ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 And Bios overclocking problems. Bios version P1.50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 And Bios overclocking problems. Bios version P1.50

Hi all, i built this just to get back into Intel, I have a ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 UEFI Bios version P1.50 and a i5 2500K Processor. Now, In the bios there are many settings to deal with, Under the OC section, Most are set to auto, the only way i can even get a Multi of 37 to stick is if i put a setting to all cores. If i mess with any other settings(having to do with Intel features the multi goes back to 16. How do i OC this board without useing the ASRock windows OC utility? Even then the slider for the Multi only goes as high as 36. Why is this? this is a fully unlocked chip. Its been a long time since iive had to OC a chip and dont understand half of what the Intel features do. Could someone help me out with this? Any sort of help would be great. Yes i know the board isnt the greatest, but it was all i could afford and get a new PSU also. The 2500K was given to me by my nephew when i built his i7 rig for him, its a great chip and it sure whomps the AMD 4100 i was useing before this new build.

Thanks
    Harry

Re: ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 And Bios overclocking problems. Bios version P1.50

Your processor may be unlocked, but your board's B75 chipset does not support CPU over clocking. Check this link for details, the second paragraph in particular:

Intel Launches 7-Series Chipsets

You cannot change the CPU multiplier, but you can change the BCLK a little, but not like earlier generation Intel processors. If you're lucky, the BIOS might have a special feature that would allow a non-standard OC (non-Z OC), if that still exists.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I am useing the OC utility(got it figured out) and have a constant 3.7 with turbo up to 4.0ish. Does just fine for now and doesnt overheat at all. I will be getting a different board someday soon, this was on sale real cheap with a PSU and the processor was free from my nephew. To me it has alot more life to it, just bummed it wont support 1600 ram because it isnt an Ivy bridge(dont know if thats board specific or not), but thanks again and i hope to have a better board soon.

Comment

The memory spec is for the CPU, that spec from Intel, the memory controller is part of the CPU. But you should have no problem using 1600 memory with your CPU and board. The Intel spec is very conservative. My i7-2600K PC has its memory running at 1866, and that is with 1600 rated RAM. Plus if yours did not run 1600, you can just set the speed lower, to 1333.

Sorry for the bad news about the board, you must check some of these things with Intel now. Plus the advertising for the board might imply things that don't exist. Since Intel embraced (to a degree) over clocking, or really pay attention to it, they have locked down some features (as you know) so you can't OC unless you pay for it.

The introduction of Sandy Bridge CPUs like your i5-2500K included major changes in the way over clocking is done compared to previous generations. Put most of the older ways aside for your new one. OCing is done with the CPU multiplier only, the BCLK cannot be adjusted more than ~5%. The rest of the OC is setting voltage and a few stability tweaks. When SB was introduced, the OCing community thought they were boring, to simple to OC compared to earlier processors, which is true.

SB CPUs were a gift from Intel, have plenty of life in them, and are cooler running then IVB or Haswell. IMO, Intel has hobbled the "Mainstream" i5 and i7 IVB and Haswell processors (TIM instead of solder between the CPU die and IHS) given what they learned from SB Mainstream processors (the SB Extremes were not worth the $ over the Mainstreams.)

Comment

Working...
        X