Can't access BIOS Settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access BIOS Settings?

Hey all, I just recently updated my BIOS settings to 1.30 (It being the latest version according the website that my E6750 processor could support) and when I go to press F2 on the boot up, nothing happens and the computer boots up as normal.

I've tried pressing it once, holding it in, pressing it repeatedly and none of them have been successful.

Thanks in advance, Ross.

Re: Can't access BIOS Settings?

I get to ask the Million Dollar Question again.

And the motherboard isssss ............?

And OS? Fastboot? USB KB?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ah apologies, I thought when I entered all of my info in when I registered it would appear in my sig!Here's everything you need to know, (along with a 650W PSU)My motherboard is a Conroe 1333 DVI/H EDIT: Why can I only upload one image per post? :/
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BV_Ross; 04-08-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Ross,

Not that it matters at this point until you get the F2 to enter the BIOS but BIOS v1.30 is the minimum req'd that supports your E6750. Meaning next time you can get back into the BIOS to flash, you'd be best to flash to the latest offered. That being 2.10.

Something weird is going on concerning the ASRock site for this board. Both the Conroe 1333 DVI/H rev1.0 and Conroe 1333 DVI/H rev2.0 boards are showing the BIOS downloads as all R2.0 BIOSes.

Please use THIS link and submit a Ticket to Tech Support and inquire if in fact the BIOSes for rev1.0 boards are applicable to the rev2.0 boards.

But before you do you'll want to look alongside the yellow ram slot closest to the CPU and under where it's silkscreened "Conroe 1333 DVI/H" and determine just what rev your board is. And include this rev in your Ticket you open with them.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Did you try the Delete key?

No Fastboot on this board. Newer BIOS versions look like they may be essential for proper operation. But as wardog said, check if there is a difference between versions of this board and the BIOS files.

Can't see anything about your hardware, what keyboard are you using, USB, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Did you try the Delete key?
            Oh aren't you just Captain Obvious tonight.

I read through that post of theirs so fast THAT tidbit escaped my attention. Duh. I picked up F2 and ran towards my own goal post didn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              Oh aren't you just Captain Obvious tonight.

I read through that post of theirs so fast THAT tidbit escaped my attention. Duh. I picked up F2 and ran towards my own goal post didn't I?
              Just sayin'

Comment

Ross,

Not that it matters at this point until you get the F2 to enter the BIOS but BIOS v1.30 is the minimum req'd that supports your E6750. Meaning next time you can get back into the BIOS to flash, you'd be best to flash to the latest offered. That being 2.10.

Something weird is going on concerning the ASRock site for this board. Both the Conroe 1333 DVI/H rev1.0 and Conroe 1333 DVI/H rev2.0 boards are showing the BIOS downloads as all R2.0 BIOSes.

Please use THIS link and submit a Ticket to Tech Support and inquire if in fact the BIOSes for rev1.0 boards are applicable to the rev2.0 boards.

But before you do you'll want to look alongside the yellow ram slot closest to the CPU and under where it's silkscreened "Conroe 1333 DVI/H" and determine just what rev your board is. And include this rev in your Ticket you open with them.
                Thank you so much for that extremely insightful answer!

I checked my motherboard and it seems to be a rev 2.0 board. Does that mean its capable for the latest 2.10 version?

I'll send my ticket to them now, but if I update my BIOS to 2.10 (or 2 - depending on your/their guidance) should that enable me to get into my BIOS Settings?

Thanks again, Ross.

Comment

Ross, first try pressing the Delete key while booting to see if you can get into the BIOS.

The F2 key at/during boot on an ASROCK motherboard serves no purpose that I know of. It's the DEL or Delete key that you want to be using. When I posted that, re F2 key, I had a different manufacturer in mind. That, and I apologize for misleading you.

Use the Delete key to enter the BIOS, NOT the F2 key.

It "seems' to be a rev2.0 board? You don't sound convincing there.

Comment

A bit difficult identifying which board is the R1.0 and R2.0, first the R1.0:

ASRock > ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0

Next, the R2.0 version:

ASRock > ConRoe1333-DVI/H R2.0

The main difference physically between these boards is the R2.0 version has four DIMM slots, while the R1.0 version has two DIMM slots.

So it should be easy for BV_Ross to identify which board he has. The network chips on each of these boards is different, the R1.0 version has the Realtek PCIE x1 LAN 8101E 10/100 Ethernet chip, the R2.0 Realtek RTL8111B 10/100/1000 Mb/s.

You might also notice that the BIOS versions for each board are now different, as of 4/09/2014.

BIOS updates for these boards list two different CPU microcode updates, the R1.0 version, Add microcode 6FD/A1, the R2.0 version, Add CPU microcode M016FDA1.

IMO, given these differences in hardware, you cannot use the BIOS from one board in another. I would be surprised if the BIOS update tool did not reject a BIOS file for the other version board, it should if coded correctly.

If you have the R2.0 version, then you can use the version 2.10 BIOS. But there is nothing special about it that will allow you to enter the BIOS UI that other version don't have. Something else is wrong, such as the function keys on your keyboard are not active when you can enter the BIOS. Try the Del key.

Questions, were you able to get into the BIOS with the previous BIOS version? What type of keyboard are you using?

Comment

hehehe, someone other than me is posting while tired I see. "ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0"??? Yet not content there you even go on to state the differences your dreary eyes are feeding the sleepy gray matter.
                      :notnearenoughfunnyemoticonstoexpressmyROTFLMAOfee lingrightnow: :thumb:

Here ya are. Give a go at the below two.

ASRock > ConRoe1333-DVI/H

Just sayin' .
                      Last edited by - wardog -; 04-10-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Ross, first try pressing the Delete key while booting to see if you can get into the BIOS.

The F2 key at/during boot on an ASROCK motherboard serves no purpose that I know of. It's the DEL or Delete key that you want to be using. When I posted that, re F2 key, I had a different manufacturer in mind. That, and I apologize for misleading you.

Use the Delete key to enter the BIOS, NOT the F2 key.

It "seems' to be a rev2.0 board? You don't sound convincing there.
                        Sorry for not sounding convincing, but yet it is 100% a rev2.0 board!

Also, I have tried the DEL and Delete buttons too, and still nothing happens. The manual for this motherboard states that F2 is required to be pressed to access BIOS.

Next, the R2.0 version:

The main difference physically between these boards is the R2.0 version has four DIMM slots, while the R1.0 version has two DIMM slots.

So it should be easy for BV_Ross to identify which board he has. The network chips on each of these boards is different, the R1.0 version has the Realtek PCIE x1 LAN 8101E 10/100 Ethernet chip, the R2.0 Realtek RTL8111B 10/100/1000 Mb/s.

You might also notice that the BIOS versions for each board are now different, as of 4/09/2014.

BIOS updates for these boards list two different CPU microcode updates, the R1.0 version, Add microcode 6FD/A1, the R2.0 version, Add CPU microcode M016FDA1.

IMO, given these differences in hardware, you cannot use the BIOS from one board in another. I would be surprised if the BIOS update tool did not reject a BIOS file for the other version board, it should if coded correctly.

If you have the R2.0 version, then you can use the version 2.10 BIOS. But there is nothing special about it that will allow you to enter the BIOS UI that other version don't have. Something else is wrong, such as the function keys on your keyboard are not active when you can enter the BIOS. Try the Del key.

Questions, were you able to get into the BIOS with the previous BIOS version? What type of keyboard are you using?
                        Thanks for the reply! I have never required to access BIOS before, so I am not sure whether I could before I updated it. I am using a Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 1.0A, according the underside of it :)

Comment

Ross, In posting what follows I'm not questioning your knowledge or integrity. Simply asking, innocent like.

Are you doing this F2 while the "F Lock" key on that KB is enabled/being pressed along with F2?

Also, is it connected via USB or PS/2? If USB try connecting it via PS/2 and retry.

Comment

Ross, In posting what follows I'm not questioning your knowledge or integrity. Simply asking, innocent like.

Are you doing this F2 while the "F Lock" key on that KB is enabled/being pressed along with F2?

Also, is it connected via USB or PS/2? If USB try connecting it via PS/2 and retry.
                            Don't worry I am extremely new to all of this, so feel free to make the questions as simple as possible, but no the F Lock is not on.

Also it's via PS/2. The F2 button works whilst the computer boots up, indicating that it is not a problem with the keyboard, or the button itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BV_Ross View Post
                              Don't worry I am extremely new to all of this, so feel free to make the questions as simple as possible, ...
                              Thank you. Some go ballistic, yet there are things that I from here aren't aware of or can't see.

Good. PS/2. Ol' reliable.

RE: F2 and F Lock

From what I'm reading concerning this KB, the F Lock key must also be pressed in combination at the same time as F2. Can you please test this during the beginnings of POST/reboot and see if the BIOS somehow magically appears

Comment

Working...
                              X