X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte z87x-d3h freeze if I connect a new 3TB disk

Hi Guys,
    I have a strange issue.
    I have a z87x-d3h with 3 hard disk connected, 1 ssd and 2 western digital blue 1TB. I recently bought a Western digital green 3TB disk, installed it in a free sata port and everything worked fine.
    I partitioned it as GPT and copied some backup in one of the partitions.
    As soon as I rebooted the PC doesn't boot anymore and freeze at the gigabyte splash logo.
    If I disconnect the sata cable of the WD 3TB everything works fine. When it freeze I can't even enter bios.

-It's not a power issue because it doesn't boot even if I power the drive externally with another power supply
    -it's not a cable issue, i tried with different
    -Already tried with different SATA ports
    -Tried all stable bios

Could it be that it has a bug with GPT ? the other disks are also using GPT.
    Is the board faulty?

Re: Gigabyte z87x-d3h freeze if I connect a new 3TB disk

no idea whats up

tried formatting the 3tb again but this time connect only the 3tb hdd and setup the gpt partition,once done add in the other hdd's and see if it freezes
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did the 3TB drive itself go belly up?

Try it on another system or in an external enclosure and see if it exhibits the same "issue'.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

tried formatting the 3tb again but this time connect only the 3tb hdd and setup the gpt partition,once done add in the other hdd's and see if it freezes
        I tried changing some new partition to update the GPT, what I didn't try was deleting the partition with the data. Is there any way to completely erase the GPT?
        I cannot format the 3TB disk by itself because I can't have it attached, so far it only works connected via usb. As soon as I connect it via SATA i can't boot the pc.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        Did the 3TB drive itself go belly up?

Try it on another system or in an external enclosure and see if it exhibits the same "issue'.
        I forgot to say that the drive works fine using a SATA-USB2 Adapter, and the data seems also fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 00christian00 View Post
          I tried changing some new partition to update the GPT, what I didn't try was deleting the partition with the data. Is there any way to completely erase the GPT?
          I cannot format the 3TB disk by itself because I can't have it attached, so far it only works connected via usb. As soon as I connect it via SATA i can't boot the pc.

I forgot to say that the drive works fine using a SATA-USB2 Adapter, and the data seems also fine.
          Ok, solved it guys
          Seem that the bios doesn't like the way Windows 7 format exFAT(probably only for partitions larger than 1 or 2TB, because my other WD disk are also formatted with exFAT).
          I solved it by destroing the exFat partition via usb adapter then booting with Parted Magic, removed the GPT and reconstucted it then created the partitions all inside parted magic. Works fine now.

Comment

Working...
          X