply of memory on their shelves with which to test and certify with. And unfortunately many are out of production. It's cost prohibitive for the MB manufacturer to maintain and update a/their memory inventory. That's why I usually look to the memory manufacturers website.

I've also been known to gamble, roll the dice, and takes me chances. :) G.Skill has a Tech section HERE on TweakTown staffed by Matt. And they of course have their own forum on G.Skill's website too.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Doh. .......

Hello and Welcome.

I too am located off the same lake, if you're referring to Lake Michigan.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I re-posted in the G.Skill Tech section. If figured it was the case that mobo manufacturers can't possibly test all memory. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, especially since it is supposed to be the processor controlling the memory and not the board.

And yes, Lake Michigan it is....Go Bears!

Comment

Originally posted by offthelake View Post
          I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, especially since it is supposed to be the processor controlling the memory and not the board.
          Easy there. Let's not forget about the BIOS.

Originally posted by offthelake View Post
          ....Go Bears!
          Who? j/k

Holding back Philly's rushing game tomorrow will be Job #1 for the Bears.

Detroit, Go Lions! Well ....... here's hoping anyways they come away with a W against the Giants. Tall order as of late though, sadly. It should be an in the bag game otherwise.

Comment

Working...
          X