No announcement yet.

G.Skill Memory Compatable with ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Memory Compatable with ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme 4?

I posted this on the TweakTown ASRock forum, and it was suggested by wardog that I post over here. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am upgrading my 7 1/2-year-old C2D E6300 machine to a Haswell machine. I was considering the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 along with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM. I based my memory choice off of the information on this website - AnandTech | Memory Scaling on Haswell CPU, IGP and dGPU: DDR3-1333 to DDR3-3000 Tested with G.Skill

After checking the memory compatibility charts on both ASRock's site and G.Skill's site, for some reason that memory is listed for the Z87 Extreme6 but not for the Extreme4. These boards seem quite similar, so I'm wondering if there is any specific reason why it is listed for one and not the other. Is there some difference in the way each handles memory? Will this memory work in the Extreme4?

Interestingly, the similar G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8Q-16GBZM is listed as compatible with the Extreme4. I found the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM listed as being compatible with both boards, but that is 2133Mhz and 1.65v. I also found that much of the G.Skill memory listed in the charts is no longer available. Much of the G.Skill memory at Newegg (where I have been looking) has similar specs but not matching model numbers to what is listed on the compatibility charts. It's because of this that I'm wondering if it is just semantics and that the memory will work.

If I can't tell for sure regarding the 1866 memory, I'll just buy the 2133 memory, even though it is a bit more expensive. Does the fact that it is 1.65v make any difference?

Thanks again.

Re: G.Skill Memory Compatable with ASRock Z87 Extreme6 but not Extreme 4?

Hi offthelake,

We only list the motherboard who had been tested on our QVL, and if you considering about the Asrock Z87 Extreme4 with single 8GB size memroy, we will suggest 1866Mhz memory kit.
    If you considering about 2133Mhz for Z87 Extreme4, single size 4GB memory will be the only choice, and you could choose our 4GB x2 or 4GB x4 memory kits.

The performance memory kit(1.65v) needs more power to stabilize the system(higher frequency/timing/capacity)

One more thing for reminder, always use one memory kit instead of mixing two kits at the same time, it may cause incompatible issue. Please note!

If you still have questions about finding correct memory kit, let me know and i will list the compatible kits for you.

Comment

Working...
    X