Windows XP Won't Shutdown with GA-M68MT-S2 rev. 3.1 Mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Won't Shutdown with GA-M68MT-S2 rev. 3.1 Mobo

I am having problems with the first rig in my sig ... This has been a problem with just this mobo. All others I have had doesn't have this problem. When I have window shutdown it will shutdown for a fraction of a second then boot back up. I've had this problem for quick sometime, then I did an update where I formatted another hard drive and did a fresh install of XP. After reinstalling a few programs the problem began again. Before I did the upgrade I had a dual boot of XP and Win7 both OS would not shut down with this mobo. I have tried going into the system properties in the startup and recovery section and unchecked automatically shutdown, but that didn't change things ... I tried going back to the default setting in the bios, that was no good. Tried updating the bios ... that didn't work. I don't know what it is about this mobo, but it will not shutdown the os. Any ideas what the problem could be please post. Thanks for reading my post.
    Rig 1 FX 8120_GA-78LMT_USB3 Ver6_4 DDR3 1600_GTX280_XPx32
    Rig 2 i7 4770k_GA-H81M-HD3_8 DDR3 1333_GTX660_7x64

Re: Windows XP Won't Shutdown with GA-M68MT-S2 rev. 3.1 Mobo

I don't know if this will be of any help, but when the computer sits idle and the screen saver comes on then the screen will go to sleep ... both xp and win 7 with the amd processor would shut down on it's own.
    Update: I've had this processor and board for a couple of years and it has never been able to shut down winxp or win7 ... it will simply reboot. I lived with it by unplugging it before it booting again.

I did an upgrade on my main computer and made the FX 8120 my second computer ... when I did a fresh install on a different hard drive I thought my rebooting problem would be over, but it carries on. I installed XP Pro 32 bit.

I got a link to a driver with this info ...

Quote:
    Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.
    Released: 9/1/2007
    and this

Quote:
    The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This driver is for Windows XP only.
    Released: 7/31/2008
    I tried both but neither worked. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated

Comment

You know what ... I tried updating the bios with the software provided at the mobo site, but it won't work. According to Belarc my bios is FB 08/26/2011 and the lastest at the site as you can see is FC 2012/06/05. There are only 3 files when I unzip it and one is a flash application ... I click on it ... and briefly see a black box ... then nothing. Maybe this upgrade will help, but how do I get it to work?

Comment

I was able to upgrade the bios, but that didn't solve the problem ... still looking for a solution. Checked the reg. to see if the power down value was correct ... it was ... updated the drivers for the cpu ... so I'm still looking.

Comment

Well sir .... I put in a ticket with Gigabyte and I got this message ...

Dear customer,

Please try the following:

1) Go to Bios, press "Delete" during Bios start up screen

2) Go to"Power management"

3) Disable "PME Event wake up"

4) Press "F10" to save and exit.

Thank you.

Computer will now shut down ... I pretty much posted to myself in this thread, but I like to help others by posting the solution to this problem so those with this problem can fix it ... so I will mark this one as PROBLEM SOLVED.

Comment

Boy, had I tried everything, God bless you helped me a lot.
            Rapaz, eu tentei de tudo, Deus abençoe, você me ajudou muito. 07/2023

Comment

Working...
            X