Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying ssd as cache... lost data from hdd

Hello,

Following a guide from the internet I tried to use my ssd as a cache to my 3tb hdd. (I used it as os
    drive for the last year and I thought I'd have a go as a cache).

My 3tb is set up 100gb free from a Windows that used to be, and the rest a data partition (2.6tb)

What I did:
    1.Secure Erased my ssd
    2. Switched from ahci to raid
    3. Installed win7 with no issues in the free 100 GB that was free on my HDD

When win setup rebooted, it said that windows needs to check my data partition (the 2.6 one) but then it gave an error. Windows booted. I decided to check the partition again. The check went OK but got stuck at the end after it finished SDS or something like that. Eventually I force closed the check, and noticed that 200gb of data seem to be missing (explorer reports 700gb free instead of what I used to have, 500gb).

I sort of panicked and shut it down (safely) and disconnected the HDD, reverted to ahci and reinstalled win on ssd, plunged in the hdd and booted, did a scan (which currently seems stuck at "xxxxxxxx USN bytes processed ". But my HDD free space went back down to " normal" 500gb free.

my question is what did I do wrong and is there an official guide to using Intel rapid storage for ssd caching?

Thanks

Re: trying ssd as cache... lost data from hdd

Originally posted by danny54 View Post
    Hello,

Following a guide from the internet I tried to use my ssd as a cache to my 3tb hdd. (I used it as os
    drive for the last year and I thought I'd have a go as a cache).

My 3tb is set up 100gb free from a Windows that used to be, and the rest a data partition (2.6tb)

What I did:
    1.Secure Erased my ssd
    2. Switched from ahci to raid
    3. Installed win7 with no issues in the free 100 GB that was free on my HDD

When win setup rebooted, it said that windows needs to check my data partition (the 2.6 one) but then it gave an error. Windows booted. I decided to check the partition again. The check went OK but got stuck at the end after it finished SDS or something like that. Eventually I force closed the check, and noticed that 200gb of data seem to be missing (explorer reports 700gb free instead of what I used to have, 500gb).

I sort of panicked and shut it down (safely) and disconnected the HDD, reverted to ahci and reinstalled win on ssd, plunged in the hdd and booted, did a scan (which currently seems stuck at "xxxxxxxx USN bytes processed ". But my HDD free space went back down to " normal" 500gb free.

my question is what did I do wrong and is there an official guide to using Intel rapid storage for ssd caching?

Thanks
    Given your description, you never configured your SSD and HDD as a caching system, since you had just finished your new Win 7 installation. So using a SSD for the HDD's cache has nothing to do with your "missing data" issue, since a caching configuration did not exist as far as I know.

The extra free space seen by Explorer at one point (700GB vs 500GB) is something I can't explain from your description. Since you have a 3TB drive, is that drive formatted with a GPT partition table? Is all your data on the HDD intact?

If you install the Intel Rapid Storage driver package for Windows, part of the package is the IRST UI that allows you to create and manage RAID volumes, and create a SSD caching system. The latter is called Intel Smart Response Technology, or accelerating the storage system. The IRST UI has an extensive Help support option, that opens a separate window with information about creating RAID arrays and creating a SSD/HDD caching system, and its requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Given your description, you never configured your SSD and HDD as a caching system, since you had just finished your new Win 7 installation. So using a SSD for the HDD's cache has nothing to do with your "missing data" issue, since a caching configuration did not exist as far as I know.

The extra free space seen by Explorer at one point (700GB vs 500GB) is something I can't explain from your description. Since you have a 3TB drive, is that drive formatted with a GPT partition table? Is all your data on the HDD intact?

If you install the Intel Rapid Storage driver package for Windows, part of the package is the IRST UI that allows you to create and manage RAID volumes, and create a SSD caching system. The latter is called Intel Smart Response Technology, or accelerating the storage system. The IRST UI has an extensive Help support option, that opens a separate window with information about creating RAID arrays and creating a SSD/HDD caching system, and its requirements.
      The data came back(almost all of it) after disabling raid and doing a couple more check disks.

So I did nothing wrong? Are we supposed to be able to change from ahci to raid a hdd that already had data on it?
      Yes, both the hdd and ssd were gpt..

Comment

you cant switch to raid without a clean install of windows or doing a reg tweak to enable the raid drivers to install themselves without re install of windows

then you can setup caching,you shouldn't lose any data as the data stored on the caching ssd gets written to the os hdd now and again
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
          you cant switch to raid without a clean install of windows or doing a reg tweak to enable the raid drivers to install themselves without re install of windows

then you can setup caching,you shouldn't lose any data as the data stored on the caching ssd gets written to the os hdd now and again
          I did do a clean install (on the hdd, the ssd was empty waiting to be made cache), and that clean install on first boot wanted to check my data partition, which it failed, the boot continued and then I gave it a manual check, which was finding lots of errors and deleting orphan objects. Only those objects weren't orphan... after I switched back to ahci and reinstalled Windows again, I did another check which did the opposite and brought my files back (almost all of them). So the data I lost was on the hdd. Don't know why. I used Seagate hdd tool and the drive appears healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by danny54 View Post
            The data came back(almost all of it) after disabling raid and doing a couple more check disks.

So I did nothing wrong? Are we supposed to be able to change from ahci to raid a hdd that already had data on it?
            Yes, both the hdd and ssd were gpt..
            It seems that you are not at all familiar with RAID and the concepts you need to know to create and work with RAID arrays.

In general, changing the SATA mode in the BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode, or RAID to AHCI mode should cause zero changes to any disk drives on the PC, or to the data on those drives (with some more explanation to follow.) The same is true when installing Windows in AHCI or RAID mode.

Setting the SATA mode to RAID does not cause any of the drives on the PC to become RAID arrays. The SATA mode can be set to RAID, and all the drives on a PC will be exactly the same as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. With the SATA mode set to RAID, you can have all the drives on the PC function identically as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. That is how they will work until the user actually creates a RAID array.

There are several types of RAID arrays which are given numeric designations, 0, 1, 5, and 10 are the types available with Intel's software and chipset support. SSD caching is a new type of RAID 0 array. There are other types that can be used with more sophisticated, separate RAID cards.

All the types of RAID arrays must be configured and created by the PC user. While most of the work is done automatically by the RAID system software, the user must specify the basic parameters of a RAID array, and start the creation process manually.

A RAID array is a combination of two or more disk drives, or multiple partitions on one or more disk drives, into one logical drive as seen by the user and OS.

When a RAID array is created (except for a caching array), all data on the drive(s) involved is deleted. You are given the option to save the data on the drive(s), but of course must have other drives that can accept the data. Or the drives can be backed up before they are used for RAID arrays.

You obviously IMO need to study about RAID or at least how to create a caching system before you attempt to create one. The Intel RAID software I mentioned earlier with its help option is the best source to learn what you need to know.

Since we have no idea what mother board you are using, I can't point you to the appropriate Intel RAID software that you need. The software is not the only way to create Intel RAID arrays, but is the best thing to use for the novice user. What board are you using? You are using Window 7, correct?

You were working with separate partitions on your HDD, so were both partitions on the HDD set up as GPT?

I can't comment about the apparently varying amount of data or free space on your HDD, I don't have enough information.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              It seems that you are not at all familiar with RAID and the concepts you need to know to create and work with RAID arrays.

In general, changing the SATA mode in the BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode, or RAID to AHCI mode should cause zero changes to any disk drives on the PC, or to the data on those drives (with some more explanation to follow.) The same is true when installing Windows in AHCI or RAID mode.

Setting the SATA mode to RAID does not cause any of the drives on the PC to become RAID arrays. The SATA mode can be set to RAID, and all the drives on a PC will be exactly the same as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. With the SATA mode set to RAID, you can have all the drives on the PC function identically as if the SATA mode was set to AHCI. That is how they will work until the user actually creates a RAID array.

There are several types of RAID arrays which are given numeric designations, 0, 1, 5, and 10 are the types available with Intel's software and chipset support. SSD caching is a new type of RAID 0 array. There are other types that can be used with more sophisticated, separate RAID cards.

All the types of RAID arrays must be configured and created by the PC user. While most of the work is done automatically by the RAID system software, the user must specify the basic parameters of a RAID array, and start the creation process manually.

A RAID array is a combination of two or more disk drives, or multiple partitions on one or more disk drives, into one logical drive as seen by the user and OS.

When a RAID array is created (except for a caching array), all data on the drive(s) involved is deleted. You are given the option to save the data on the drive(s), but of course must have other drives that can accept the data. Or the drives can be backed up before they are used for RAID arrays.

You obviously IMO need to study about RAID or at least how to create a caching system before you attempt to create one. The Intel RAID software I mentioned earlier with its help option is the best source to learn what you need to know.

Since we have no idea what mother board you are using, I can't point you to the appropriate Intel RAID software that you need. The software is not the only way to create Intel RAID arrays, but is the best thing to use for the novice user. What board are you using? You are using Window 7, correct?

You were working with separate partitions on your HDD, so were both partitions on the HDD set up as GPT?

I can't comment about the apparently varying amount of data or free space on your HDD, I don't have enough information.
              Thanks for the detailed response,

I am using win7, motherboard is a asrock z77 extreme 4, both hdd and ssd were gpt. Windows 7 was installed in uefi mode (with bios set on raid) on the first partition of the hdd.

I never got as far as installing the Intel rapid storage program, the disk check error came the first time Windows booted up, and i did a manual disk checkon first boot. Which was erasing my files. Then I got scared I did something wrong and turned it all off (safely) and installed in normal ahci.

So you are saying that the error had nothing to do with changing to raid. Could it be that I didn't connect the cables properly? Even though that's hard to believe considering sata cables should be easy to get right.

Thanks again for liking at my post.
              Last edited by danny54; 06-06-2014, 02:06 AM. Reason: deleted wrong quote

Comment

Working...
              X