Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 7 not shutting down

hello to everyone
    I have been having a problem trying to shut my desktop down. When I mouse click on the "shut down" button it sems to go to sleep in that the screen goes off and all hard drives wind down but the fans and psu keep going. To then shut down I have to push the on/off button on top of the case. I have checked that all settings in control panel with regard to when to put monitor and computer to sleep are in the "never" state. I have reset the bios to default and as that didnt work have downlaoded and flashed to the latest 1.60 eufi. I have also changed the PSU, removed the sound card and GPU. As a last resort I have twice reformatted the C drive and twice re-installed the win 7 software. Still I cant get the PC to shut down when I tell it to. No big deal as I just have to push the on/off button. But its annoying that I cant find the problem. If I ask it to do a restart it does it without a problem. I made no changes and didn't add any new hardware immediately prior to this happening. Can anyone chuck any new ideas at me as I'm beginning to suspect the 18 month old motherboard.

Re: win 7 not shutting down

Two things you can check: When your computer is running, disconnect the power switch connector from you motherboard front panel wire set (usually the green and white wires). There might be a short somewhere in that circuit. Usually, software keeps a computer from turning off. A program or service is still trying to run and won't let Windows shut down. Check task manager (Ctrl, Shift, Esc) for programs and services running right before you try to shut down. Most likely, backup programs, defrag and virus scanners will cause this. Good luck!

Comment

We have no clue what "18 month old motherboard" you have, not to mention any of your other hardware.

After installing Windows again, with no other software/drivers installed, does the PC refuse to shutdown?

Comment

sorry parsec -
        I'm new on this site and as I had to fill in all the details about everything making up my PC, I assumed there would be a button to click to show the details!
        Asrock H77M - i3570K - 2x4gb vengence 1600 memory - XFX 550W PSU - Bitfenix Alpha case - WD 1Tb green HDD - further 250Gb, 320Gb and 350Gb hard drives for backup and video/photo processing - Nvidia GTX650 1Gb GPU - Creative Z soundcard - WIN 7 Home OS -

And after a clean install after reformatting drive, with only OS on it still doesn't shut down only appears to go to sleep!
        Last edited by garryash; 12-22-2013, 02:26 AM.

Comment

God news at last !

Have reset the CMOS for second time - but this time left it shoretd out for 15 seconds instead of 6-7 seconds and it has now shutdown correctly 3 times.
          One good thing came out of it - As I got fed up of loading all my software back on I put what I could on the other drives so the C drive only has what it needs and it now starts up a lot quicker. I realise that with time it will slow down again. Maybe I can get an SD for xmas next year!!??

Comment

I see, sorry about that, I should have known you put in your specs and they just did not display correctly at first. So many people never fill in that information.

Well, we learned a lesson there. The capacitor(s) needed discharging for over 10 seconds before the CMOS was cleared completely. I usually leave that jumper on for at least several minutes. Some ASR boards have a CMOS clear button, that works instantly, I wonder how that works.

Glad you figured it out!

Comment

Originally posted by garryash View Post
              hello to everyone
              I have been having a problem trying to shut my desktop down. When I mouse click on the "shut down" button it sems to go to sleep in that the screen goes off and all hard drives wind down but the fans and psu keep going. To then shut down I have to push the on/off button on top of the case. I have checked that all settings in control panel with regard to when to put monitor and computer to sleep are in the "never" state. I have reset the bios to default and as that didnt work have downlaoded and flashed to the latest 1.60 eufi. I have also changed the PSU, removed the sound card and GPU. As a last resort I have twice reformatted the C drive and twice re-installed the win 7 software. Still I cant get the PC to shut down when I tell it to. No big deal as I just have to push the on/off button. But its annoying that I cant find the problem. If I ask it to do a restart it does it without a problem. I made no changes and didn't add any new hardware immediately prior to this happening. Can anyone chuck any new ideas at me as I'm beginning to suspect the 18 month old motherboard.
              Hey,
              I had this issue on my Z87 Fatal1ty Professional setup. I had Dr Debug show 05 when the machine would not power down.
              After some trial and error, I found my issue is the setting in the BIOS: Advanced\ACPI Configuration\

Suspend to RAM was on AUTO, I changed it to DISABLED.

"Select disable for ACPI suspend type S1. It is recommended to select auto for ACPI S3 power saving."

My problem is now fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                Some ASR boards have a CMOS clear button, that works instantly, I wonder how that works.
                In certain situations it doesn't. Been there, done that. I can sympathize with the OP.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by razrx View Post
                  Hey,
                  I had this issue on my Z87 Fatal1ty Professional setup. I had Dr Debug show 05 when the machine would not power down.
                  After some trial and error, I found my issue is the setting in the BIOS: Advanced\ACPI Configuration\

Suspend to RAM was on AUTO, I changed it to DISABLED.

"Select disable for ACPI suspend type S1. It is recommended to select auto for ACPI S3 power saving."

My problem is now fixed.
                  Actually, your description of those options, and the settings you chose, should do exactly the opposite to enable a Windows shutdown.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work for you at all, but I am thinking that there might be a bug in those BIOS settings.

The S1 sleep state (S1 and S3 are defined Sleep states) normally keeps the fans running on the PC, and it is just one notch above fully on. Certainly not a normal shutdown (S5 state) but appears to be the normal on state, with no video to the monitor. Every time I see a thread like this one, I have said it sounds like the PC is in the S1 Sleep state.

That help text you included is clear that setting ACPI Suspend to Disabled is the S1 state, which I believe you and others were really in the S1 state when you chose shutdown. The only options for that setting are Auto and Disabled, correct?

So it seems that Auto was giving you the S1 state when it should not do so, and disabling it which should activate the S1 state, actually allows a normal shutdown.

My two ASR boards have this option, which I have set to Auto, so I can use S3 normal Sleep. That works on both my boards. I also can shutdown those PCs fine.

Very strange IMO, I can't say with certainty that those BIOS settings are backwards on your system, but it seems as if they are. I guess some Windows settings may be affecting your results, but I don't know what they are.

Your post is the first clue I've seen that there really may be an issue with those BIOS settings. There have been a fair amount of threads about your issue, some never resolved AFAIK. Thanks for posting your experience, it really has me wondering now...

BTW, does Windows Sleep (S3) work for you now with that option set to disabled?

Comment

Working...
                  X