Max Memory Questions ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 775 chipset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Memory Questions ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 775 chipset

Good day everyone. I hope this post finds you in good heath & spirits. I just purchased ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 775 chipset

I will be installing a Intel Q9650 cpu
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 cpu cooler
    I have windows 7 home premium
    I was reading up with crucial that
    • Windows 7 Home Premium: can max out at 16 GB
      would it be possible for me to max this board out w/ 2 identical 8 gig sticks 8x8 w/ a total of 16gigs of ram?

Also with ddr3 memory out there on the market wouldn't this be a better purchase to purchase ddr3 as it's much cheaper than ddr2 and they are both considered sdram?
      I'm sorry for posting about a older board but this one is brand new in a box bought off ebay and I am waiting for it too arrive. Sure just would like to max it out and use it for gaming. Thanks again

Re: Max Memory Questions ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 775 chipset

Unfortunately, your board will only accept DDR2 memory. DDR3 will not even fit in the memory slots this board has. They, DDR / DDR2 / DDR3, are keyed differently to keep users from doing just what you're contemplating.

As for the MAX memory question, I' suggest searching the forum here and seeing if anyones gone over the 8GB Max the boards page details.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I'm surprised ASRock is saying this board can use 8GB of memory, since the original specs of the G31 chipset, which contains the memory controller, states a 4GB limit:

ARK | Intel® G31 Express Chipset (Intel® 82G31 Graphics and Memory Controller)

The following is from the G31 chipset data sheet:

The (G)MCH supports 36 bit addressing. The maximum main memory size supported
      is 4 GB total DRAM memory. A hole between TOLUD and 4 GB occurs when main
      memory size approaches 4 GB or larger. As a result, TOM, and TOUUD registers and
      RECLAIMBASE/RECLAIMLIMIT registers become relevant.

But that apparently was a limit that was able to be surpassed. I would not expect the 8GB limit to be again surpassed. The next question would be, do 8GB DDR2 DIMMs exist?

Comment

Hello Wardog :-) Parsec :-) ty for the info. I must say it's been a head ache trying too find ddr2 ram at a decent price. I dunno if it's just that it's outdated or what. I did find some ram but I would hope someone could verify that it will work in my mobo or not or direct me too a more valued priced location:
        Plz excuse me for the link I am just showing for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-667MHz-Buffered-Desktop/dp/tech-data/B000JQV8HE/ref=de_a_smtd/192-4188224-0267058

Gosh it sure would be nice if ddr3 would work in this mobo anyhoo any help would be muchly appreciated. T/c & look forward too a heads up.

Comment

The memory you linked to; Amazon.com: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 667MHz DDR2 ECC Fully Buffered CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) Dual Rank x4 Desktop Memory will not work because the specifications for your motherboard state:
          • Dual Channel DDR2 memory technology
          • 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
          • Supports DDR2 800/667 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
          • Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB

I don't know of any LGA775 non-server motherboards that will work with ECC Fully Buffered memory installed.

Other than buying used memory kits from eBay, CraigsList, or a local pc recycling store, you might be better off buying a used P35 or P45 motherboard that uses ddr3 memory or the option to use ddr2 or ddr3 (but not both at the same time) memory kits.

Six months ago I lucked out when I bought the following hardware at a very reasonable price from a local private seller on CraigsList:
          • Q9650 quad core cpu
          • Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboard
          • 16GB (8x2GB) OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 (1066MHz, cas5) High performance memory
          • Noctua NH-C12P downdraft cpu cooler and NF-P12 fan
          • HD 4670 video card
          • assorted other hardware

I already had a new new Seasonic 660 watt 80Plus Platinum power supply and computer case.
          As I recall, at that time, high performance used 2x2GB ddr2 memory kits were selling for $60 (or much more) for each kit.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by Spockton View Post
            Hello Wardog :-) Parsec :-) ty for the info. I must say it's been a head ache trying too find ddr2 ram at a decent price. I dunno if it's just that it's outdated or what. I did find some ram but I would hope someone could verify that it will work in my mobo or not or direct me too a more valued priced location:
            Plz excuse me for the link I am just showing for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-667MHz-Buffered-Desktop/dp/tech-data/B000JQV8HE/ref=de_a_smtd/192-4188224-0267058

Gosh it sure would be nice if ddr3 would work in this mobo anyhoo any help would be muchly appreciated. T/c & look forward too a heads up.
            wardog is right about DDR3 memory not working in a DDR2 memory slot, as he said the two types are physically incompatible and made that way specifically to prevent using one type in the others slot.

The current market for DDR2 memory is small and no new boards are being made that can use it, for quite a while. That's really the fault of the system's memory controller which is now part of the CPU itself, and DDR3 memory has been used for about four years now to match the memory controllers. Yes, they only use DDR3 memory.

How about something from this retailer: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM, Newegg

Comment

I have been looking for 2 (4) gig sticks of ram thats not going to rape my wallet. I've found ram as high as $300.00 "for 2 sticks" and as low as 79.00 "per stick" all new. Can't find any used unfortunately.
              I have been searching ebay, tigerdirect, directron, & many others. Newegg I won't do business with.

* I just purchased the wrong ram and contacting the vendor * Just realized it was server & no desktop * sorry for edit & update *
              Last edited by Spockton; 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I have been looking for 2 (4) gig sticks of ram thats not going to rape my wallet. I've found ram as high as $300.00 "for 2 sticks" and as low as 79.00 "per stick" all new. Can't find any used unfortunately.
                I have been searching ebay, tigerdirect, directron, & many others. Newegg I won't do business with.

* I just purchased the wrong ram and contacting the vendor * Just realized it was server & no desktop * sorry for edit & update *
                Good luck finding cheap 4GB DIMMs, the cheapest one on Newegg (no Newegg??) is $105 each. 4GB DIMMs were relatively rare in the DDR2 days, 2GB DIMMs are the most common.

Hmm, just found my Corsair DDR2 800 2 x 2GB XMS2 5 5 5 18 memory for $73. My similar Patriot DDR2 memory is not listed.

Prof Jim, sounds like you got quite a steal with that PC, including the 8GB DDR2 DIMMs.

Comment

Yea, your wallet's gonna get a reach around for 2x4GB sticks. Plain and simple.

Bummer is this board has only two memory slots. Maybe time time to regroup and look at things from a different angle?
                  #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                  ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    Prof Jim, sounds like you got quite a steal with that PC, including the 8GB DDR2 DIMMs.
                    Just to clarify, my purchase included four 2x2GB memory kits but I'm obviously limited to using 8GB in two systems.
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Yes it sure is limited. Sure wish there was a expansion memory card slot that could go into it. The 2x2x2x2 would work great then & it's looking like i'm gonna have to look over seas. NewEgg but if they wanna F me for over 28.00 on a 2.68 item with express handling 1 day shipping they can go somewhere not worth saying here. I got all the ddr2 ram for 2x2 but it would be just so much nicer too put the 2x4 into it and be done & fully maxed. Or a module that ddr3 could be installed :P One could only wish & hope ah lol
                      Well in a couple days I'll be ordering my 2x4 ddr2 ram @ 36.00 a stick "new". I may have to pay import costs. Dunno but in 34 days should know more. Until then I'll keep ev1 posted.
                      Can't wait till this project is done then working on building a new system from ground up with "Todays" technology amd.

Comment

Can't wait till this project is done then working on building a new system from ground up with "Todays" technology amd.
                        hehe, man do you know where to hit parsec and profJim and make it count.

AMD. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                          hehe, man do you know where to hit parsec and profJim and make it count.

AMD. Love it!
                          Puh-leeze! I imagine Spockton was referring to his vintage 2007 G31 board, relative to some new components from AMD.

Only one word was left out of that statement, the 'B' word...

Comment

Lol @ wardog & persec... well guys I do have to say that this has been one hell of a challenge. stayed up for hours on end for days for days looking for memory then installed the motherboard and everything is working except for the VGA and the USB mouse and USB keyboard. I'm almost at end wits and almost ready to throw this thing out the window of my three story balcony. I just got done working on this thing for the last 8 hours.... last time I made a build it took me 2&a half hours. I even tried going with my nv I don't know what to do how mad I just don't knowidia card 8400 so at least I could see what the hell but damn damn thing is doing nope still blank screen no not reading nothing on a flat screen monitor. so what do you guys suggest throw it over the balcony? everything boots up just fine and the fans work great I put the CD ROM in there that came with the motherboard and yeah it's just not reading the VGA and or anything USB. I can't figure it out and I've been all over everywhere looking up to see what I can find and I can't find jack squad dick

Comment

How do you know if it is booting, which to me means it loads and runs your OS, Windows in this case.

So no video from the onboard video, and from a video card, an 8400 it seems? Your stress is apparent in your post, some of it is hard to read.

Do you have the four pin CPU power cable connected, as well as the 20/24 pin standard PSU connector? You must use both.

I notice this board seems to have some type of jumper system for FSB settings? A small table is printed on the board, next to the memory slots and north bridge heat sink. Do those need to be set correctly for the memory used? Check the manual.

BTW, what memory are you using now? What PSU are you using?

I would remove the video card, clear the BIOS/CMOS, use the onboard video, and try again. If you get no video, I doubt you are booting at all. What would you be booting anyway, are you using a Windows installation from another PC?

Comment

Working...
                              X