Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 extreme 9/ac not detecting detecting second GPU in PCI-e slot 4

Hi guys,

I have been having some issues with my new AsRock Z87 Extreme 9/ac build which I can't figure out straight away:

1. Major issue is that the board does not detect my Sapphire R9 290x (BF4 edition) in PCI-e slot 4.
    I have three of these R9 290x and according to the asrock manual(http://www.asrock.co...9ac/?cat=Manual) they should be installed in pci-e slots 1,3 and 4. In doing so only two GPU's were detected. I checked and it turned out to be the one in pci-e 4. Now I know this card should be Ok as I was running the rig for setup first with only this GPU in slot PCI-e 2.

I removed the working GPU in slot 3, and tried again. Only the GPU in slot PCI-e 1 was detected, nothing for slot 4. Then I switched the GPU from slot 4 to 3 (so now both GPU's sandwiched together, no gap in between as should per manual for the two card setup) and it is working alright. I'm a bit puzzled here.. To me it sounds as if there's just something wrong with slot 4..

Do you guys have any other suggestions as to what do next? I think I'll try and add my old 5750 gpu to see if that gets detected but i doubt it.. I'll also have a go and see what happens if I plug the 290x in the PCI-e 5 slot. Would/should result in x8/x8/x8 instead of x16/x8/x8 then though..

Could it have something to do with the PLX bridge responsible for the extra lanes? I have not come across of any driver for it on the driver disk / website of AsRock and I can't seem to find the chip in device manager (not sure if I should be able to find it or not..)

2. Second issue i've been having is the following: Whenever I shutdown the system my case fans and CPU fan keep on turning, as well as the power led on the case is left on. Everything else seems to be shut down. After entering this 'state' I am unable to boot the system using the power button; I have to flick the switch on the psu and turn it back on after which everything returns back to normal. I am suspecting some kind of power saving / sleep state whatever here - although I clearly ask windows 7 to shutdown Have any of you had/heard about this or similar? It's bugging me as I don't know what is causing it and alas I don't know if it's harmful either.

System specs:

PSU: Corsair AX1200 (1200 watt)
    CPU: i7 4770k
    MB: AsRock Z87 Extreme 9/ac - BIOS v2.10
    Mem: 2x8 GB Kingston KHX24C11T3K2/16X
    GPU: 3x Sapphire Radeon R9 290x 4GB GDDR5 Battefield 4 Edition (original BIOS 015.039.000.007.003526 - according to GPU-Z)
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 500GB
    HDD: 4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, 3TB
    ODD: LG BH16NS40

Any help greatly appreciated!
    TIA

UPDATE: Ok, so I went ahead and installed the old 5750 in pci-e 4 slot and it's being detected alright (this with the two other R290x installed in slot 1 and 3.) I then removed the 5750 again and replaced it with my third 290x however still the same result. The card is not detected, only the ones in slot 1 and 3 are..
    Last edited by GIBZORS; 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM. Reason: update
Working...
X