• Show
Clear All

• Problems with RAM.

z87 killer
    bios 1.10

I have 4 memory modules.
    2 module 8GB Kingston KVR16N11/8
    2 module 8GB Hynix MPPU8GBPC1600

When I install them all, the computer does not boot, but only emits three short beeps.
    If I set separately, or Kingston, or Hynix. Then everything works fine.

How to make them to work together, there may be a BIOS update or some settings?
    Please respond. This is very important.

Re: Problems with RAM.

From what I have read and been told years ago when I built my first PC is that you don't want to mix different brands of ram you want to go with the same exact ones when using more then one stick of memory. Also you should go with what your motherboard manufacturer lists as compatible ram. I looked up the basic specs on both brands of ram you have and the Kingston is 1.5v and the Hynix is 1.35v which is probably why your getting 3 beeps which is a memory error.

Comment

This is very bad. On the cheaper asus p8z77-v lx, these modules work together and there were no problems.

Comment

You were lucky to get both of the different modules to work together in your ASUS board, very lucky.

With older DDR2 memory, I could mix different memory on one board, and it would work. But with DDR3 and new hardware, with the memory controller in the CPU instead of the chipset, it is a miracle if two different types of memory work together.

We see people in this forum that try using two kits of the same memory that was bought a year apart, and it won't work because the memory chips are not matched.

The only thing you can try is setting ALL the memory settings to Auto, and the memory voltage at 1.5V, which should be fine with the Hynix memory. But that is just to get the PC to POST.

Also, put all the Hynix in one channel, and all the Kingston in the other channel, but if that works at all you are very lucky.

I agree with tplat, sorry to say, you just can't mix different modules and expect them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by DS2902 View Post
          This is very bad. On the cheaper asus p8z77-v lx, these modules work together and there were no problems.
          I remember when I built my first PC about 6 years ago I was told by a friend to check online with the motherboard manufacturer to make sure the ram I wanted to use was compatible well I forgot to do that and the ram I bought on newegg.com wasn't on the list but I got lucky and it worked fine. Some times you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Have you tried contacting their tech support?

Comment

Working...
          X