Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87M Extream4 i7-4770 Dual Monitor not working off onboard graphics

Hi,
    Trying to use two monitors with ASrock Z87M Extreme4 motherboard onboard graphics. The specs say that this motherboard supports triple monitors without the need for a graphics card as long as you have a supported CPU.
    I have
    ASrock Z87M Extreme4
    i7-4770 cpu
    Two Dell 1905FP monitors
    Main monitor is connected to D-sub connector and works perfectly.
    Second monitor is connected to the DVI-D port connector via a DVI-D to vga adapter.
    When I right click Desktop >Screen Resolution > Detect
    The second monitor shows up as the wrong size and the resolution button is greyed out .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dual-monitor.gif
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	756271
    If i extend it anyway the second monitor stays black but when you move a window across it seems to go there but still remains black.

Re: Z87M Extream4 i7-4770 Dual Monitor not working off onboard graphics

You should have no problem using multiple monitors with the Intel iGPU, it works fine on my ASR Z87 board. Be sure you have IGPU Multi-Monitor enabled in the BIOS.

I think your problem is the "DVI-D port connector via a DVI-D to vga adapter". I know those adapters are sold, but how well can it work adapting a pure digital video signal (DVI-D) to an analog video signal (VGA).

For example, this is a response to a product review about one of these adapters by the manufacture:

The RA-VGA-DVI-D adapter unfortunately does not do the conversion of digital to analog but it is simply an adapter to use a VGA monitor on a DVI-D connector if the signal has already been converted either by the video graphics card or converter box.

Using a DVI-D cable, which is supplied with your monitors according to what I read about it, should fix your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I think your problem is the "DVI-D port connector via a DVI-D to vga adapter". I know those adapters are sold, but how well can it work adapting a pure digital video signal (DVI-D) to an analog video signal (VGA).
      Might be a wee bit early to declare but I'm giving this two thumbs up.

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yes I have seen some similar posts on other forums about DVI-D to vga passive adapters causing similar problems. Turns out I have a DVI-D connector on the second monitor anyway so I will purchase a DVI_D cable and see if that works.
        Will post with results as soon as it arrives and if I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Might be a wee bit early to declare but I'm giving this two thumbs up.

Thanks, if only it was this easy to send someone a PM lately... or anytime!!

What I don't get is the manufacture's response that I posted above:

The RA-VGA-DVI-D adapter unfortunately does not do the conversion of digital to analog but it is simply an adapter to use a VGA monitor on a DVI-D connector if the signal has already been converted either by the video graphics card or converter box.

Why they call it a "DVI-D" to VGA adapter make no sense. The DVI video interface is not complicated at its basic level:

DVI-D: Digital only

DVI-I: Digital and Analog

DVI-A: Analog only (anyone ever have a connector like that?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVI plug types.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	754212

Note what the DVI-I and DVI-A connectors have in common, the four connections placed around the horizontal bar on the left side in the picture. Those four pins are the main Analog signals, which do not exist in the DVI-D connector, no pins around the horizontal bar. That picture is missing a vertical bar in the same area as the horizontal bar, which together looks like a '+' sign on the DVI-I and DVI-A connectors, which is the Analog ground connection.

An adapter could work if it is used with a DVI-I output on the video source (DVI-A output would work too, but who uses that?) Calling a passive adapter DVI-D to VGA is just plain wrong terminology, it simply won't work. A passive DVI-I to VGA adapter would work, and requires a DVI-I output on the video source.

That last part is also part of the problem for balcoder, since I see his Z87 Extreme 4 board has a DVI-D output for the Intel graphics. The Z87 Extreme 6 board happens to have a DVI-I output for the Intel graphics, for example, so balcoder was nailed by this small detail. ASRock does label them correctly on each board, I must say, and the detailed specs describe that briefly. A passive adapter won't work on the DVI-D output on the Z87 Extreme 4 board, sorry to say.

The blame for this solely lies in the marketing of the adapter as a passive DVI-D to VGA adapter. One example of this I found would not even work if it was connected to a DVI-I video output, there are no analog connections on the DVI side of the adapter:

Rosewill RA-VGA-DVI-D 25pin (24+1) DVI-D Male to 15pin VGA Female Adapter - Newegg.com

Some reviews say this device works, but how is beyond me, given that the picture in the link is correct. The four connectors that must be around the horizontal bar for an Analog signal are not there!

If someone can explain how an Analog signal can be passed via a DVI-D passive connection given the pin-outs for DVI connectors in this link, I'd love to know how: File:DVI pinout.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Hi guys,

Go the DVI-D cable and all is working well.
            As was said above DVI-D to VGA pass through connectors just don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by balcoder View Post
              Go the DVI-D cable and all is working well.
              As was said above DVI-D to VGA pass through connectors just don't work.
              That's great. Thanks for posting that.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Which I assume means the dual monitor operation is working, which it should.

Calling that adapter DVI-D to VGA is a mistake, I wonder if that's just the marketing dept. not knowing what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Which I assume means the dual monitor operation is working, which it should.

Calling that adapter DVI-D to VGA is a mistake, I wonder if that's just the marketing dept. not knowing what they're doing.
                  Yes dual monitor working now with DVI-D cable.
                  Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                  X