CPU Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Cooler

Hi all. New here and did some searching before for recomendations for a new non stock CPU cooler for a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard. Prefer to find one that isn't like the stock Intell CPU coolers where you have to push down and turn the holder thingies in place. Don't need a water cooled set up. Any reccomendations would be appreciated. If it helps the case I got is a Raidmax Super Atlas with a side window 120mm fan so it cant be to tall plus theres a heatsink or whatever its called right near the CPU spot.

Re: CPU Cooler

It would be helpful to know what CPU you are using, the model number, as well as model number of your memory. Memory with tall heat sinks can cause clearance issues with some CPU coolers.

Are you prepared to possibly remove the mother board to install the new CPU cooler? The cut out on the mother board tray of the case may not allow access to the screws and mounting back plate of a new cooler. You can check that easily by removing one side panel of the case.

Did you build the PC yourself? Have you ever mounted a cooler before? Your budget for this cooler?

A popular and above average CPU cooler that is not expensive is the Cooler Master Hyper 212: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

That cooler is just one example, there are others that would be work well and fit on your board an in your PC. The 212 will fit since it can be positioned with its long dimension either vertically or horizontally.

Comment

Its a new build that's not done yet, actualy not even put together yet. Got all the stuff today except for the new psu and had to contact Raidmax to get some screws with rubber thingys so I can mount some extra cooling fans and decided to go with a better cpu cooler then the stock cooler that came with the Intel processor. I measured how many inches I got to work with and after a few hours of looking some up that will fit in the new case I got I have a max of 6 inches of cpu cooler height to work with. From the top of the cpu to the side panel is not quite 6 1/4 inches. But the side panel also has a plastic window that sits inward a little bit so I`m guessing a little less then 6 1/4 inches to work with. Most of the cpu coolers I have looked up the specs on sit right around 6 1/4 inches tall or a little higher. Found a Coolermaster Hyper N520 at Frys Electronics for $34.00 that is a little over 5 inches tall going to go look at it tomorrow to make sure I have the clearance for my ram and a few other things on the mobo. Below is a few pics of what I`m working with on the mobo. Havent built a new computer in about 6 years so a little rusty on some things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	754151

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        It would be helpful to know what CPU you are using, the model number, as well as model number of your memory. Memory with tall heat sinks can cause clearance issues with some CPU coolers.

Are you prepared to possibly remove the mother board to install the new CPU cooler? The cut out on the mother board tray of the case may not allow access to the screws and mounting back plate of a new cooler. You can check that easily by removing one side panel of the case.

Did you build the PC yourself? Have you ever mounted a cooler before? Your budget for this cooler?

A popular and above average CPU cooler that is not expensive is the Cooler Master Hyper 212: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

That cooler is just one example, there are others that would be work well and fit on your board an in your PC. The 212 will fit since it can be positioned with its long dimension either vertically or horizontally.
        Thanks for the reply. Yes I built the PC myself and found a CPU cooler that fits nicely and doesn`t hit the side panel. I had that problem with my last build and had to break out the Dremmel and do a little bit of grinding some plastic off of the side panel fan. This new build and had to take the Dremmel and do the same to a top mount exhaust fan so one of the power plug ins right next to the edge of the motherboard wouldn't be hitting the top fan. Below is a list of the components. Got everything up and running nicely now with all my programs installed. Got lucky that a friend of my brothers refurbishes PC as a side job and has an installers license for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and got that installed for $80.00. The only thing I`m having trouble with is figuring out how to restore al my Ipod songs in ITunes using my Ipod. Got a back up hard drive done last night by using Acronis True Image. One more questionI have is what is a good recommended temperature monitoring program? Will post a pic of the build in a little bit here waiting for a Blu Ray movie to finish burning.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel
        Video Card: MSI N650TI-1GD5/V1 GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
        Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
        CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470
        CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N520
        Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
        Case: RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
        PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 80PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 650W Power Supply 120-PG-0650-GR
        Last edited by tplat; 02-19-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I highly recommend HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools freeware for monitoring and optional logging.
          You should download the 64-bit version.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Ok, thanks for the links.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            Welcome to the forum.

I highly recommend HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools freeware for monitoring and optional logging.
            You should download the 64-bit version.

Comment

Was checking stuff in Device Manager late last night and saw that it says one of the USB Root Hub devices is not working properly and so far have not been able o figure it out. The only USB devices I have plugged in are a Logitech G19 keyboard which I installed the latest drivers from their website, a HP Officejet J4550 All In One printer installed just the basic driver from HP`s website and the little USB reciever for my Logitech MS510 mouse. All seem to be working fine but while typing things out I noticed typing inconsistantcys that I don't normally make like having to double it a key for the letter to show up.

Comment

Got the USB driver thingy figured out. For some reason though my keyboard is still missing certain letters and space bar when I type. It looks likes its buffering.

Comment

How practical is it to back up ones hard drive to a USB flash drive?

Comment

Originally posted by tplat View Post
                    How practical is it to back up ones hard drive to a USB flash drive?
                    Hi tplat, I would say very practical, I have an Icy box with a western digtal black 1TB hard disk what I use to take back up images of our Laptops, I do mine through Esata and my wifes I do through usb, my Gaming rig I back up to internal sata 6 western digital black 500GB drive, I also have a Micro server running windows server 2011 which backs up all my Laptops, if you value your data then it's a must. My backup program I use is Acronis backup & recovery 10 advanced workstation, the server uses built in Windows Backup, if you go down the route of backing up to external usb try to get usb 3 interface for speed. You can get free backup programs aswell, such as Macrium reflect, clone zilla
                    Good luck with your new build
                    Regards
                    Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
                      Hi tplat, I would say very practical, I have an Icy box with a western digtal black 1TB hard disk what I use to take back up images of our Laptops, I do mine through Esata and my wifes I do through usb, my Gaming rig I back up to internal sata 6 western digital black 500GB drive, I also have a Micro server running windows server 2011 which backs up all my Laptops, if you value your data then it's a must. My backup program I use is Acronis backup & recovery 10 advanced workstation, the server uses built in Windows Backup, if you go down the route of backing up to external usb try to get usb 3 interface for speed. You can get free backup programs aswell, such as Macrium reflect, clone zilla
                      Good luck with your new build
                      Regards
                      Stephen
                      Thanks for the reply. I normaly use Acronis 11 to back up to an internal hard drive in an external docking station. I never used a USB flash drive for it nor know anyone who has and was wondering how practical it was. I also read that you can use a flash drive for a boot drive now that their big enough. The drives in my computer are WD Velociraptors, a main 500gb one for doing Blu Ray movies and a 300gb one for a back up of the operating system and programs I have installed. I just picked up a 64gb Patriot flash card that is only USB 2.0 that was on sale for $20.00 at Frys Electronics. Looks like they might be phasing out their stock of 2.0 flash drives since they have been putting quite a few of them on sale or just trying to get rid of old stock. I used to do beta testing and occasional tech support for a several dvd burning programs but got bored of it after a few years so kinda quit doing that and really haven't kept up on new computer stuff for quite a while until I had to build a new computer last week. If something would go wrong or get corrupted on a main hard drive I simply booted up the back up and used Acronis to clone the back up to the main.

Comment

Originally posted by tplat View Post
                        Thanks for the reply. I normaly use Acronis 11 to back up to an internal hard drive in an external docking station. I never used a USB flash drive for it nor know anyone who has and was wondering how practical it was. I also read that you can use a flash drive for a boot drive now that their big enough. The drives in my computer are WD Velociraptors, a main 500gb one for doing Blu Ray movies and a 300gb one for a back up of the operating system and programs I have installed. I just picked up a 64gb Patriot flash card that is only USB 2.0 that was on sale for $20.00 at Frys Electronics. Looks like they might be phasing out their stock of 2.0 flash drives since they have been putting quite a few of them on sale or just trying to get rid of old stock. I used to do beta testing and occasional tech support for a several dvd burning programs but got bored of it after a few years so kinda quit doing that and really haven't kept up on new computer stuff for quite a while until I had to build a new computer last week. If something would go wrong or get corrupted on a main hard drive I simply booted up the back up and used Acronis to clone the back up to the main.
                        Hi Yes sorry I missed the flash bit trust me, no I've never used a flash drive to do Os images but I had a friend who had a 64GB corsair flash drive that trashed on him, and it was not very old. I do however use a 8GB flash drive for my Acronis boot recovery as well as dvd disk, but I find usb flash drives great for Linux distros that I try out and boot as live drives, I also dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Ultimate Gamers version on my Dell Studio Xps Laptop, so how far have you got with the new build?
                        Regards
                        Stephen

Comment

My new build is up and running nicely right now. As for flash drives I prefer the Patriot brand. I`ve had stuff on them from pictures, program downloads and other misc. stuff for years and haven't lost anything on them due to malfunction. My oldest Patriot flash drive is a 2gb one that still works fine and is years old and still has stuff on it that old. Just learned how to change the setting to turn my computer on with the keyboard or mouse. Didn't know you could do that until I was looking around at stuff in the screen that F2 brings up. The last time I built a computer was about 6 years ago when I did beta testing for a few dvd burning programs and helped give tech support to others on their website LGSI Software Innovations, not related to LG electronics. Since its been years since I built a new computer I haven't been keeping up as much on all the new **** the newer set ups can do that isn't dvd related.

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
                          Hi Yes sorry I missed the flash bit trust me, no I've never used a flash drive to do Os images but I had a friend who had a 64GB corsair flash drive that trashed on him, and it was not very old. I do however use a 8GB flash drive for my Acronis boot recovery as well as dvd disk, but I find usb flash drives great for Linux distros that I try out and boot as live drives, I also dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Ultimate Gamers version on my Dell Studio Xps Laptop, so how far have you got with the new build?
                          Regards
                          Stephen

Comment

Tried asking this question in a different forum but so far no answers or opinions there. I`m thinking of upgrading from my monitor an HP W2207H to an Asus VE248H Black 24" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor. I occasionally play World Of Warcraft but mostly watch Blu Ray movies and such on my monitor and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Asus monitors or other brands. Right now Asus and a lot of retailers have put their monitors on sale and some also with rebates to clear out old inventory to make room for new models. The one I`m looking at listed above the newegg promo code ends tomorrow but Amazon just lowered their price on it to match.

Comment

I bought my Asus 24" VH242H in January, 2009 and it's still going strong.
                              Absolutely no pixel problems of any kind.
                              The monitor's menu is user hostile at best and is not at all intuitive, but after dialing in the settings, I haven't used the menu for the past 4 years.
                              No regrets at all with my monitor.

Right now I'm kind of thinking of buying a "shipped from Korea" 27 inch IPS monitor for $300 - $400. Going this route might be an unexpected adventure for many reasons. Surf the web and you will find articles, guides and forums that detail the good and possible bad points when you're not buying from an established name brand outfit.

The Newegg.com - 27" IPS, PLS Higher Resolution LCD / LED Monitors list includes several of the shipped from Korea to your home brands that you can order through Newegg if you're feeling lucky. Some of the brands appear to offer excellent quality monitors, but some claim that some of the monitors are "home made" using panels that were rejected by the major manufacturers. Be sure to carefully check out the specs, especially the type of video cables that are used in each model!

I'll probably chicken out and end up buying a name brand 24" IPS monitor that comes with a 3 year warranty.

I laughed and then winced when I found out what "Perfect Pixel" means in the monitor's description.
                              Last edited by profJim; 02-22-2014, 12:30 AM.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                              X